Bills release Mike Williams

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
The Bills have released offensive lineman Mike Williams. “We are announcing today that we have released Mike Williams,” Bills general manager Marv Levy said. “We appreciate his efforts and wish him well in what lies ahead in his career.” Williams was selected by the Bills with the fourth overall pick in the 2002 Draft and was Buffalo's highest draft pick since Bruce Smith (#1 overall in 1985).

http://www.buffalobills.com/

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HomeOfLegends said:
The Bills have released offensive lineman Mike Williams. “We are announcing today that we have released Mike Williams,” Bills general manager Marv Levy said. “We appreciate his efforts and wish him well in what lies ahead in his career.” Williams was selected by the Bills with the fourth overall pick in the 2002 Draft and was Buffalo's highest draft pick since Bruce Smith (#1 overall in 1985).

Interesting player.

joseephuss

Reaction score
He is someone to take a look at, but Dallas doesn't need to rush to sign him. He seems to suffer from a lack of motivation. I never thought he would live up to his lofty draft status coming out of UT and I didn't think he would be capable of making the switch to left tackle in the NFL. He could still become a dependable right tackle.

gbrittain

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:

I am not one of those guys who always posts about bringing in this guy or that guy that has been released.

I would not mind giving him a shot though. He still has upside, and he would probably be better than any rookie we were to draft inititially.

Of course I have no idea what he wants in terms of $$$, and that could be the ultimate deal breaker.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I think it would interesting to see, how many tackles say since 2000 or so, taken in top 10 picks made it to pro-bowl or played at a really good level? I think its worse or as bad as QB picks, from what I can see.

Robert Gallery, has been a dissappointment, heck I heard him being called little bit soft?? I thought he was supposed to the tough/nasty guy? Jordon Goss, was supposed to be LT, but stuck at RT. Way too many guys have been busts considering where they were picked seems like.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
IMO, this is the type of guy we need to be looking at. I agree with those who say he did not live up to his billing but I'm also one of those guys who watched him play at Texas. He has talent. Why he didn't work out in Buffalo, I don't know. He's going to be cheap IMO. What's the difference between bringing this guy in to have a look and bringing Rogers back to give him another look?

gbrittain

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
IMO, this is the type of guy we need to be looking at. I agree with those who say he did not live up to his billing but I'm also one of those guys who watched him play at Texas. He has talent. Why he didn't work out in Buffalo, I don't know. He's going to be cheap IMO. What's the difference between bringing this guy in to have a look and bringing Rogers back to give him another look?

I would love to give this guy a chance in Dallas at the right price. There is no doubt we need OL help. I am on the bring Mike Williams in fan club.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He was unmotivated and too heavy. He was tried at guard this past season but by that point you could tell the relationship was doomed. He's at fat arse at 360... at 325 you might have a player at either RT or at guard.

RealCowboyfan

Championship
Reaction score
I hope Dallas Cowboys sign him... nice Right Tackle... Roy Williams even said so...

We should get him... nice size and he could help us immediately... he will settle our RT problems...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It seems we have one of these in Gurrode, do we need two?

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I was high on this guy when he came out. but he's one of the reasons that Drew couldn't throw the ball in Buff. He performed as poorly if not worse than Petitti and Tucker -- but for four seasons.

I'd love to take a look though for the minimum.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Well Parcells has proven he can motivate players to shed a few pounds.....how many pounds did Rob take off?

Williams could be a good sign.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
UppityCracker2 said:
I don't know anything about this player. Is he any good? If so, him or Fabini?

Let's see. Drafted #4 overall in 2002. now he's getting cut.

does that answer your question?

dstew60105

Reaction score
HomeOfLegends said:

Could be worth a look.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
dstew60105 said:
Could be worth a look.

Yep, he and Columbo could help us corner the market on busts.

At least having both of them around would make us feel better about Rogers.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
BP doesn't like fat OL guys. When they took a chance on Petitti, and it was only a 6th round chance, BP told him to be down to 335 by mini camp and 325 by TC. Rob did it. That impressed Bill and made him want to help Rob succeed. Williams? The Bills have been trying to get him to lose weight for 4 years without any luck. That's the difference. Rob is a "lunch pail, play with pain" kind of guy, Mike Williams is a "show me the Benjamins, I'll order pages 3 and 4 of the menu" kind of guy.

Why anyone thinks Big Mike is going to wake up some day soon and love the game enough to lose 50 pounds so he won't be a GD swinging gate at RT for anyone with speed I have no idea. Unless we had a plan to sign a Bentley which was going to require us to cut LA to afford him and we planned to sign MW as a OG with a modest contract I'd have to say run for the hills.

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Well Parcells has proven he can motivate players to shed a few pounds.....how many pounds did Rob take off?

Williams could be a good sign.

I don't know Poombah, this guy is nothing more than a lethargic, unmotivated, injury prone slob. He was one of the biggest busts in the last 10 years and he directly contributed to the offensive line woes Buffalo, which in turn resulted in Bledsoe getting smacked around a lot in 03' and 04' since he failed to shore up the RT position which was one of the Bills gaping holes coming off a 3-13 season in 01'. Ironically his best year came as a rookie in 02', but it was all downhill since.

If Fat Mike would've spent more time focusing on the O-Line than the buffet line than perhaps he might have lived up to a fraction of the expectations he had coming out of college. Now granted 31 other teams would have likely taken him at the #4 slot in the 2002 draft, he just hasn't come close to living up to the hype. I'm not even sure if he's worth signing at the veteran minimun, that's how much of a bust this guy has been. :cool: