Bills release Mike Williams

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Interesting player.

do you find unmotivated, fat losers interesting?

this guy has been a total dog since day one...not even worth league minimum

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
IMO, this is the type of guy we need to be looking at. I agree with those who say he did not live up to his billing but I'm also one of those guys who watched him play at Texas. He has talent. Why he didn't work out in Buffalo, I don't know. He's going to be cheap IMO. What's the difference between bringing this guy in to have a look and bringing Rogers back to give him another look?

this ISNT the kind of guy we need to be lookign at...he's been horrible and he's always out of shape

we need GOOD players, not mammoth busts

David

RedLine

Reaction score
I think they should ask Bledsoe what he thinks of him. After the beating Bledsoe took in Buffalo, if he thinks it is worth a shot I would bring him in.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
I don't know Poombah, this guy is nothing more than a lethargic, unmotivated, injury prone slob. He was one of the biggest busts in the last 10 years and he directly contributed to the offensive line woes Buffalo, which in turn resulted in Bledsoe getting smacked around a lot in 03' and 04' since he failed to shore up the RT position which was one of the Bills gaping holes coming off a 3-13 season in 01'. Ironically his best year came as a rookie in 02', but it was all downhill since.

If Fat Mike would've spent more time focusing on the O-Line than the buffet line than perhaps he might have lived up to a fraction of the expectations he had coming out of college. Now granted 31 other teams would have likely taken him at the #4 slot in the 2002 draft, he just hasn't come close to living up to the hype. I'm not even sure if he's worth signing at the veteran minimun, that's how much of a bust this guy has been. :cool:

If he's that bad I would agree. I'll admit after he became a pro I haven't kept up w/his progress or nonprogress. I just know him from his UT years which were outstanding.

Do you really think,His being cut and a taste of reality wouldn't awaken the old motivational chromozones(sp)???

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
If he's that bad I would agree. I'll admit after he became a pro I haven't kept up w/his progress or nonprogress. I just know him from his UT years which were outstanding.

Do you really think,His being cut and a taste of reality wouldn't awaken the old motivational chromozones(sp)???

Yes he was one of the all time greats to come out of Texas, and I'm sure Roy Williams would vouch for him. And...amazingly enough he still is only 25 years old! So perhaps there is hope for him, I'm just not sure I see Parcells willing to undertake this 'project' because that is what he still is at this point in his career. Also Bledsoe is well aware of this guys shoddy protection having to depend on his sporadic, inconsistent play for 3 years in Buffalo, and I'm sure his imput to Jerry Jones and Parcells wouldn't exactly be 'positive' in terms of bringing him here. You never know though.

But with all that said....could he be an upgrade over Petitti?...It's quite possible. :cool:

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Bledsoe4MVP said:
Yes he was one of the all time greats to come out of Texas, and I'm sure Roy Williams would vouch for him. And...amazingly enough he still is only 25 years old! So perhaps there is hope for him, I'm just not sure I see Parcells willing to undertake this 'project' because that is what he still is at this point in his career. Also Bledsoe is well aware of this guys shoddy protection having to depend on his sporadic, inconsistent play for 3 years in Buffalo, and I'm sure his imput to Jerry Jones and Parcells wouldn't exactly be 'positive' in terms of bringing him here. You never know though.

But with all that said....could he be an upgrade over Petitti?...It's quite possible. :cool:

I'm one of those that thinks that Rob will show alot of improvement this next season. If Parcells does not share the same view , then I hope he spends the bucks and brings in a guy that's ready to step in and help take us to where we want to be. Please though, make sure he healthy and young enough to play 3-4 years.....not just a band-aide please.

Dyluke

Reaction score
I was a big fan of him in college and would love for Dallas to bring him in for a look-see. He would be a great sign IMO. "Bu..But he's an underachiever and hasn't done anything in his career blah blah blah." Dallas would not have to break the bank for a guy who was selected 4th overall just a few years ago, he has talent, and i think Tuna could really season MW's game.

neosapien23

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
BP doesn't like fat OL guys. When they took a chance on Petitti, and it was only a 6th round chance, BP told him to be down to 335 by mini camp and 325 by TC. Rob did it. That impressed Bill and made him want to help Rob succeed. Williams? The Bills have been trying to get him to lose weight for 4 years without any luck. That's the difference. Rob is a "lunch pail, play with pain" kind of guy, Mike Williams is a "show me the Benjamins, I'll order pages 3 and 4 of the menu" kind of guy.

Why anyone thinks Big Mike is going to wake up some day soon and love the game enough to lose 50 pounds so he won't be a GD swinging gate at RT for anyone with speed I have no idea. Unless we had a plan to sign a Bentley which was going to require us to cut LA to afford him and we planned to sign MW as a OG with a modest contract I'd have to say run for the hills.

He only has to lose about 20lbs. That would put him at 340 which is 5lbs less than Adams. I think Parcells can get this guy to lose the weight. Like most UT players, Mike Williams wanted to stay in Texas. I think a Texas reunion would help motivate him. Houston might try and bring him in as well.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
neosapien23 said:
Like most UT players, Mike Williams wanted to stay in Texas. l.

and that is why the #4 overall pick in the draft played so poorly.

sign him up -- sounds like the kind of player we need.

TheSkaven

Last Man Standing
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Well Parcells has proven he can motivate players to shed a few pounds.....how many pounds did Rob take off?

Williams could be a good sign.
I agree, and as Parcells is fond of saying, if someone else saw something in a player and drafted him that high, there is always the chance that he just didn't get the proper coaching. I'd say there's a reasonable chance Bill takes a gamble on him.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
I really like the fit. It wouldn't be too much of a gamble picking him up, and he could have a lot of upside.

Adams - Allen* - Bentley** - Rivera - Williams
Rogers - Peterman - Johnson - Draft/Gurode/Tucker? - Petitti/Columbo

I'd love the potential in having...

Rogers - Peterman - Bentley - Drafted Guard - Williams

All young...

We'd be PRETTY set at tackle, and the most important thing would be to fix the interial line.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I agree, and as Parcells is fond of saying, if someone else saw something in a player and drafted him that high, there is always the chance that he just didn't get the proper coaching. I'd say there's a reasonable chance Bill takes a gamble on him.

The only thing I can honestly say about him is that he was an outstanding talent at UT.

My biggest concern is that he has been in the league 3yrs and hasn't done squat......If one believes in the "Landry rule" you cut him & move on..

What a talent ... So I can't help being intrigued.

KingTuna

Reaction score
Bring him back to Texas...Parcells MUST consider this guy...the FOURTH overall pick in 2002..DO IT!

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
The only thing I can honestly say about him is that he was an outstanding talent at UT.

My biggest concern is that he has been in the league 3yrs and hasn't done squat......If one believes in the "Landry rule" you cut him & move on..

What a talent ... So I can't help being intrigued.

would you be concerned more if I told you he's been in the league for 4 years?

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
abersonc said:
would you be concerned more if I told you he's been in the league for 4 years?

Yes it would.....That would mean I flunked math.:D

Seriously that is a huge concern and I happen to believe in the "Landry Rule" esp. in this day and age.

With his talent, a player being as close to a sure thing coming out as one could be, I still can't believe this kid was such a bust.....WHY??????

Was it the lack of coaching, could he not handle the cold northeast, did he think he had to eat to stay warm......could he not take the pressure of being such a high draft choice????

The wise thing to do would probably be to forget him.....but I can't be anything but intrigued.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There is a reason Buffalo let him go. He is just another retread. Interesting? Not really. Worth a look? Not really. Not even if you had your hand on the panic button.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but he would be brought in to compete with Pettiti, Colombo and Rogers for the last OT spot on the roster in camp. Depending on this guy for anything would be foolish.

neosapien23

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
I wouldn't mind bringing him in, but he would be brought in to compete with Pettiti, Colombo and Rogers for the last OT spot on the roster in camp. Depending on this guy for anything would be foolish.

I wouldn't expect him to beat out Pettitti, bit I am definitley hoping we bring him in one a 1 year deal. If he can lose weight and return to college form, it would have been a great gamble.

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
From everything I've seen and read, he's absolutely wretched. He may get picked up by someone based solely on where he was drafted (a la Ryan Leaf) but he'll soon be out of the league.