CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
The one thing with penalties that drives me crazy is the lining up off-sides thing. Last I checked we were leading the league in off-sides penalties with 12. Lining up off-sides is something you learn to avoid in pee wee football.
I think that is a Dan Quinn thing that he learned from Carroll. IIRC, the Seahawks led the league in offsides and neutral zone infractions in 2014.

Their theory while Quinn was DC there was that the refs aren’t going to penalize them all the time.

Fmart322

Reaction score
I can tell you that I didn't the McCarthy would have been this good for the Cowboys. Has he been great, no, but better then I thought.
Hopefully he's the 1st HC to win a SB with 2 different teams.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
Big Mike is an improvement over JG, IMO but still no championships and that's all I care about. Maybe it's coming, maybe not.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This one you're in left field upon. Tyron Smith, Tyler Smith, Zac Martin are all top shelf. Those three alone can keep any group fully functional. Look again...there is plenty of other talent to keep the standard top shelf.

You need to pay attention to the changes in time for passes as well and yardage productions have steadily improved and will some more as the season progresses. The strength of the passing game is just starting to come into view and with more field stretching the running will continue until it is again a top 10 level against all comers. The past four to five games it already improved to a strength again.

The Cowboys offensive line isn’t flawless by any means, but they are improving at a time when offensive line play is absolutely critical, and they have yet to plateau. A case can be made they have yet to reach their full potential and the best days are still to come.

The biggest factor in their continued ascent is clearly their continued health. Tyron Smith hasn’t played a full season since seemingly the Bush administration. He’s already missed time and is currently on a special practice schedule that preserves him for game day. But at the same time, he’s currently graded as the No. 2 OT in the NFL, so if Smith can stay healthy, the sky is the limit for the Dallas offensive line.

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-offensive-line/

In Ben Baldwin’s recent composite rankings consisting of PFF, SIS, and ESPN grades, the Cowboys offensive line has moved up to 14th in pass protection and fifth in run blocking.

Pollard:

He has had runs of 14, 22, 27, and 21 yards (touchdown run vs. Carolina) as his explosiveness is starting to return.
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-cowboys-run-game-key-best-5-trending-right-tony-pollard

Statistical indicators are starting to return for the running game, also.

Pollard's run average is back up to 4.0
Dowdle's run average is up to 4.3
as much as I can get on board and agree with most of that,

the thing you're missing here is how bad those defenses were, we just went through a stretch it's going to be easiest all year,

so we should have seen improvement but what are they going to do next week against the Eagles let alone this week coming with Seattle when the fronts start getting tougher??

how are we going to play? I mean especially in the playoffs that's what I'm worried about, we actually have had some very good production from our run game our line most seasons, until the playoffs and then when we play the 49ers or a front seven, or last year they had a problem with Washington before they got rid of two of their good players... I mean they traded off people, let's be real here so we won't see a real test until these next two weeks and then probably the playoffs before we meet another front that can handle us as i described 4–5-man fronts take away our run and give us under 2 secs to throw while playing max coverages, tough to win and still jury's out on that.

So is it our offensive line coming together with our running backs or is it just an illusion because the teams we just played and bragging about four yards a carry for a guy like Pollard is not very good I realize he's been better the last two games but again it's the competition so we will see...

JayFord

Reaction score
anybody saying big mac is a fraud or he sucks is someone who probably walks around with bowel movements in the front of their pants

CCBoy

Reaction score
Regular season accomplishments with one of the more stacked teams talent wise in football means nothing to anyone besides stat chasers.

Still have issues beating winning teams, to many penalties, undisciplined, and come out flat for playoff games

But yes miles above the JG era.
Not true as this is a team sport and good play is rewarded. That is what a fan is for...not strutting like a turkey only for a top award. Awards are the playoffs all the way up. A person is strictly a hero worshiper if he doesn't give positive returns for achievement of individuals. That supports a team and showing respect.

Football is a team sport, but a responsible fan acknowledges support of all parts of his chosen team.

If not, one is little more than a hero worshiper. Only giving acknowledgement of positive achievement not for a goal, but to defend insulting another fan. That's not how being a fan works. A positive knows the mechanics that lead to success. If a fan from the beginning...very well.

No, this season is not Don Meredith's closing song, 'Turn out the lights, the party's over...all good things must come to an end.' To hell with that...GO COWBOYS!

All you negative imitations, be damned! Now all of you'all raise your pinkies and in unison state, 'I'm so sophisticated.' :muttley: :flagwave::popcorn:

CCBoy

Reaction score
as much as I can get on board and agree with most of that,

the thing you're missing here is how bad those defenses were, we just went through a stretch it's going to be easiest all year,

so we should have seen improvement but what are they going to do next week against the Eagles let alone this week coming with Seattle when the fronts start getting tougher??

how are we going to play? I mean especially in the playoffs that's what I'm worried about, we actually have had some very good production from our run game our line most seasons, until the playoffs and then when we play the 49ers or a front seven, or last year they had a problem with Washington before they got rid of two of their good players... I mean they traded off people, let's be real here so we won't see a real test until these next two weeks and then probably the playoffs before we meet another front that can handle us as i described 4–5-man fronts take away our run and give us under 2 secs to throw while playing max coverages, tough to win and still jury's out on that.

So is it our offensive line coming together with our running backs or is it just an illusion because the teams we just played and bragging about four yards a carry for a guy like Pollard is not very good I realize he's been better the last two games but again it's the competition so we will see...
First, don't put me accountable for what you prefer to highlight as what I said. You don't have a clue there. If one had more longevity in evaluations he wouldn't take away from any achievements in the NFL on the levels they are occuring now. That is naive from the start. Averaging around 40 points at home goes to any team, no matter what schedule ranking used. This is the professional levels. I don't hold credability on the level strictly of have you beaten San Francisco or Philadelphia this season. That is not a standard for starters or a seasonal reality as well. It misses the competitive element complete. If one wishes to hero worship just take a snapshot of final standings and check to see if a Super Bowl party is going on, buddy.

We already have two consecutive years to start from as to records at the playoffs. Beating any two teams up to this point doesn't yet prove anything as to playoffs this season. Zit, nada, nothing. Team playoff is viewed by the level of their play. Who any where has Dallas rated lower than top 5 in the NFC? No one.

Don't then insult my intelligence and tell me you have no clue of their strength as a team. It's right up there with the top three until they lose further down the road. All games in the NFL are tough. Are you telling me here and now they won't beat any team you chose, of their future opponents. I would then say that is not analytical, but a defeatest fan approach here and now.

I watched soldiers learn and have to overcome confrontation and personal growth by meeting any and all demands. I hold this team of football players with respecting that same dynamic factor and respecting their commitment to do exactly the same. This is not Jerry Jones as the lone voice crying in the wilderness.

First, the Jets have proven they possess a potent defense and beat the Eagles...how come one didn't single that out for some applied relevance. Dallas beat them, wait, you passed by and left Philadelphia as being far superior to Dallas and they won by 5 points which Dallas had three red zone opportunities the last quarter to beat them with. You saying that the Cowboys were incapable to have won that very game?

You are saying above you have no clue. Hell, I do. They are here and now on the same ground and a future winner, either team, has to be found out on the playing field. Also, Dallas gives up nothing as to deficiency.

Nothing shown about San Francisco? Hell, they have up and lost three games...that's not matchuped with future teams to prove that the Cowboys are then worse off. They just aren't.

Team core has already be evaluated as very strong and records as well as statistical comparisons validate that play. Some of that validation has proven relevant over decades of play. That suddenly disappear? Of course not. You know better than not be an informed fan or comparing all to disappointment associated with a whipping boy of Jerry Jones. The two losses to San Francisco are similar to two losses to Green Bay at small levels of failure for the losses. San Francisco beat a Barry Switzer led team that won Super Bowls overcoming the same losses around the Dallas Cowboys. That is professional football. But why there is plenty of solid ground to getting the opportunity to compete. Know who the 49'ers played to get that opportunity? Of course one doesn't unless he seeks records of the season.

Same relevance. There really isn't determination of proof beyond qualifying for opportunity.

Philadelphia is the only team with a top record. Dallas is right there with all other teams on record. But by available record, what one is going by to begin with, the Cowboys are middle of that top pack. I have no reason based upon any proof to desert them.

Enjoy the very next game played. Seattle

Enjoy, but don't talk better team stuff to this fan if the Cowboys win!

I talked direction. Dallas is rated 2 now in offense and 2 now in defense on statistical categories for performance. That includes both passing and running. Not even penalties.

CCBoy

Reaction score
First, don't put me accountable for what you prefer to highlight as what I said. You don't have a clue there. If one had more longevity in evaluations he wouldn't take away from any achievements in the NFL on the levels they are occuring now. That is naive from the start. Averaging around 40 points at home goes to any team, no matter what schedule ranking used. This is the professional levels. I don't hold credability on the level strictly of have you beaten San Francisco or Philadelphia this season. That is not a standard for starters or a seasonal reality as well. It misses the competitive element complete. If one wishes to hero worship just take a snapshot of final standings and check to see if a Super Bowl party is going on, buddy.

We already have two consecutive years to start from as to records at the playoffs. Beating any two teams up to this point doesn't yet prove anything as to playoffs this season. Zit, nada, nothing. Team playoff is viewed by the level of their play. Who any where has Dallas rated lower than top 5 in the NFC? No one.

Don't then insult my intelligence and tell me you have no clue of their strength as a team. It's right up there with the top three until they lose further down the road. All games in the NFL are tough. Are you telling me here and now they won't beat any team you chose, of their future opponents. I would then say that is not analytical, but a defeatest fan approach here and now.

I watched soldiers learn and have to overcome confrontation and personal growth by meeting any and all demands. I hold this team of football players with respecting that same dynamic factor and respecting their commitment to do exactly the same. This is not Jerry Jones as the lone voice crying in the wilderness.

First, the Jets have proven they possess a potent defense and beat the Eagles...how come one didn't single that out for some applied relevance. Dallas beat them, wait, you passed by and left Philadelphia as being far superior to Dallas and they won by 5 points which Dallas had three red zone opportunities the last quarter to beat them with. You saying that the Cowboys were incapable to have won that very game?

You are saying above you have no clue. Hell, I do. They are here and now on the same ground and a future winner, either team, has to be found out on the playing field. Also, Dallas gives up nothing as to deficiency.

Nothing shown about San Francisco? Hell, they have up and lost three games...that's not matchuped with future teams to prove that the Cowboys are then worse off. They just aren't.

Team core has already be evaluated as very strong and records as well as statistical comparisons validate that play. Some of that validation has proven relevant over decades of play. That suddenly disappear? Of course not. You know better than not be an informed fan or comparing all to disappointment associated with a whipping boy of Jerry Jones. The two losses to San Francisco are similar to two losses to Green Bay at small levels of failure for the losses. San Francisco beat a Barry Switzer led team that won Super Bowls overcoming the same losses around the Dallas Cowboys. That is professional football. But why there is plenty of solid ground to getting the opportunity to compete. Know who the 49'ers played to get that opportunity? Of course one doesn't unless he seeks records of the season.

Same relevance. There really isn't determination of proof beyond qualifying for opportunity.

Philadelphia is the only team with a top record. Dallas is right there with all other teams on record. But by available record, what one is going by to begin with, the Cowboys are middle of that top pack. I have no reason based upon any proof to desert them.

Enjoy the very next game played. Seattle

Enjoy, but don't talk better team stuff to this fan if the Cowboys win!

I talked direction. Dallas is rated 2 now in offense and 2 now in defense on statistical categories for performance. That includes both passing and running. Not even penalties.
the word about either team, San Francisco or Philadelphia should read either team matched up with

75boyz

Reaction score
..how about respect when not making playoffs? We're lucky we have contending team with MM. That will be 3 yrs in row
. I understand we have to get over the hump, but you got to reach the tournaments first.
My Cowboy success standards are higher.
I'm not a "just make the playoffs" and see what happens guy.

I assumed the FO hired this HC to get us over THAT hump.

So now it's time for him to show what game day advantage he brings to the table come playoff time.
So far, I'm unimpressed with his postseason performances.

Fan opinions on success vary.
There's one Sylvester Stallone guy here who I think is an actual Jones family member.
Anyway, he's like the lead cheerleader for regular season success.
It's almost like a reverse psychology troll schtick.
Sad, really.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
First season was a wash with all the injuries. Made the playoffs the last 2 seasons granted the schedules weren't bad and making the playoffs again this season. With a pretty tough schedule. Like him so far.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The success of McCarthy‘s coaching tenure with the Cowboys will be based on the teams playoff success. So far he’s 1-2 in the playoffs. Putting together successful regular seasons isn’t going to go very far with the fans if it doesn’t lead to deep playoff runs and a championship.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for Mike. He's done an excellent job here the last three years.

Of course, the next time we lose, everyone will want him fired. Oh well.

75boyz

Reaction score
The success of McCarthy‘s coaching tenure with the Cowboys will be based on the teams playoff success. So far he’s 1-2 in the playoffs. Putting together successful regular seasons isn’t going to go very far with the fans if it doesn’t lead to deep playoff runs and a championship.
Well said.
Exactly how I feel.
I posted it to another guy.
Just making the playoffs ain't enough because I assumed this Front Office hired this guy for the primary reason to WIN playoff games. Games. Plural.

Not make them and disappear like the previous red headed step child coach did as well.

You could fast forward through the regular season for all I care, lol.

Opinions vary I guess.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I never understood the hate for Mike. He's done an excellent job here the last three years.

Of course, the next time we lose, everyone will want him fired. Oh well.
There’s been hate for every head coach the Cowboys have had that succeeded Jimmy. None of them have led the Cowboys deep into the playoffs. It’s been pretty much the same thing with every head coach. We’ve had some good regular seasons that have led to some division titles but we haven’t been able to get past the divisional round of the playoffs. The fans aren’t going to be happy with any coach unless they at least lead the team deep into the playoffs. It’s probably going to take a championship for most fans to give McCarthy some credit.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
I think I started to warm up to him when he smashed a watermelon in front of the team, and when that kicker did the onside watermelon kick that the Cowboys recovered against Atlanta.

The sloppy penalties are because of stupid players and cross eyed refs that are not disciplined.

But who he brought in as coaches (i mean jerry did), they are the ones that make Big Mike's job a lot easier. I can totally see a deferent culture as far as teammates go. I like them playing loose and fast, win or lose.

I always clap...clap...clap...clap...clap. Thanks for reminding us!

eromeopolk

Reaction score

The Big Blue M&M is still going to be replaced by Boy Genius Kellen Moore. Your GM is Jerry Dumbo GM Jones that fired a back to back Super Bowl Hall of fame Coach, A legend Hall of Fame Coach, and ran off another Hall of Fame Head Coach. No hope for the Big Blue M&M.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You mean the guy that handed MM the Keys to one of the top offenses in the league and one of the best offensive lines which is now a shadow of its former self? These first few years sure had a nice jumping off point. Thank god we tripped over DQ and put him to work because the offense is backsliding.
I would like to see the run game pick up a bit, but the offense is 5th in the NFL in yards per game, and first in points per game, and that's even with going conservative on offense after games turned into a blowout earlier in the year, so is the offense really backsliding, or just changing?.

Admittedly, scoring has been partially aided by the defense, but the passing game is as good or better than it has ever been, and they clearly have been moving the ball.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, I didn't miss that, they all lost those SBs. My post was that no coach had won with different teams.

And there are also many other coaches that won a SB and didn't even make it to another one with a different team, let alone win it.

Just showing that since in 55 years it's never happened that it's unlikely. 55 years is a long time....
Then that's an invalid point.