Biggest takeaway from yesterday's loss

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Biggest takeaway from yesterday's loss, wasn't Dak being totally off after missing a few weeks, but rather our run defense. The defense just couldn't stop the run and rarely did the Broncos be forced into obvious passing situations. Sound familiar? That was last year's defense in a put nut shell and we can no longer put all the blame on Jaylon Smith. From top to bottom, even Parsons, they all struggled in this area. Tackling was dreadful. This is the biggest issue they must fix moving forward.
People will find this amusing, but I'm interested to see Trysten Hill on the field in this scheme.

He was a bull against the run in college. Ask Tony Pollard. Memphis barely scored against UCF when Hill was on the field but scored at-will when he was not.

Marinelli and the 2nd UCF coaching staff tried to make him a 'pass rush 1st' type player but his original UCF coaching staff had engrained 'run defense 1st' into him.
- He respected the 1st UCF coaching staff and struggled to believe the other staffs that were telling him that style was wrong.

He played as a 3-4 NT with the 1st UCF staff.

The guy has top notch physical ability. His mental makeup is the only question mark.

Gallimore on the other hand, but a pass rushing type DT in college. His run defense was the question mark.

JBond

Reaction score
Biggest takeaway from yesterday's loss, wasn't Dak being totally off after missing a few weeks, but rather our run defense. The defense just couldn't stop the run and rarely did the Broncos be forced into obvious passing situations. Sound familiar? That was last year's defense in a put nut shell and we can no longer put all the blame on Jaylon Smith. From top to bottom, even Parsons, they all struggled in this area. Tackling was dreadful. This is the biggest issue they must fix moving forward.
Umm... scoring occasionally would have been nice the first 3 quarters. Our successful recipe this year is to get ahead and allow our playmakers go get the QB. Sounds simple and it is until we have a garbage day on offense. Dak was off, receivers dropped passes. Couldn't run. Odd o-line decisions. It was a mess and gives them some stuff to work on.

Getting ahead limits the ability to gut us up the middle on runs. Still a weak spot.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
That's on coaching.
They lost a lot momentum after both 4th down non-conversions. Is it me or does it seem like Pollard hits the holes quicker and is more successful in these situations? He never seems to get caught in the backfield like Zeke as of late.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Crazy thing is how bad this run defense was despite Parsons and Osa being on this roster. Parsons had himself a game yesterday, and Osa was quietly disruptive in the run game at least throughout the first half....his play may have dropped of in the 2nd IDK, I only watched so much.

I'm kind of excited to go back and rewatch the game tonight and break down the run game issues. I'm not sure if they just completely worked around Osa, or if they used his aggressiveness against him.

Aven8

Reaction score
They kept running off tackle and neutralized Greg’s and Parsons at DE. Once they got past them it was tough sledding with only LVE back there

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
To me this ain't on the defense. Yes, 30+ points never look that good, but come on, not a single point on the board after three quarters? If it was a close game, the defense might have had some momentum, but the offense let everybody down yesterday.

I'm not saying it's on Dak, but it's definitely not the defense, that had their worst day ever.

But you win as a team, and you lose as a team. Won't happen to them again this season, so I wish we wouldnt play Atlanta next week but the top 5 teams in a row.

Now we'll put that "championship face" to the test, that so many of you have supposedly seen over the last couple of weeks.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
People will find this amusing, but I'm interested to see Trysten Hill on the field in this scheme.

He was a bull against the run in college. Ask Tony Pollard. Memphis barely scored against UCF when Hill was on the field but scored at-will when he was not.

Marinelli and the 2nd UCF coaching staff tried to make him a 'pass rush 1st' type player but his original UCF coaching staff had engrained 'run defense 1st' into him.
- He respected the 1st UCF coaching staff and struggled to believe the other staffs that were telling him that style was wrong.

The guy has top notch physical ability. His mental makeup is the only question mark.

Gallimore on the other hand, but a pass rushing type DT in college. His run defense was the question mark.
Not crazy at all. He was wildly inconsistent last year, but you can see what Marinelli originally saw in the kid. Shame he got hurt as early as he did. When this unit is healthy you can leave the main pass rush duties to Osa & Gallimore, let Hill specialize on run downs. As you mentioned the mental aspect to his game seems to be the biggest issue, so why not simplify it.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
My two biggest take aways besides offenses struggles .

HC continuing risky 4th down gambles . And defense unable to create turnovers .
Agree as I think you risk 4th down later in the game depending on the situation. MM was trying to get the knockout in the 1st round and crapped the bed against a statistically strong D. On the other hand turnovers are going to come and go. If our offense develops a lead, it obviously forces the opponent to take risks and hence more turnover opportunities. After those early 4th down mishaps, we played right into their hands for a 15 round whoopen on both sides of the ball and on the sidelines.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Same. Trysten Hill looked solid last year when he wasn’t 2 gapping.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
ODiggy was a solid pick. I like him. Gallimore should help when he gets back. I have no idea where Hill is. A wasted pick. The FAs? How much did they spend on those guys? They are dumpster diving FAs. They haven’t had a professional run stopper in years and years.

I'm not saying they got all stars in free agency or even the draft but to say that they're not even trying is a stretch.

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
While the team looked flat and a bit off. Denver just took it to em.. Which, anyone who was surprised by this should not be. The kid was all happy that Denver's LT was out. Not me. Nope, another no name backup will start there and that's gonna be fine. Then they lose two more starters on the Oline. Then, Surtain out? Hahahhahaah.. Oh yeah, this game was over by half time.

Then, The moronic 4th and 2? Stupid. Especially against a team that has Dallas' number. 9-4 now against the Broncos. Any momentum that Dallas had, was gone and not to be found again after that boneheaded decision.

Dallas in the past made Trevor Siemon look like Joe Montanillo.... yet, I am supposed to be shocked? Now? Teddy is dropping dimes? Really? Hope Teddy picked up some scratchers last night. I cannot wait to see how bad the Broncos will look next week.

This team still doesn't have any killer instinct. Play down to their competition it seems.

In this case, Dallas just got their butts handed to them.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Imo, run defense is mostly about effort and the effort just wasn’t there.

The tackling was beyond bad too.
Totally agree but the offense was obviously unfocused perhaps reading their stats all week including Dak and MM. I'm hoping this was a punch in the mouth and humbling the whole team needed to get back to work. The next game will tell us a lot about this team. After TG, we'll also find out the potential of this team and if it has what it take to go deep in the playoffs.

blueblood70

Reaction score
the biggest take is fans overreacting and all back to the sky is falling attitude after one ugly loss..the emotional swing is ridiculous the sb talk to its all over loser talk around here.

Cowboys
packers
Rams
raiders
bengals
eagles

Bucs off

all lost as well.. we lost no ground really..we could have gained ground but the payoff picture is still exactly how it was going into the game..

a loss is loss..

lets let it go 24 hr rule

Creeper

Reaction score

How demoralizing is it to have the opponent in a 2nd and 17 only to have the RB gash you for 14 yards to make it 3rd and 3? The Cowboys soft pass defense almost always allows that conversion. The Cowboys had 10 TFLs yesterday. That should be enough to stop any offense. But in almost every case the Broncos were able to overcome those losses. It was an embarrassing defeat.