1. I am excited to announce the launch of ...
    NEWS and RUMORS is a powerful and versatile news and content search engine and reader that provides access to content from a large variety of sites.

NEWS and RUMORS does not track individual users and uses a password-less login system so only an email address is required to login.

Once logged in, you can add your favorite content feeds and searches to your Favorites list, bookmark content you want to read later, and find a lot of global, national and local content on a variety of topics.

Dismiss Notice

Big Run Tell by Cowboys

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Jkyle, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Ken

Ken Well-Known Member

8,430 Messages
    6,771 Likes Received
    The one time i remember them passing is when Dak got killed on the play action boot...

2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

58,039 Messages
    102,038 Likes Received
    You don't notice that. Or if you do and it's true then Garrett wants you to notice that to set you and the defense up for something later.

3. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

13,129 Messages
    11,206 Likes Received
    Fair point.

But if you just wanted to check coverage, why not run a WR out wide, away from the run play? You still figure out the coverage, but you move a defender out of the box.

guag likes this.
  4. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

10,874 Messages
    5,824 Likes Received
    And that’s why we fail...:( :facepalm:

5. zerofill

zerofill Well-Known Member

2,864 Messages
    4,534 Likes Received
    I want them to take that screen on 3rd and long and shove it as well... every team seems to read that like a friggin book.

6. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

8,440 Messages
    6,683 Likes Received

And then they complain about 8-9 man stack boxes. Garrett/Linehan think they are smarter than everyone. But they fool no one. Except, of course, Jerry.

7. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

8,440 Messages
    6,683 Likes Received
    When something actually works and goes for a big game, this coaching staff never call it again. I guess is called the "process." They have to keep doing over and over until it gives a different result. I call that insanity.

Zman5 likes this.
  8. Mr_C

Mr_C Carharris2

9,703 Messages
    10,366 Likes Received
    Does he ever run an identical play and give it to Zeke? That is, carry out the fake rollout after he gives it to Zeke.

9. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

60,465 Messages
    63,400 Likes Received
    Noah Brown in the game = run

Doomsday likes this.
  10. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star Zone Supporter

17,286 Messages
    11,475 Likes Received
    Been doing it for 4 years now too. It isn't just the motion, a lot of times they put in Noah Brown etc as well.

They actually threw a pass out of it vs the Eagles last week but it was incomplete.

TexasHillbilly likes this.
  11. rnr_honeybadger

rnr_honeybadger Well-Known Member

3,875 Messages
    4,884 Likes Received
    This is essentially what people have been talking about when they say that the Cowboys are predictable. The problem is that this whole offense works if you can line your people up against the opponent and just flat out beat them by out executing them. Sure that will work some of the time but the elite teams in the league are going to shut this down without much of an issue. That is where coaching and scheming come into play and the Cowboys don't seem to do that.

12. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

1,846 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    I thought the Eagles game was a pretty good mixup of plays by the OC. So even we as spectators can tell when they will run the ball especially when the motion man stops right inside the TE. The defense still has to stop it. 150 yds plus rushing. Looks like the Eagles didn't know it was going to be a run, and if they did, they still had problems stopping it. We busted em up all night....at least in the 2nd half. If we get 150 yds running we win 90 out of 100 times. Notice I didn't say 99 out of a 100.

13. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member

6,050 Messages
    3,367 Likes Received
    I was watching in preseason and someone pointed this out that every time a new quarterback comes in the naked bootleg is called to make the quarterback feel comfortable so it may be called to start the half for the same reason.

14. charron

charron Well-Known Member

5,821 Messages
    6,138 Likes Received

They use the extra wr to block the de, or lb on the backside. Just enough to force the defender wide, giving a cutback lane if needed. This allows the RB to get to the 2nd level facing that cb who followed the wr in the box. Linehan uses this too much IMHO.

buybuydandavis likes this.
  15. buybuydandavis

buybuydandavis Well-Known Member

13,129 Messages
    11,206 Likes Received
    Thanks for the description.

I'm not convinced by the tactic, though. Sounds like you aren't either.

Seems like a block destined to fail more often than not, with the advantage to the defender who is larger and stronger than the WR, and now you've crowded the box with two more players.

They would do this with Beasley and Austin. How are they supposed to be winning against DEs and LBs?

The tactic is a bit more credible with Noah Brown. He at least has some reasonable chance to block bigger guys. But if you're the defense, wouldn't you actually match up a LB against Brown, since you're not worried about his receiving at all? Or at least a big safety? He's not running away from anyone. And now you're bringing a credible run defender into the box.

Still don't like it, but the switch off is trying to do something. I just doubt it works that well. I'll have to look for it next game.

16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

18,792 Messages
    17,719 Likes Received
    The ginger clapper has been setting up the rest of the league for 8 years. They have a completely separate playbook for when they get to the SB .....

17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

50,942 Messages
    47,259 Likes Received
    You can always point to certain games where the strategy works but with a decade of predictable football we know it doesn't bring consistent positive results or playoff wins.

Relying solely on your talent is not the way of todays NFL.

TexasHillbilly likes this.
  18. TexasHillbilly

TexasHillbilly Well-Known Member

1,846 Messages
    1,554 Likes Received
    I don't think it ever has been. Us and the eagles both had "dream teams" and neither one did well that year.

I do agree with your post. This win one lose one is driving me crazy.

CATCH17 likes this.
  19. Pokes12

Pokes12 Well-Known Member

1,082 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    Noah Brown or Olawale in the game = RUN!!! Every defense knows this.

20. charron

charron Well-Known Member

5,821 Messages
    6,138 Likes Received

The wr is just a body in the way really. Not expected to hold blocks but that would help. If they can force the DE to go a bit outside zeke has a cut back lane. Since the run is designed to go the other way if blocking is good it won't matter if the wr block helps. Not a big fan of it being used alot, but I would use it to setup a fake or screen or some kind of misdirection play.

buybuydandavis likes this.