CFZ Big Mac’s accomplishments in 3.5 seasons

75boyz

Reaction score
Ha! That statement would be more appropriately directed at MM and the draft room,,,

This team had a leading offense before MM and it had a pretty good running game along with a top O-line as well, their problem was a sucky defense. Passing offense hasn't been an issue around here for over a decade, at least when playing mid to lower tier teams, the issue has been Dak getting overwhelmed in the big games after the opposition stops the run game dead in its tracks. This season we were expecting a return to the "power run game" and a quick passing game which would relieve some of that stress off of Dak. So far this OL has looked worse than last year, the offense leans on Dak to "create" even more than before and while he's escaping a collapsing pocket! Definitely backsliding on the OL and Dak is making up the difference. I will credit MM for helping Dak improve though it could also just be time and experience making Dak better.

I'm still hopeful MM's new schemes will pan out, it's still early to be expecting a finished product, I just take exception to the lauding of MM and gratuitous bashing of the former coach when truth is MM was handed the keys to a pretty good offense and we had a crap defense until DQ showed up.
Wow,
Some actual truth still exists around here.
Bravo to you sir.
And I totally agree.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Ha! That statement would be more appropriately directed at MM and the draft room,,,

This team had a leading offense before MM and it had a pretty good running game along with a top O-line as well, their problem was a sucky defense. Passing offense hasn't been an issue around here for over a decade, at least when playing mid to lower tier teams, the issue has been Dak getting overwhelmed in the big games after the opposition stops the run game dead in its tracks. This season we were expecting a return to the "power run game" and a quick passing game which would relieve some of that stress off of Dak. So far this OL has looked worse than last year, the offense leans on Dak to "create" even more than before and while he's escaping a collapsing pocket! Definitely backsliding on the OL and Dak is making up the difference. I will credit MM for helping Dak improve though it could also just be time and experience making Dak better.

I'm still hopeful MM's new schemes will pan out, it's still early to be expecting a finished product, I just take exception to the lauding of MM and gratuitous bashing of the former coach when truth is MM was handed the keys to a pretty good offense and we had a crap defense until DQ showed up.
Forget the running the game it's always going to be the Cowboys go as far as Dak takes them. Defenses can take away the running game but they can't take away when Dak runs or throws it on the run.

Dak is the difference and I think his experience is making him better overall....finally.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It should be noted that the Cowboys had a higher win percentage with backup QBs in 2020 than with Prescott.

People love to blame that season on losing the starting QB. Those people are wrong.
Bet, now prove it outside of speculation...career or recently either way.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Doesn't realize why in discussion a posted outside source, not another fan's agreeing on 'observation.' is required for verificztion. No matter how many hey you's join in the chorus.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Whatever any Cowboys fan thinks of Mike McCarthy as a head coach, in 3.5 seasons he has accomplished a lot more than what 4 previous Cowboys head coaches did:
  • Make the playoffs in back to back seasons for the first time in 15 years.
  • Back to back 12 win seasons for the first time since 94-95. (Could be 3 years in a row if the Cowboys win 4 of last 6 games)
  • Current 13 game home winning streak is the best in 4 decades (18 straight is the Cowboys record going back to 1979-81 under Landry)
  • The Cowboys are 9-1 in games after a loss under McCarthy since 2020 and only have back to back losses once since 2021.
  • Currently has a 38-23 record as Cowboys HC, including 32-13 since his first season in 2020 when Dak was lost for the season in game 5.
McCarthy certainly has some issues. The Cowboys have been sloppy with penalties, in-game management has been questionable at times and his offense was slow out of the gate this year. He has some issues for sure but he’s better than what we’ve had for decades. Hopefully McCarthy can take this year’s team to at least an NFC championship game this year. Or better.

But if you aren’t sure Big Mac is an upgrade, just close your eyes and remember the red-haired guy who preceded him who in a decade only made the playoffs 3 times. It could be a lot worse.
Yeah but the narcissist Aaron Rodgers criticized him. So he sucks.

HungryLion

Reaction score
That's only a record because good coaches in the past stayed w/ the same team, often for their career.

And here's what you missed: 4 HC's have taken two different teams to the super bowl: Parcells, Shula, Dan Reeves, and Dick Vermeil.
You missed Andy Reid

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Mike has sort of won me over. His offense is much smarter than Moore and the Clapper. His protection packages are much more sophisticated than the latter. When he uses the TE, he pushes them down the field and forces your LB/S to cover deep. He has Dak playing EXTREMELY aggressive. In past regimes, on 3rd and long, we would almost always do a dump off, a hand off etc. But now under McCarthy, Dak is firing downfield and getting the 1st down.

I personally think it's his experience. The guy's been an offensive coordinator for years. He's coached Favre and Rodgers. For goodness sake, the guy knows what he's doing. The clapper was handed the offensive coordinator job and given the head coaching job with VERY little experience, and Moore, please.

CCBoy

Reaction score

Who will make All Pro this very season for strong and positional stats:

Tyler Smith
Tyron Smith
Zack Martin

Oh yea, no sacks given up in the past 3 games...also.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Amazing how we are always so ready to hype our team or hand out accolades before the goals are met .

In the end if we can’t kick down the championship game door it becomes more of the same . Maybe worse if we believe we’ve assembled the most talent or best team we’ve had this era.

It appears we’ve probably hired the best HC we could hope for under Jethro since Parcells but again he must finish the job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Amazing how we are always so ready to hype our team or hand out accolades before the goals are met .

In the end if we can’t kick down the championship game door it becomes more of the same . Maybe worse if we believe we’ve assembled the most talent or best team we’ve had this era.

It appears we’ve probably hired the best HC we could hope for under Jethro since Parcells but again he must finish the job.
Greg, I agree that everything hinges on how Mac and the Cowboys do in the postseason. But I was merely pointing out some interesting facts that show McCarthy has been more successful than any coach since Switzer.

IMO “hype” is talking about what your team is “going to do”. We will see what the Cowboys do in Dec and Jan to declare this year “hype-worthy”.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And for the record this era or drought McCarthy has only taken the Cowboys to the brink of a Championship game once( 2022) so far, Wade did twice ( 2007,2009) and Garrett did 3 times( 2014,2016, 2018).

And it looks like we will probably be Wild Card again this year which means we’ll have to do it all on the road again. Winning 2 games in playoffs on the road just to reach Champ game is long odds.

But I guess if the drought continues we’ll be in a better place going to playoffs 3 consecutive seasons? Can’t break thru if you don’t get there. Problem is we might not have a good enough team for more success with better teams in front of us.

With our ownership I’m just amazed we can field a competitive playoff team. In the end I’m not sure any HC we’d be willing to hire will be enough to overcome the disadvantages we present. But we can always retain some hope.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Greg, I agree that everything hinges on how Mac and the Cowboys do in the postseason. But I was merely pointing out some interesting facts that show McCarthy has been more successful than any coach since Switzer.

IMO “hype” is talking about what your team is “going to do”. We will see what the Cowboys do in Dec and Jan to declare this year “hype-worthy”.
Hype is also about promoting your team or label which our ownership and media often does which I’m often referring.

It doesn’t have to be talk about what your team is going to do which is more common for fans .

Hype can be what you think it’s capable of doing even without proven track record of such success to support.

This team is now being hyped for beating up on poor teams . Some of us like in previous seasons have warned to pump the brakes . But they never listen . I’m not sure why it’s so important for fans to boast before proving themselves on the bigger stages.

Like it makes them smarter fans because they believed more in them. I see they have the potential . But I also see they may not have enough. The SF game should be enough of a red flag for everyone.

Let’s wait and see before we anoint them . Like at least beat Egirls and a few of these division leaders on our schedule. Good grief Cowboy fans. You’d think they’d of learned by now.

rambo2

Reaction score
Hype is also about promoting your team or label which our ownership and media often does which I’m often referring.

It doesn’t have to be talk about what your team is going to do which is more common for fans .

Hype can be what you think it’s capable of doing even without proven track record of such success to support.

This team is now being hyped for beating up on poor teams . Some of us like in previous seasons have warned to pump the brakes . But they never listen . I’m not sure why it’s so important for fans to boast before proving themselves on the bigger stages.

Like it makes them smarter fans because they believed more in them. I see they have the potential . But I also see they may not have enough. The SF game should be enough of a red flag for everyone.

Let’s wait and see before we anoint them . Like at least beat Egirls and a few of these division leaders on our schedule. Good grief Cowboy fans. You’d think they’d of learned by now.
Winning 5 in a row at home by 20 or more points isn't hype. It's impressive. So is winning 12 games for 3 years in a row.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Winning 5 in a row at home by 20 or more points isn't hype. It's impressive. So is winning 12 games for 3 years in a row.
It’s impressive . But not enough to over hype a team who hasn’t beat a playoff caliber team.

And we haven’t won 12 games three years in a row yet. Going to be tough with our remaining schedule. Even if we do we’ll still be on the road in playoffs again and if we come up short it’s not going to feel any better.

Why must we hype the team before reaching our goals. What purpose does it serve. Are fans that desperate to shoot their wad before we reach home plate.

It would be different if we’d been there before this era. But we haven’t. If anything we should all be pumping the brakes with big red flags waving .

rambo2

Reaction score
It’s impressive . But not enough to over hype a team who hasn’t beat a playoff caliber team.

And we haven’t won 12 games three years in a row yet. Going to be tough with our remaining schedule. Even if we do we’ll still be on the road in playoffs again and if we come up short it’s not going to feel any better.

Why must we hype the team before reaching our goals. What purpose does it serve. Are fans that desperate to shoot their wad before we reach home plate.

It would be different if we’d been there before this era. But we haven’t. If anything we should all be pumping the brakes with big red flags waving .
The Cowboys can certainly beat playoff teams. Just like they did last year.

plasticman

Reaction score
If the Cowboys should win the Super Bowl then McCarthy will be the first Head Coach in NFL history to win a Super Bowl with two different teams.

That, in itself, will be enough to put him in the Hall of Fame.