Biggest mistake by front office in last 3 seasons

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Besides keeping Garrett around?

I'd say letting Beasley walk.

The front office could have afforded him. Now there is a void to fill with Cobb leaving. Cobb was good, but did not show up when needed.

Beasley was just too reliable to be seen as expendable. Maybe he became a diva. But he certainly proved his point.

In Buffalo last season, Beasley caught 67 passes for 778 yards and 6TDs.

Well worth 7 million per year.
1. Jason Garrett as Head Coach.
2. Jerry Jones as GM.
3. Not drafting and signing impact defensive players.

Measley Beasley should not have been resigned. Cobb was an upgrade. Dwayne Harris was more of a valuable player to the Cowboys than measley Beasley.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Dez will be signed any day.

Expect it before the draft.

Then WR comes off the need list.

Then the biggest needs drop to looking for new DCC girls.

Beasley was an unhappy camper.

Dez will be such a Happy Camper he will cook your marshmallows for you by the fire.

Book it.
I like you, I really do but please stop flogging this dead horse. Dez is done and with good reason.

Swagger

Reaction score
Going with Dak over Romo biggest mistake since Jimmy.....
That's a big statement...yet wholly correct.

I watched the play off game between the Cowboys vs the Seahawks from two seasons back to refresh me memory.

I didn't see Prescott execute a difficult throw - I would expect every NFL starting QB to have made them and he under threw a pass for the interception. His most impressive play was the run on 3rd and 14. Classic Tim Tebow style - legs more useful than his arm. Whist Russell Wilson was doing all sorts with his arm and with far worse protection.

I genuinely do not understand why some people rate him so highly. If he was that good the front office would have signed him up 18 months back.

You can tell they aren't sold on him as they are having to make moves like bringing in Aldon Smith, maybe Rolando McClain and Dez Bryant to come. All guys with huge upside but risks for one reason or another.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Honestly I would put letting Beasley walk as a good decision not a mistake. Picking draft picks as mistakes is a bit unfair IMHO as it is always easy to be right 3 years later. IMHO the mistakes that continue to doom this franchise are primarily due to the unhealthy relationship between the Owner and the players. The following list is going from highest cap hits to the lowest and IMHO it is not a pretty sight.

Prescott is gonna destroy us.
Demarcus will never live up to that contract.
Zach Martin is already starting to under perform relative to his contract. Should we really be sinking that kind of cap space into guards?
Tyron is breaking down physically every year.
Amari Cooper cost us a first round pick and a mega deal all so that we could "win now".
Zeke becomes highest paid RB in football 2 years before his contract is over.
Tyrone Crawford has been overpaid for years.
Jaylon Smith easily the worst example. He has consumed a second round pick. Used roster spots when he was clearly not ready to play. Has one reasonable season and gets a massive contract before his existing one even expires. Bad bad bad business all around.
Lael Collins was given bank before we had to.

Those 9 players are taking up a huge chunk of the cap. Do you feel good about their chances of taking us all the way? I sure hope so because the roster is very watered down after that.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Lol.

People buy a Bryant jersey and think he's gonna contribute.

His skills already were in serious decline. Two years and a ruptured Achilles later and he's gonna contribute?

If they can sign an alcoholic that hasn't played a down in 4 years they can give Dez a shot.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Beasley was a poor fit for us. Just a possession WR. Too small to contribute as a blocker in the run game. Too small to play true wideout and backup the starters.

Needs to be on a team where 3 WR is the base offense, so his slot role can be near full time. That ain't us.
Dallas was primarily in 11 personnel....so 3WR is base.

I actually agree that he's not a great fit for Moore, but he's a way better player than Cobb.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
Knowing that Jerry the GM is off the table, keeping Garrett so long is BY FAR the biggest mistake made.

Reaction score

The front office could have afforded him. Now there is a void to fill with Cobb leaving. Cobb was good, but did not show up when needed.

Beasley was just too reliable to be seen as expendable. Maybe he became a diva. But he certainly proved his point.

Beasley lost faith, and he wasn't wrong,,,

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a good thing the FO has done in last 3 years- keep Will McClay. He’s not perfect but without the scouting and personnel professionalism of big Will, this franchise would be adrift, stuck with the circus antics of Jerry picking guys like Johnny Football.

Loso86

Reaction score

I'd say signing Cooper"

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here’s a good thing the FO has done in last 3 years- keep Will McClay. He’s not perfect but without the scouting and personnel professionalism of big Will, this franchise would be adrift, stuck with the circus antics of Jerry picking guys like Johnny Football.

I do like McClay overall, but he needs to stick up more for his scouts and his draft board, and to not be a 'company man' and go along to get along when coaches try to overrule his work. He did that with both the Taco Charlton and Trysten Hill moves. It was both noticeable and wrong.

Ken

Reaction score
Cobb was pretty good. I think bringing back Witten was a bigger mistake. Beas is a one trick pony.
Letting Witten dominate snaps was the big issue. Was fine with him coming back...he hampered our offense and stunted our young TE's growth.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lol absolutely not. Cobb was downright bad last year. The guy can't...catch.

That is your opinion and many disagree.
I would have been fine keeping Beasley, but Cobb was better IMO. Much more YAC is my main reason.