Blake Jarwin, outjumped by a 6' guy?

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I agree I dont think we have a "Gronk Type" redzone threat on this roster.
Gronk wouldnt be such a threat either if not for the chemistry he has with the goat.
This offense will become better in the RZ when this offense starts getting some chemistry,,, loads of talent, but chemistry is slow to develop.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Even if that db has a 50" vertical, Jarwin has the size and if he had the mentality for it he should have been able to box him out. Use his size to his advantage like a good te should. Same thing with blocking, any good te should be able to block a db.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Still the mind boggles that a guy could play in the NBA at 5'3" I mean he's shorter than Kevin Hart.. And it wasn't like he just had no cup o coffee either.. I think he plays 10-12 years..

And he was a main player not a bench warmer either. Being a heels fan I had the opportunity to see him play at Wake and with the hornets whenever MJ and crew would come to Charlotte.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Yeah it was Anthony that was the dunker.. Mugsy didn't have them kinda hops..

Not true. Mugsy could dunk a volleyball. His hands were too small palm a basketball.

Same deal with Kenny Smith and Spud Webb which was why they dunked either with two hands or off a bounce (i.e. catch it in the air).

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Not true. Mugsy could dunk a volleyball. His hands were too small palm a basketball.

Same deal with Kenny Smith and Spud Webb which was why they dunked either with two hands or off a bounce (i.e. catch it in the air).

Kenny Smith is 6'3" ... a full foot taller than Bogues.. he probably had less trouble dunking..

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Some of the red zone issues still showed up again yesterday but one of the reasons I keep citing leaped out at us on the throw into the end zone in the third quarter. Dak lobbed one up really high and it's Jarwin against a DB who he has 6 inches in height and a foot in reach on and the DB wins the jump ball. Good lord. If that's Dez it's a "Git off me" touchdown. The Cowboys desperately need a legit red zone receiver to emerge if they're going to get were they wanna go. You're not always going to be able to finesse your way open in that compressed area if the defense drops 8.
the db was in front and in good position. Ever hear of Spudd Webb? dude was 5'6 or so and likely wins a jump ball against Dez. Height doesnt mean all that much, cmon... you know this.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
the db was in front and in good position. Ever hear of Spudd Webb? dude was 5'6 or so and likely wins a jump ball against Dez. Height doesnt mean all that much, cmon... you know this.

The db was in front because he was more athletic. He cut Jarwin off from the corner, then when the ball was thrown, he was able to stop and get around Jarwin to get in front and then he jumped higher... It was not meant as a criticism of Jarwin but more of an observation about where he is coming off that injury. I am all but certain he catches that ball two years ago because he doesn't give up inside position so easily.

By the way, Spud's vertical was reported to be around 42 inches. Dez's was measured at 38 inches. Dez is 7-8 inches taller with arms that are 34 inches long .. Spud was never winning a jump ball against that dude.

NotForLong

Reaction score
Still the mind boggles that a guy could play in the NBA at 5'3" I mean he's shorter than Kevin Hart.. And it wasn't like he just had no cup o coffee either.. I think he plays 10-12 years..
Charlotte had the shortest starting 5 in the league
Center Mourning 6'10
Power Forward Grandma ma 6'7
And 5'3 Bouges

I always wished they would have taken Dikemba Mutombo over Grandma ma . . . Could have continued the Twin Towers of Georgetown in the NBA.

With Mutombu at Center Mourning may have gone down as one of the best power forwards of all time

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Charlotte had the shortest starting 5 in the league
Center Mourning 6'10
Power Forward Grandma ma 6'7
And 5'3 Bouges

I always wished they would have taken Dikemba Mutombo over Grandma ma . . . Could have continued the Twin Towers of Georgetown in the NBA.

With Mutombu at Center Mourning may have gone down as one of the best power forwards of all time

Maybe but I doubt it. While he was athletic for a center, Mourning was no better than average in athleticism for a PF. He feasted on bigger slower dudes at center.. That would have been more difficult to pull off at PF.. especially on defense.. Remember he played in the illegal defense days.. As such there was no zone behind you to protect if a guy could take you off the dribble. Not saying he would not have held his own, just that I don't think it would have elevated him any..

Reid1boys

Reaction score
The db was in front because he was more athletic. He cut Jarwin off from the corner, then when the ball was thrown, he was able to stop and get around Jarwin to get in front and then he jumped higher... It was not meant as a criticism of Jarwin but more of an observation about where he is coming off that injury. I am all but certain he catches that ball two years ago because he doesn't give up inside position so easily.

By the way, Spud's vertical was reported to be around 42 inches. Dez's was measured at 38 inches. Dez is 7-8 inches taller with arms that are 34 inches long .. Spud was never winning a jump ball against that dude.
I was exaggerating Dez is one of my favorite players of all time.... 1 on 1 on a jump ball there werent too many people gonna outmuscle him.