Birddog26 twitter posts

waldoputty

Reaction score
So then your plan is to cut 27 year old T Smith?
Who else are we cutting to make up for the huge cap hit cutting him would cost?
I don't think I have heard anyone seriously say they want to cut T Smith and draft his replacement....Sounds like your just digging holes next to holes just to fill them.

https://overthecap.com/player/tyron-smith/663/

no, you dont cut smith until it becomes necessary.
but you dont allow his injuries to derail the season.
if his decline continues, then you would consider a cut next season.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Which is exactly why they are trying to sign the best available swing OTs.

It's far more likely that Tyron would limp through half a season than that he'd retire or be cut.
The team may very well say you have to have surgery next off-season or be cut but apparently hasn't done so yet.

In any case Dallas is certainly not going to give up any more info than they have.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Which is exactly why they are trying to sign the best available swing OTs.

It's far more likely that Tyron would limp through half a season than that he'd retire or be cut.
The team may very well say you have to have surgery next off-season or be cut but apparently hasn't done so yet.

In any case Dallas is certainly not going to give up any more info than they have.

the biggest problem with the 2 pats swing tackles is how much regression after leaving the pats, their system and brady

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The word on Tyron's back in the season was that it wasn't a recurrence of last year's injury and wasn't on the same side, but that both were significantly painful injuries that wouldn't get worse if he played through them and neither required surgery. Plus he then took the knee (?) injury late in the season that eventually sidelined him.

The back to back back problems are definitely concerning. If I'm Tyron, I don't risk surgery until it's the best recommended fix for the problem. If the doctors say rest, or yoga, or whatever, that's what I'm doing unless the injury is career threatening, in which case I'm retiring.

Once they say surgery is necessary if you want a shot at continuing to play, fine. That's when I'd let them cut me, but not until. This is one of those things where it's not just what's best for the team that you have to take into consideration.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The word on Tyron's back in the season was that it wasn't a recurrence of last year's injury and wasn't on the same side, but that both were significantly painful injuries that wouldn't get worse if he played through them and neither required surgery. Plus he then took the knee (?) injury late in the season that eventually sidelined him.

The back to back back problems are definitely concerning. If I'm Tyron, I don't risk surgery until it's the best recommended fix for the problem. If the doctors say rest, or yoga, or whatever, that's what I'm doing unless the injury is career threatening, in which case I'm retiring.

Once they say surgery is necessary if you want a shot at continuing to play, fine. That's when I'd let them cut me, but not until. This is one of those things where it's not just what's best for the team that you have to take into consideration.

I do agree with you, and it's certainly Smith's back and his body and his long term future life.

But the Cowboys are paying him and paying him handsomely to play football. And if this issue continues to prevent that, something's gotta give. The team has a right to a return on their investment as well.

The thought of just trying to manage things again scares me. That hasn't worked for over two years now, why should it start now?

superonyx

Reaction score
And if it doesn't? Then you just spent a valuable first round pick on a player that wont see the field for years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do agree with you, and it's certainly Smith's back and his body and his long term future life.

But the Cowboys are paying him and paying him handsomely to play football. And if this issue continues to prevent that, something's gotta give. The team has a right to a return on their investment as well.

The thought of just trying to manage things again scares me. That hasn't worked for over two years now, why should it start now?

It scares me, too. Though it's worth noting that the injuries weren't the same. It's possible he got the second in part because he was compensating for the first. Or that he's just going to be prone to them from here on out. Which, yeah, would really, really suck. You can't lose those players on cornerstone contracts.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It scares me, too. Though it's worth noting that the injuries weren't the same. It's possible he got the second in part because he was compensating for the first. Or that he's just going to be prone to them from here on out. Which, yeah, would really, really suck. You can't lose those players on cornerstone contracts.

Especially when you continue to "rework" them. That's when I say "are you crazy?" when fans matter-of-factory point to Smith's contract to free up more money. I mean, seriously? You want to get locked into a huge contract for a player missing games regularly?

I'm hoping he finds something that works for him long term. I know first hand what back issues are like. Better for him, better for the team, better for us fans.

But just don't keep doing the same thing and hoping for different results.

waldoputty

Reaction score
And if it doesn't? Then you just spent a valuable first round pick on a player that wont see the field for years.

we all work by likely scenarios, how many games did tsmith sit out in 2016 and 2017?
3 each.
and worst of all, his play in the beginning of 2017 was not inspiring.
do you think his back is going to get better by doing basically nothing?
if we can get the top OT, he could probably be a really good guard while being the backup LT.

Last edited:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
the biggest problem with the 2 pats swing tackles is how much regression after leaving the pats, their system and brady
LaAdrian Waddle was solid in Detroit before ever getting to the Pats.
Fleming is just 25 years old and very likely has his best football ahead of him.

In fact the issue is with Fleming is can we convince him to sign here.

waldoputty

Reaction score
LaAdrian Waddle was solid in Detroit before ever getting to the Pats.
Fleming is just 25 years old and very likely has his best football ahead of him.

In fact the issue is with Fleming is can we convince him to sign here.

well it depends on what we want to do.
settle for a good lt and average lg or go with an average lt and good lg?

we could draft:
1. LT
2. WR
3. LB

or
1. WR
2. G
3. LB

superonyx

Reaction score
we all work by likely scenarios, how many games did tsmith sit out in 2016 and 2017?
3 each.
and worst of all, his play in the beginning of 2017 was not inspiring.
do you think his back is going to get better by doing basically nothing?
if we can get the top OT, he could probably be a really good guard while being the backup LT.
A first round pick is way to valuable to draft a guy you hope to never have to use at his drafted position.
We are 1 year too early on calling T Smith's demise. At this point we find a backup tackle who can contribute if needed. First round picks should be certain starters for several years...Not insurance policies.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
well it depends on what we want to do.
settle for a good lt and average lg or go with an average lt and good lg?

we could draft:
1. LT
2. WR
3. LB

or
1. WR
2. G
3. LB
You cant draft players that don't exist.
There's not a good walk in starting LT available at 19.
That's the issue.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Waddle was an excellent LT at Texas Tech and is a Texas kid.
Fleming is also a Texas kid and is only 25.

Both are better than any LT projected at 19.
Wynn is the best prospect but also projected to move inside.
Connor Williams had great tape and technique as a sophomore but looks to be very short of functional strength and was abused last year by mediocre DL.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You cant draft players that don't exist.
There's not a good walk in starting LT available at 19.
That's the issue.

we are not talking walk-in starting lt.
we are talking a lt that has a year to learn since we are keeping tsmith this year.
of course, that lt will likely need to play at least 3 games or more likley 6 games this year
McGlinchey may make it to 19 this year.
miller is coming for a visit and he is expect to go in the late 1st.

DHCBF66

Reaction score
You draft a starter with your 1st pick plain and simple. You do not draft a back up player in the 1st round.