News: Bleacher Report Latest Draft Rumors: Cowboys Eyeing WR or CB at 17

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm saying those teams all started up front, as good as the skill positions were/are. That's the tried and true formula for winning championships - winning the battle up front consistently.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Wow

many CB we draft at #17 instantly becomes our #1 and it’s not even close.

What CB “vets” are you talking about?

And as for practice squad, with the exception of Awuzie our entire CB squad is basically practice squad level

We don’t have the CB equivalent to Cooper, certainly and not even Gallup

Out of both units the *clear* beat two are both wide receivers.

How anyone can look at the depth charts and somehow prioritize a 3rd WR over a clear #1 CB is just amazing to me

1. Cooper
  2. Gallup
  3. Awuzie
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. Lewis
  7. Wilson
  8. Guy who can’t stay on the field (Canady)
  9. Smith
If you are calling Lewis and Brown PS caliber, then I just cant take anything you say as anything more than hyperbole

Kwyn

Reaction score
i hope they trust their board.
I do too because if they are relying on us, they’ll draft a WR in the first, a QB in the 2nd and a RB in the 3rd

I mean “best player available”

until death do us part

Kwyn

Reaction score
If you are calling Lewis and Brown PS caliber, then I just cant take anything you say as anything more than hyperbole
Dude

You said that a CB taken at #17 wouldn’t even get off the bench

seriously?

they would start and they would be the number 1

if you honestly think Lewis, Canady, Brown and hell, CJ Goodwin, would play before a #17 overall, you’re crazy

Fulton, Williams and Diggs would all likely be upgrades over Chido,

Gladney and Terrell would both be better than Lewis, Brown is Canady

this conversation is crazy.

go ask Jerry to sign 50 wide receivers, it’s clearly the only important job on the field when drafting a WR3 is more important than a CB1

ultron

Reaction score
I’m telling you it’ll be CJ Henderson or Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs III unless Kinlaw is there. If all of them are gone, idk what the Cowboys will do.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dude

You said that a CB taken at #17 wouldn’t even get off the bench

seriously?

they would start and they would be the number 1

if you honestly think Lewis, Canady, Brown and hell, CJ Goodwin, would play before a #17 overall, you’re crazy

Fulton, Williams and Diggs would all likely be upgrades over Chido,

Gladney and Terrell would both be better than Lewis, Brown is Canady

this conversation is crazy.

go ask Jerry to sign 50 wide receivers, it’s clearly the only important job on the field when drafting a WR3 is more important than a CB1
You expect way too much from a CB coming on to a team with 3 veterans on the roster. CB's tend to have a long learning curve. Jones started his rookie year as a #4 CB, and frankly the guys ahead werent much if any better than what we have now

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wide receiver and cornerback at 17? Proves Jerry's influence in the war room is too strong. Did he not see what got Kansas City and San Francisco to the Super Bowl? Does he not remember his own 3 championship teams?
YoummeN the teams with Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders? It’s not as if WR and CB were key elements in the 1990’s.

Kwyn

Reaction score
You expect way too much from a CB coming on to a team with 3 veterans on the roster. CB's tend to have a long learning curve. Jones started his rookie year as a #4 CB, and frankly the guys ahead werent much if any better than what we have now
And WR is even worse. They are notorious for struggling in their rookie year

The bottom line, indisputable fact, is that you need a minimum of two WR and two CB

Your argument is that Chido and Brown (they are both average at the very best) are better than Cooper and Gallup

that’s not even a straw man. That’s your argument.

I think that is fundamentally flawed

I’m saying I can easily go get a WR in the third or fourth round to develop into a third WR

You can’t go get a CB in the third and make him a CB1 without striking the mother lode of luck.

il not saying I don’t think WR needs to be something we look at but it’s like buying a Mercedes when you have a BMW .... meanwhile, you’re parking both of them outside your double-wide

I want our CB to be at least a Honda and right now we have a couple of hoopties

Kwyn

Reaction score
Way too small to play DE, I’m not interested in him at all
Not at 17. He’s a guy whose buzz has started as a result of a couple of media articles but I wouldn’t spend our first on him.

I’m all about best defensive player available. DT, DE, CB or Safety

not a big fan of the first round safety talent but hopefully it wouldn’t come. To that and we’d find one of the other three

if Kinlaw slides, take him. If not, give me Fulton. The guy doesn’t have the combine numbers but the tape doesn’t lie. He can play.

kskboys

Reaction score
Way too small to play DE, I’m not interested in him at all
To a point, but since he's very good against the run, it may not be as big a factor as you're thinking. To be seen.

kskboys

Reaction score
YoummeN the teams with Michael Irvin and Deion Sanders? It’s not as if WR and CB were key elements in the 1990’s.
Sanders was only there for the last one, and paying him huge money was part of our demise.

Those 90's teams were built around the trenches, plain and simple.

ultron

Reaction score
To a point, but since he's very good against the run, it may not be as big a factor as you're thinking. To be seen.
I don’t know that he would be very good against the run in the nfl at 6’4 250lbs - he’ll be facing world class OLinemen not guys from Chattanooga State and Middle Tennessee, etc..

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score

I would agree saying Lewis is a practice squad caliber corner is an hyperbole.

That said, he’s not nearly as good as some fans would want to believe. He was absolutely eviscerated by Buffalo and embarrassed by embarrassed by Steven Sims Jr. of the Commanders.

In 2018 and 2019 QBs have completed 68.4 and 68.8 passes against him.

817Gill

Reaction score
WR is also a huge need. After Gallup and Cooper we have practice squad players.

When we drafted Dez Bryant, he was our #3 WR.

Are you ok with drafting a #4 CB in the first round? Because its likely any CB we draft will be behind the vets on the depth chart
The day 1 guaranteed starters are Okudah followed not so closely (Jeff is a beast) by Henderson.

Then you got the could start day 1 but not a lock in Fulton, Gladney, and Johnson.

Then the last starter group are guys who are probably CB2/3 their rookie year, but project favorably for CB1 in a year or two; Danztler, Terrell, Igbonighbene, Hall (if healthy), and Arnette.

IMO all of them are gone by our pick in round 3 save maybe 1 or 2. CB has to be addressed in the first two rounds or we are putting a lot of undue pressure on that unit.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I would agree saying Lewis is a practice squad caliber corner is an hyperbole.

That said, he’s not nearly as good as some fans would want to believe. He was absolutely eviscerated by Buffalo and embarrassed by embarrassed by Steven Sims Jr. of the Commanders.

In 2018 and 2019 QBs have completed 68.4 and 68.8 passes against him.
Lewis is probably a #3 CB in the NFL. So is Brown. But the CB can have a steep curve. With a team hoping to contend for they playoffs, they might be a bit more conservative and lean on the veterans.

817Gill

Reaction score
I’m telling you it’ll be CJ Henderson or Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs III unless Kinlaw is there. If all of them are gone, idk what the Cowboys will do.
Trade back and I would like it

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The day 1 guaranteed starters are Okudah followed not so closely (Jeff is a beast) by Henderson.

Then you got the could start day 1 but not a lock in Fulton, Gladney, and Johnson.

Then the last starter group are guys who are probably CB2/3 their rookie year, but project favorably for CB1 in a year or two; Danztler, Terrell, Igbonighbene, Hall (if healthy), and Arnette.

IMO all of them are gone by our pick in round 3 save maybe 1 or 2. CB has to be addressed in the first two rounds or we are putting a lot of undue pressure on that unit.
Im a little cautious on Henderson after Cro's breakdown. Especially when it comes to early playability. I could see him having a Kareem Jackson or Dre Kirkpatrick career trajectory where it takes him some time to really play at a high kevel

817Gill

Reaction score
Im a little cautious on Henderson after Cro's breakdown. Especially when it comes to early playability. I could see him having a Kareem Jackson or Dre Kirkpatrick career trajectory where it takes him some time to really play at a high kevel
Yeah that’s why he’s not a consensus top 10 guy, but I think with those athletic traits combined with a natural feel for the position; he can be one of those guys who learns by being thrown into the fire.

For example take Jaire Alexander. Played right away as a rookie and maybe wasn’t as Day 1 ready as you’d like. But his athletic traits and instincts allowed him to learn from an uneven start and become super solid midway through his rookie.

He’s more of a gambler and can get beat plays a bit different than Henderson who’s more conservative, but there are rookies who learn and grow by fire and those who wilt. Hopefully CJ is the former not the latter