Bills release Mike Williams

gbrittain

Reaction score
Danny White said:
From everything I've seen and read, he's absolutely wretched. He may get picked up by someone based solely on where he was drafted (a la Ryan Leaf) but he'll soon be out of the league.

At least if he is indeed wretched he would fit right in on the Dallas "offensive" line.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
KingTuna said:
Bring him back to Texas...Parcells MUST consider this guy...the FOURTH overall pick in 2002..DO IT!

Good thinking! While we're at it let's bring back Ryan Leaf and Tony Mandarich!:laugh2:

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
UppityCracker2 said:
I don't know anything about this player. Is he any good? If so, him or Fabini?

He was in April of 2002, or at least a lot of folks thoght he was.

I say let's take a chance on him if he is cheap!

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Anyone been to a Bills forum to get their point of view yet ?

Hiero

Reaction score
TheSkaven said:
I agree, and as Parcells is fond of saying, if someone else saw something in a player and drafted him that high, there is always the chance that he just didn't get the proper coaching. I'd say there's a reasonable chance Bill takes a gamble on him.
I think the risk reward is worth it. Not much risk because he wont be paid much, and a very high reward, if Bill can get him into shape and playing consistent, he could be a pro bowler at RT. Plus he is from Texas which could be even more motivation.

neosapien23

Reaction score
Jarv said:

On Bills Backer, most of the fans expressed their displeasure with Williams. He was overweight and constantly hurt. I was one of the people who wanted Mike Williams, but Dallas already has two reclamation projects as it is. Between Rogers and Colombo, I hope one of them tears it up in the preseason. Not sure we have room for another project.

baj1dallas

Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I think it would interesting to see, how many tackles say since 2000 or so, taken in top 10 picks made it to pro-bowl or played at a really good level? I think its worse or as bad as QB picks, from what I can see.

Robert Gallery, has been a dissappointment, heck I heard him being called little bit soft?? I thought he was supposed to the tough/nasty guy? Jordon Goss, was supposed to be LT, but stuck at RT. Way too many guys have been busts considering where they were picked seems like.

Gross is a good RT and he could probably play left but Travelle Wharton is already there and he's also good. I haven't heard that Gallery is soft.

You can have busts at every position, that definitely includes o-line. Mostly when they are fat and lazy, as seems to be the case with Mike Williams..

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Jarv said:

Do we really need that? Or can we infer that they might think he sucks since they took him #4 in the draft and now he is being cut?

You think they might think a #4 overall pick who lost his job to an undrafted free agent might not be so good? You think that maybe they might not like him?

DLCassidy

Reaction score
I think we should bring MW in. He and Rogers can sit on the sideline together. Rogers can complain about phantom injuries while Mike puts away a gallon of Haagen Daz. In fact let's start a new rotation trend in the NFL. We'll rotate our RT on every play. How does a rotation of Petitti-Tucker-Columbo-Rogers-Williams-random draft pick sound?:eek:

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather not sign another reclamation project. We've got enough on the roster, IMO. Sign a guy who can legitimately go after the position...

Parcell's is not some miracle worker who can re-make every guy who needs a kick in the *** into a good player.

yeah we need improvement at the RT position, but we can't keep throwing projects at the spot. I'd be ok w/Fabini, but that's more for lack of other options than anything else.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'd give it a shot. At least bring him in and let Parcells talk to him man-to-man. Parcells can sell that he can resurrect Mike's career if he'll follow Parcells' instructions and workouts to the letter and get in condition for the first time in his pro career. If Williams seems genuinely interested, sign him to a cheap, short-term deal that would benefit both sides. If Parcells sees a player who just wants to keep being a fat, lazy bust who gets another paycheck from someone else, let him go on down the road.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
this ISNT the kind of guy we need to be lookign at...he's been horrible and he's always out of shape

we need GOOD players, not mammoth busts

David

This is absured. We need to look at anybody who has potential to fix our OT problem. This guy has talent. There are issues with him, no question. Having said that, the talent is there. He would not have been taken 4th over all if the natural ability was not present. If the coaching staff elects to go another way, that's there choice but to not look at him is rediculous.

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
If by "interesting" you mean "fat bust" I think we're on the same page.:laugh2:

Exactly. No thanks.

WoodysGirl said:
I'd rather not sign another reclamation project. We've got enough on the roster, IMO. Sign a guy who can legitimately go after the position...

Derinyar

Reaction score
Low risk/high reward gambles are the ones you need to make. Columbo is one like that. Williams would be one like that. IF they don't pan out you don't lose much. If they do pan out you gain something good. I probably wouldn't give him a one year contract, more likely a 3 year contract with a minimal SB. If he comes in, gets it turned around and headed the right way you don't want him free to head anywhere the following year.

If he comes into camp out of shape and refuses to work, you cut him immedately.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Derinyar said:
Low risk/high reward gambles are the ones you need to make. Columbo is one like that. Williams would be one like that. IF they don't pan out you don't lose much. If they do pan out you gain something good. I probably wouldn't give him a one year contract, more likely a 3 year contract with a minimal SB. If he comes in, gets it turned around and headed the right way you don't want him free to head anywhere the following year.

If he comes into camp out of shape and refuses to work, you cut him immedately.

Ex-actly Right. To me, this is exactly the type of gamble you make. Rivera is exactly the time you don't. This guy and has natural ability. If you can sign him to a reasonable contract rich in incentive money, where's the down side? I mean, your going to know if he's ready to work by the time training camp is over. If he doesn't make the 53, you cut him and all you have to lose is TC checks. I'd look very closely at this guy.

DLCassidy

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
I'd look very closely at this guy.

You don't have to look too closely. Just look anywhere in his general direction. He'll be the one blocking out the sun.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
DLCassidy said:
You don't have to look too closely. Just look anywhere in his general direction. He'll be the one blocking out the sun.

And that will be the only thing he is blocking.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
DLCassidy said:

So, I guess that's a bad thing then?

Newton, Allen and Williams all suffured from the same affliction. I don't see the down side to a move such as this.

Billy Bullocks

Reaction score
LT is alot different than RT.

Try writing with your non dominant hand compared to dominant hand. Everything is backwards when you switch sides like that. And he seems fat and lazy. Might as well keep slow footed Pettiti

Bledsoe4MVP

Benched
Reaction score
Jarv said:

On the main/official buffalobills.com message boards, the consensus opinion is a 'sigh of relief'. They are glad that this monumental bust is off their football team. The new regime is severing all ties from the Donahoe era, with mike williams being the biggest link. I really don't think Dallas should even consider taking a lot at this guy.:mad:

Here's a lengthy thread on Big Mike from their boards if anybody is interested:
http://boards.buffalobills.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=117012