Biggest Cowboy you whiffed on

LocimusPrime

Reaction score
Darius Jackson

After reading all the forum threads about him, I thought for sure he was gonna be a HOFer
People we talking about his explosiveness, quick step, ninja like reflexes, power, sight, elusiveness

Shoooot I got suckered

:muttley:

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
2nd rnd LB from the 80's Jessie Penn, had a great pass break-up as a rookie then nothing.

Steve Pelluer QB before Aikman, I really thought He'd be Our franchise QB, I even wanted Us to trade the 1st overall pick (Troy), I was that certain. As a further embarrassment, I was mad for Tony Mandarich that year too.

I was a Steve Beuerlein might be better than Troy guy. He had a nice career, but it wasn't close.

plasticman

Reaction score
In 1971 the Cowboys drafted the younger brother if Bubba Smith, Tody, in the first round.

Bubba Smith was the 1st overall pick in the 1967 draft, an All-Pro that helped the Colts win Super Bowl 5.

Tody did nothing for the Cowboys on the field, everything off the field. He was traded to the Oilers for what eventually became first overall pick in the 1974 draft Ed "Too Tall" Jones.

LOL, back then, even when the Cowboys lost, they won.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I whiffed on DeMarcus Ware. I wanted Shawne Merriman instead. Fortunately, the Cowboys did NOT whiff on that like I did.

That was an easy mistake to make b/c Merriman was better than Ware coming out of college. He dominated his first 3 years in the league. How was anyone to know it was all fueled by steroids?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Quincy Carter is my biggest fail. After the SF game his rookie year I was sold. It's probably why I am so skeptical about Dak with his sophomore slump.
I am proud of you to owning up to that one, Fuzzy Wuzzy. That took some serious guts.

Alexander

Reaction score
Biggest whiff that I think I made was thinking Marion Barber was anything more than a backup RB. Man that one sucked
Barber was a stud for a year or two. They just wore him out and I think he had some mental health issues, which he is still dealing with now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My biggest error was Bobby Carpenter. I loved the pick. If you looked at Parcels history drafting LBs, he never misses. The guy is a magician with LBs. So, I figured BC was going to be next in a great line of Parcels LBs. WRONG. Parcels drafts him and then ditches the team the next year. Wade Phillips comes along and tried to make him into a 3-4 ILB and BC never recovered. He had one great game in the Seattle playoff loss where Parcels played him as OLB rushing the passer.........which is basically what he did at OSU. But whatever chance he had to develop left with parcels.

Last edited:

Alexander

Reaction score
That would be Mr. Underwear thief, Joseph Randle!!
Ah, the last vestige of "anyone can run behind this line". Handing the job over to that imbecile pretty much doomed that season even before Romo got crushed again.

Alexander

Reaction score
I also missed on Marcus Spears. Once more Bill Parcells sold me, especially when he was raving about him at the Senior Bowl.

After that Ware/Spears first round, I homered out so bad it was horrible. I scared myself.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
One(s) I missed: I was convinced we got steals with the late round pick secondary teammates from University. of Cincinnati, DeAngelo Smith and Mike Mickens. I followed them leading up to the Draft and was shocked where we got both in the 5th and 7th rounds IIRC.

One I nailed: Said the trade up to get More Claiborne was a mistake. Our defense at the time wasn't the proverbial just a player away, and I argued that even if it was, Mo Claiborne was not that player. Watching him in college I knew he had ball skills but was also soft. To make matters worse in rare disclosure Jerry said in the post-draft presser that they would have taken Brockers and Bobby Wagner had we picked at our spots in Rounds 1 & 2.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
I have to say Ken Hamlin. After the 2007 season, he didn't make any plays on long passes. Sounds like another safety.