Biggest takeaway from yesterday's loss

Shane612

Reaction score
Imo, run defense is mostly about effort and the effort just wasn’t there.

The tackling was beyond bad too.
I think Denver just made the cows' defense play off their heels most of the game. Cows were getting the ball stuffed down their throats. Give Denver credit.
MM did say maybe he coached not to get penalized too much last week. And maybe that took some aggressiveness out of the cows' defense. But I doubt that was the issue.
Plus, Dak's accuracy issue, and dropped passes didn't help either. Must have been demoralizing to the defense.

How many times did we see Denver's running back running down the field with half our defense draped all over him?
Yup....
The effort wasn't the issue.
Either Denver found something early in the game, and kept doing it, like running between the tackles, and right down cows' throats. Or they came in all hyped up, and simply beat the cows up.
I think the offense will right itself soon enough.
However, the defense is concerning. It's just really difficult to play defense against any offense in this league. The defenses are always playing against a "stacked deck"...as the saying goes.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
I'm not saying they got all stars in free agency or even the draft but to say that they're not even trying is a stretch.

“Not trying” is a stretch. I know that. My point is that DT has not been a focus high in the draft and through FA. They have been bargain shopping. Jerry would rather spend on WR and RB. That’s why they are who they are.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
“Not trying” is a stretch. I know that. My point is that DT has not been a focus high in the draft and through FA. They have been bargain shopping. Jerry would rather spend on WR and RB. That’s why they are who they are.

That I agree with. Watkins and Urban are Jags who have done ok but we absolutely need more. Bohanna is about what I thought and hope he can get better next year but i doubt he can do much to help now.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
the biggest take is fans overreacting and all back to the sky is falling attitude after one ugly loss..the emotional swing is ridiculous the sb talk to its all over loser talk around here.

Cowboys
packers
Rams
raiders
bengals
eagles

Bucs off

all lost as well.. we lost no ground really..we could have gained ground but the payoff picture is still exactly how it was going into the game..

a loss is loss..

lets let it go 24 hr rule

Don't forget BUFFALO had probably the worst loss out of everyone in that 9-6 sh*tshow against the high-flying Urban Jaguars. I would be more concerned if I was a Bills fan than i think we need to be right now (I don't think we need to really be concerned at all, barring another terrible showing next week of course). Buffalo has looked semi-hapless in 1.75 straight games now, outside of 1 good quarter last week against the Dolphins. And these performances have been in two straight weeks against teams with, at the time they played em, 2 TOTAL wins COMBINED between them. At least we lost to a team that has a winning record now...

blueblood70

Reaction score
Don't forget BUFFALO had probably the worst loss out of everyone in that 9-6 sh*tshow against the high-flying Urban Jaguars. I would be more concerned if I was a Bills fan than i think we need to be right now (I don't think we need to really be concerned at all, barring another terrible showing next week of course). Buffalo has looked semi-hapless in 1.75 straight games now, outside of 1 good quarter last week against the Dolphins. And these performances have been in two straight weeks against teams with, at the time they played em, 2 TOTAL wins COMBINED between them. At least we lost to a team that has a winning record now...
so many i forgot yes se its so normal i forgot to list one..

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
the biggest take is fans overreacting and all back to the sky is falling attitude after one ugly loss..the emotional swing is ridiculous the sb talk to its all over loser talk around here.

Cowboys
packers
Rams
raiders
bengals
eagles

Bucs off

all lost as well.. we lost no ground really..we could have gained ground but the payoff picture is still exactly how it was going into the game..

a loss is loss..

lets let it go 24 hr rule
I agree with you but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned about our Rush defense…

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Dak completed that 4th and one pass, the game would have been totally different. That would have been a touchdown. Crazy how things turn out. Those two overthrown balls to CeeDee were because Dak has not played in 3 weeks.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
How demoralizing is it to have the opponent in a 2nd and 17 only to have the RB gash you for 14 yards to make it 3rd and 3? The Cowboys soft pass defense almost always allows that conversion. The Cowboys had 10 TFLs yesterday. That should be enough to stop any offense. But in almost every case the Broncos were able to overcome those losses. It was an embarrassing defeat.
In every phase they had their issues, Defense looked more like the Nolan group, than the one we have seen under Quinn this season.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
People will find this amusing, but I'm interested to see Trysten Hill on the field in this scheme.

He was a bull against the run in college. Ask Tony Pollard. Memphis barely scored against UCF when Hill was on the field but scored at-will when he was not.

Marinelli and the 2nd UCF coaching staff tried to make him a 'pass rush 1st' type player but his original UCF coaching staff had engrained 'run defense 1st' into him.
- He respected the 1st UCF coaching staff and struggled to believe the other staffs that were telling him that style was wrong.

He played as a 3-4 NT with the 1st UCF staff.

The guy has top notch physical ability. His mental makeup is the only question mark.

Gallimore on the other hand, but a pass rushing type DT in college. His run defense was the question mark.
I am also looking forward to see how Quinn can coach up Hill. Osa who is basically learning a new position, has looked good his rookie season, far better then both Hill/Gallimore.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Im concerned that it wasnt Dak being rusty. After all he played well in his first game back against Tampa. I agree that this defense is still soft in the middle and tackling will be the undoing against playoff teams.
Clearly Dak was rusty missed a ton of passes that he usually makes, also dealing with more consistent pressure affected him as well. This team is at it's best when teams are chasing the scoreboard, not the other way around.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score

Dallas had the worse loss. Buffalo's defense at least showed up. No part of the Cowboys did. Buffalo had a chance in the end, We didn't. Buffalo was at least in the game. We wasn't. Buffalo was getting hit. But they hit back to. You can lose by 3. Not lose by 30 late in a game.

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Dallas had the worse loss. Buffalo's defense at least showed up. No part of the Cowboys did. Buffalo had a chance in the end, We didn't. Buffalo was at least in the game. We wasn't. Buffalo was getting hit. But they hit back to. You can lose by 3. Not lose by 30 late in a game.

Buffalo was also playing perhaps THE most hapless team in the NFL with an already potentially-lame duck HC in Urban Meyer, who has clearly proven already that he has no damn clue what he's doing as an NFL head coach. I think that has to factor in somewhat...

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
Buffalo was also playing perhaps THE most hapless team in the NFL with an already potentially-lame duck HC in Urban Meyer, who has clearly proven already that he has no damn clue what he's doing as an NFL head coach. I think that has to factor in somewhat...

Jacksonville has a good young NFL wise head coach. Meyer is gonna have that team doing good. Real good and very soon. We could of had him but Jerry wanted another guy he could drink with and invite over for snacks:facepalm:

AshyLarry06

Reaction score
Jacksonville has a good young NFL wise head coach. Meyer is gonna have that team doing good. Real good and very soon. We could of had him but Jerry wanted another guy he could drink with and invite over for snacks:facepalm:

Strongly disagree, and Urban Meyer is NOT young in any way, shape or form lol he's 57 years old, and i'd say hes a very old 57 when you add in all those health problems and stress issues he has had over the past 10-15 years. The only thing he's gonna have that team doing is getting acclimated to having a brand new head coach, real and very soon...

RS12

Reaction score
but rather our run defense.
This. If you cant stop the run you dont win any level of football. The 2022 draft needs to prioritize DT and LB. LVE wont be on the team in 2022.

Dalmations202

Reaction score
Here is what I saw out of the game:
1) Dak is as good as his Oline will allow. Oline keeps him clean, he is a great QB, Oline is iffy --- he becomes a bottom half QB instead of a top half one. (This is true of most QB's -- see Pat Mahomes) This was the game film that Aikman was talking about when he said Dak wasn't accurate, and the WR's didn't do him any favors.....
2) The Oline thing is an issue. I think the proper thing to do was move Collins to LT and only have one change from previous weeks, but apparently the coaches know so much more than everyone -- I read it all the time here.
3) Having your 300+ lb 1T (Hamilton) grab a guy and have help and still get drug for 6 more yards...........time for new stronger DL who have been taught how to tackle.. embarrassing. Dallas needs to invest capital here badly.
4) I really like LVE, but he is a shell of himself and not a MLB. He can't stack and shed. He can't seem to move fwd, but spends his time looking lateral, and then not going through people, but getting drug around 5 yards downfield. (Extremely weak link)
5) Officials are still massively inconsistent on what is and isn't a hold, PI, etc. , and how they officiate a game.
6) Too many, and I mean WAY TOO MANY drops from the WR group.
7) TE is the weakest link, IMO, on the offense. Yes Shultz can find a hole every now and again, but blocking sucks (especially open field, and he isn't exactly mistaken for a lineman when he is in line), RAC is weak, and if the defender is close -- he isn't coming down with it.
8) MM still makes stupid decisions when it comes to 4th down.
9) Odig and Parsons looked good, and Watkins, Gregory looked ok...... I may have missed someone, but I didn't remember anyone else in the front 7 had a good game.
10) Just my honest opinion, the game plan seemed weak, players seems to believe they had the game won without playing and read to much of their own hype, and overall worse played, coached, officiated, discipline, strength, game I have seen in a long while out of the Cowboys. Don't show this tape to any of the players, but this should give coaches plenty of things to work on. A good GM would be kicking coaches backsides for this game plan and adjustments.

If this team really has Superbowl asperations, Denver showed them lots of weaknesses that can be exploited.

Cydios

Reaction score
Nothing went right. throwing, receiving, run defense.. pass defense. I mean hell, even ST gaffed up the block. Football Gods said we needed to lose one. The biggest concern better be the response. Dallas better destroy the Falcons, not just beat.. utterly take that frustration out and beat the living Shhhh out of them.