CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If the Cowboys should win the Super Bowl then McCarthy will be the first Head Coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with two different teams.

That, in itself, will be enough to put him in the Hall of Fame.
I’ll be pleased if he just becomes another HC to take a second team to a SB.

McCarthy was hired to take us further than we’ve been this era . Most believed our coaching was holding us back from more success.

I’ve always believed our lack of talent in key areas and more talented and better teams in front of us was a greater cause or at least major contributing factor along with or more than coaching . And it still could be .

Great coaching can only take you so far. There’s a reason no other HC has repeated . It’s because they didn’t have the same level of talent or the opposing team had more talent.

While coaching has been a concern for Cowboys this era along with the dysfunctional ownership too many Cowboy fans aren’t willing to accept we possibly haven’t had the right or enough talent especially in key areas.

Not many teams are winning Super Bowls this era without an Elite QB and or Elite Defense.

I think one of our better members who I align with often on this site provided a great stat that 4/5 or 80% of Super Bowl winners had an Elite QB. That’s a tremendous advantage .

Most of the rest had arguably Elite Defenses with rare exception. I’m not sure we could argue we have had either this era. But yet we have expected more? And why until further evidence I’d argue our team is over hyped.

catiii

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
:clap:

SlammedZero

Reaction score
It's been a breath of fresh air after the Wade Phillips/Jason Garrett period.

In fact, they were just talking on The Break yesterday about how nice it is to see a coaching staff that actually adjusts against opponent's weaknesses. They'll scheme players open. Before, with Garrett, the team had that unwillingness to game plan and went with the "we'll just line up and beat you our way" mentality.

With all that said, and something that has been said multiple times in this thread already.......let's see some playoff success.

kskboys

Reaction score

McCarthy was hired to take us further than we’ve been this era . Most believed our coaching was holding us back from more success.

I’ve always believed our lack of talent in key areas and more talented and better teams in front of us was a greater cause or at least major contributing factor along with or more than coaching . And it still could be .

Great coaching can only take you so far. There’s a reason no other HC has repeated . It’s because they didn’t have the same level of talent or the opposing team had more talent.

While coaching has been a concern for Cowboys this era along with the dysfunctional ownership too many Cowboy fans aren’t willing to accept we possibly haven’t had the right or enough talent especially in key areas.

Not many teams are winning Super Bowls this era without an Elite QB and or Elite Defense.

I think one of our better members who I align with often on this site provided a great stat that 4/5 or 80% of Super Bowl winners had an Elite QB. That’s a tremendous advantage .

Most of the rest had arguably Elite Defenses with rare exception. I’m not sure we could argue we have had either this era. But yet we have expected more? And why until further evidence I’d argue our team is over hyped.
Moreso than that, in the super bowl you are generally playing an equal team(I know, not always), so the game comes down to bounces or TO's or the refs or some such. Which means it wasn't the coaching that did/didn't do it.

75boyz

Reaction score

The Patriot team talent level in their losing Super Bowls was greater than the Giants on both occasions and against Philly as well.
BUT on THAT particular SuperBowl Sunday Belicheck was outcoached by Coughlin twice and Pederson once.
It wasn't because of talent.

In Dallas...
The team talent level is as close as its gonna get to the other true contenders this year.

The only strong doubts I have in Dallas talent matchups this year is with SF.

So what I'm truly looking for is for this QB and HC combo to truly prove me wrong. I need for them to go on an improbable 4 game post season run against playoff competition in which they raise their level of performance (as a HC & QB) to levels they have not proven they can achieve yet.

And I need it to happen 4 times.
In the playoffs.
Mostly on the road.
Against equally talented or superior talented rosters and coaching staffs.

You ain't gotta have the best team, you gotta have the better team on THAT particular day.

I have my doubts but would love to eat some medium well served crow.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This team had a leading offense before MM and it had a pretty good running game along with a top O-line as well, their problem was a sucky defense. Passing offense hasn't been an issue around here for over a decade, at least when playing mid to lower tier teams, the issue has been Dak getting overwhelmed in the big games after the opposition stops the run game dead in its tracks. This season we were expecting a return to the "power run game" and a quick passing game which would relieve some of that stress off of Dak. So far this OL has looked worse than last year, the offense leans on Dak to "create" even more than before and while he's escaping a collapsing pocket! Definitely backsliding on the OL and Dak is making up the difference. I will credit MM for helping Dak improve though it could also just be time and experience making Dak better.

I'm still hopeful MM's new schemes will pan out, it's still early to be expecting a finished product, I just take exception to the lauding of MM and gratuitous bashing of the former coach when truth is MM was handed the keys to a pretty good offense and we had a crap defense until DQ showed up.
None of this suggest the offense is backsliding, just that it isn't as run focused as it used to be.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The Patriot team talent level in their losing Super Bowls was greater than the Giants on both occasions and against Philly as well.
BUT on THAT particular SuperBowl Sunday Belicheck was outcoached by Coughlin twice and Pederson once.
It wasn't because of talent.

In Dallas...
The team talent level is as close as its gonna get to the other true contenders this year.

The only strong doubts I have in Dallas talent matchups this year is with SF.

So what I'm truly looking for is for this QB and HC combo to truly prove me wrong. I need for them to go on an improbable 4 game post season run against playoff competition in which they raise their level of performance (as a HC & QB) to levels they have not proven they can achieve yet.

And I need it to happen 4 times.
In the playoffs.
Mostly on the road.
Against equally talented or superior talented rosters and coaching staffs.

You ain't gotta have the best team, you gotta have the better team on THAT particular day.

I have my doubts but would love to eat some medium well served crow.
Yea,those Giants teams are probably the only exception to the rule this era. Not something you can plan on. Upsets can happen.

Reaction score
None of this suggest the offense is backsliding, just that it isn't as run focused as it used to be.
Ha! Well I can't make you see what you don't want to see... someone else watching the Cowboys failed attempts to run the football successfully might consider it to be the reason for their redirected "focus".

TexasHillbilly

Reaction score
the best thing ive seen is his adjustment in game-season.
Only time ive seen that not happen was the eagles game, but thats only one i can think of.
Penalties honestly i dont know who to blame, seems like we get the short end on some high penalty games, and some just seem like the player should know better, at this level they should anyway.
I think we only had one last game but the neutral zone infraction just kills me. One is one too many.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Ha! That statement would be more appropriately directed at MM and the draft room,,,

This team had a leading offense before MM and it had a pretty good running game along with a top O-line as well, their problem was a sucky defense. Passing offense hasn't been an issue around here for over a decade, at least when playing mid to lower tier teams, the issue has been Dak getting overwhelmed in the big games after the opposition stops the run game dead in its tracks. This season we were expecting a return to the "power run game" and a quick passing game which would relieve some of that stress off of Dak. So far this OL has looked worse than last year, the offense leans on Dak to "create" even more than before and while he's escaping a collapsing pocket! Definitely backsliding on the OL and Dak is making up the difference. I will credit MM for helping Dak improve though it could also just be time and experience making Dak better.

I'm still hopeful MM's new schemes will pan out, it's still early to be expecting a finished product, I just take exception to the lauding of MM and gratuitous bashing of the former coach when truth is MM was handed the keys to a pretty good offense and we had a crap defense until DQ showed up.
See the big gap you purposely missed when you were laying out the problems with the passing game was the fact that when they can stop our run game dead in its tracks you want Prescott to create but they're stopping us with a four and five man line Max it's the offensive line being stopped therefore they can't run block or pass block you're asking him to create with less than 2.5 seconds to pass the football oh wait the logic of football fan would also know that you can't even sit back there to throw but they're playing Max coverage on the back end because they do not need many guys up front to get to our quarterback or to stop the run....

In short when they can stop the run they're also stopping the pass it's hard to throw the football and create when there's no time to throw either it's been the offensive line against the best front sevens that would be the 49ers occasionally Washington occasionally the 2018 Rams in the playoffs you cannot play offense and create when there's no time to do so back to the trenches it is the trenches fault not Prescott's fault..

So yes Prescott can throw Prescott can be creative against the less aggressive and really good defensive lines they need more people to get to our run game and to get to our pass game therefore there's open running lanes and passing lanes for the quarterback but when we get up against the best teams it starts up front it is the offensive line that's been the issue the entire time 2018 2021-2022 all those playoff games and now you add in the 49ers regular season game and we didn't even have a defense step up... That is the major and one thing that's a common denominator in every one of those games is our offensive line has gotten out physical they're getting beat up and they don't even have to do it with more than a four man line most of the time

heck I've seen him get to Prescott or stop the run with a three man line that's how bad our offensive line has been at times where we're not passing off and switching correctly and it turns out we get three guys on one and all of a sudden out of a three man rush some dudes wide open headed towards the quarterback...

So you really can't blame McCarthy or Prescott the problem here is more the offensive line and I'm wondering now are we getting that fixed but when you say something ridiculous like when they stop our run game dead in its tracks make US1 dimensional you are supposed to think that Prescott can make up that difference by himself so no run game offensive line not blocking long enough and then playing Max coverage on the back end with very little guys needed to rush the passer?? That's our biggest problem period end of story it's been like that for a while we need to resolve or solve that issue on the long the offensive line..

That's the thing you're missing here they're not selling out to stop the run they're stopping their run with a four man line maybe add a fifth guy in they're also getting to the quarterback with a four man line that means there's not gonna be many people open especially with the horrible separation rate the last two years for most of our receivers outside of CD Lam

in fact Prescott one of the only top quarterbacks in the league that's had to play with a mess at wide receiver separation rates he's sowing into the most tight windows of any quarterback... So maybe we ought to find a run game and a better offensive line and then we can talk about the offense backsliding they're not backsliding at all it's just a matter of situational football and with the offensive line is getting beat and they need to figure out a way to counteract that or nothing's gonna work against the 49ers or even say the Eagles in the playoff game..

75boyz

Reaction score
Yea,those Giants teams are probably the only exception to the rule this era. Not something you can plan on. Upsets can happen.
Yeah,
The Nick Foles led Eagle squad might be deemed a little inferior to that Belicheck's group as well imo.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yeah,
The Nick Foles led Eagle squad might be deemed a little inferior to that Belicheck's group as well imo.
Yea but at least Egirls had an Elite or top 5 caliber defense that year. And Foles played at a MVP level on the biggest stage . Like Eli did.

That might be what we’ll need our QB to do.

Last edited:

75boyz

Reaction score
Yea but at least Egirls had an Elite or top 5 caliber defense that year. And Foles played at a MVP level on the biggest stage . Like Eli did.

That might be what we’ll need our QB to do.
Exactly.
4 times in a row.
Against playoff teams.
That's what I'm saying.

Plus the HC/playcaller has to perform on that level as well.

No big deal.
LOL

LovinItAll

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
And unless we totally collapse, it’ll be the first time since the 90’s we’ve made the playoffs in three straight years. Of COURSE the Phillies are 99-1 right now. Just a bad time to have that team in our division, but we’ve still got a puncher’s chance, so no complaints.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
#1 ppg in the league .. more than Miami
Until you subtract the incredible 51 points the defense added, then you drop to around 6th. Last year we finished 3rd with a #2 QB and 1 liget receiver. We have a difficult schedule upcoming will we remain #1?
If I was a betting man......

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ha! Well I can't make you see what you don't want to see... someone else watching the Cowboys failed attempts to run the football successfully might consider it to be the reason for their redirected "focus".
You can't make me see what you haven't proven. The fact the run game isn't as strong doesn't change the fact team is scoring and moving the ball as well as it ever has.