CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

Plankton

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
jason-garrett-smile.gif

75boyz

Reaction score
Is that all that matters to you? Just curious
Winning post season games and/or championships, yes.

I'm not as patient as those whose standards are to make the playoffs and see what happens. Those don't match my personal Cowboy success standards.

I thought this HC was hired to win playoff game(s).
I mean the last guy got us to the playoffs.

How about a few, as in more than one, playoff wins in the post season for the first time in nearly 3 decades?

I don't think that's too much to ask.

jmo

starfan1

Reaction score

I'm not as patient as those whose standards are to make the playoffs and see what happens. Those don't match my personal Cowboy success standards.

How about a few, as in more than one, playoff wins in the post season for the first time in nearly 3 decades?

jmo
To each their own . I enjoy the entirety of the journey

If it ends up in a SB that’s awesome and what I hope for

If it doesn’t so be it. You are no less or no more of a fan than me in my humble opinion

We all embraced the star at some point in our lives

I’m sure there’s a 12 step program out there for us

75boyz

Reaction score
To each their own . I enjoy the entirety of the journey

If it ends up in a SB that’s awesome and what I hope for

If it doesn’t so be it. You are no less or no more of a fan than me in my humble opinion

We all embraced the star at some point in our lives

I’m sure there’s a 12 step program out there for us
Fair enough, I appreciate it. I can respect your opinion as well.

Cowboys!

Flamma

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
I very rarely criticize BigMac. In fact, I point out when I am impressed with him. I like him as a coach. But when I think about the accomplishments you've pointed out, I have to ask myself something. How many of the previous coaches had the talent both on D and O that we have right now?

I think Parcells built the best team post 90s. He retired a year before they peaked, then without him it all came crashing down. It would have been nice to see what he could have done had he stayed. I doubt Dallas goes 9-7 in 2008.

I'm not trying to throw a wet blanket over our coaches' accomplishments. I'm just offering a little perspective.

kuyyo_morro

Reaction score
That's only a record because good coaches in the past stayed w/ the same team, often for their career.

And here's what you missed: 4 HC's have taken two different teams to the super bowl: Parcells, Shula, Dan Reeves, and Dick Vermeil.
John Fox also.

75boyz

Reaction score
Regular season accomplishments with one of the more stacked teams talent wise in football means nothing to anyone besides stat chasers.

Still have issues beating winning teams, to many penalties, undisciplined, and come out flat for playoff games

But yes miles above the JG era.
Nice post.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
It's insane to me that people think he's on the hot seat for any reason... Other than they want Dan Quinn which is shocking too because Dan Quinn's defense has been a shaky if not the shakiest part of our season so far as far as expectations versus results they have been in my opinion the largest contributor to the three losses that we've had so far and it's in the biggest games where they're not the championship defense that shut down defense that Mike McCarthy went into the season designing A conservative offense in order to help the defense...

Everyone around here is in a hurry to get rid of McCarthy for Quinn there's no way I'm doing that if I'm a GM if you decide to make a change a head coach you need to get rid of the whole entire coaching staff that is just the way it should be no keeping crumbs and parts around from the old staff in my opinion is not going to help because Dan Quinn's defense has not been any better than Mike McCarthy 's coaching the offense and the rest of the team...

Besides resume to resume Mike McCarthy is a much better head coach the Dan Quinn has ever been in his one failed attempt I'm not handing him the keys to my castle after seeing the last couple years his defenses are doing the same thing that they did in Atlanta when he was the head coach they're giving up big leads they're giving up time consuming boom or bust type drives...

So yes I agree the Mike McCarthy criticism is insane I'm in a hurry to get rid of the guy is just utterly ridiculous.... And you also didn't factor in maybe you missed the bullet point but he's also been the best coach managing missing key players I mean so far I don't do any research like you he's probably the best coach we've had at managing losses to our key players and still keep winning...

I guess the best example is didn't he go three wins one loss down the stretch in 2020 that's not bad given what he had to work with and ever since the rest of your bullet points are all the proof we need of how many games he's won since those last four games of 2020 up until now and all the adversity that he's gotten us past and yes there's still one more hurdle is getting to an NFC championship game but I don't think his coaching is the reason we're not going to get there...

Is he perfect, NO.. But not many coaches are everyone's going to make decisions in a game under fire you only have a split second to make it, and in hindsight being called wrong.
defense 3rd in the NFL is both yards and points

Motorola

Reaction score
That's only a record because good coaches in the past stayed w/ the same team, often for their career.

And here's what you missed: 4 HC's have taken two different teams to the super bowl: Parcells, Shula, Dan Reeves, and Dick Vermeil.
You missed one....Andy Reid.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

jmo
Breath deeply.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It should be noted that the Cowboys had a higher win percentage with backup QBs in 2020 than with Prescott.

People love to blame that season on losing the starting QB. Those people are wrong.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
MM is a real football coach and it’s something we’ve sorely missed here since BP. He doesn’t care about the spotlight he just coaches. After a rough start offensively to the season he’s really made some adjustments and they’ve been humming. So glad to be done with KM and JG.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Also there isn’t a current coach that is available or that might be available that I’d choose over MM. I don’t think there are any that can bring the resume that he has.

Reaction score
How much did you have to drink/smoke to not consider age and injuries? I mean, that's just pure blindness!!!!!!!!
Ha! That statement would be more appropriately directed at MM and the draft room,,,
I would like to see the run game pick up a bit, but the offense is 5th in the NFL in yards per game, and first in points per game, and that's even with going conservative on offense after games turned into a blowout earlier in the year, so is the offense really backsliding, or just changing?.

Admittedly, scoring has been partially aided by the defense, but the passing game is as good or better than it has ever been, and they clearly have been moving the ball.
This team had a leading offense before MM and it had a pretty good running game along with a top O-line as well, their problem was a sucky defense. Passing offense hasn't been an issue around here for over a decade, at least when playing mid to lower tier teams, the issue has been Dak getting overwhelmed in the big games after the opposition stops the run game dead in its tracks. This season we were expecting a return to the "power run game" and a quick passing game which would relieve some of that stress off of Dak. So far this OL has looked worse than last year, the offense leans on Dak to "create" even more than before and while he's escaping a collapsing pocket! Definitely backsliding on the OL and Dak is making up the difference. I will credit MM for helping Dak improve though it could also just be time and experience making Dak better.

I'm still hopeful MM's new schemes will pan out, it's still early to be expecting a finished product, I just take exception to the lauding of MM and gratuitous bashing of the former coach when truth is MM was handed the keys to a pretty good offense and we had a crap defense until DQ showed up.

Last edited:

rambo2

Reaction score
Regular season accomplishments with one of the more stacked teams talent wise in football means nothing to anyone besides stat chasers.

Still have issues beating winning teams, to many penalties, undisciplined, and come out flat for playoff games

But yes miles above the JG era.
They beat a lot winning teams last year.