News: Bleacher Report Latest Draft Rumors: Cowboys Eyeing WR or CB at 17

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I think the recent signings of the 2 DL has told us that DL is not on the draft list high up.

WR could be there due to the number of good choices at 17. And other teams might want to move up to get one.

We could use more picks. Leaking interest we might take a WR might shake the tree.

I think DB corner is our Target, either at 17 or where ever we might move back to.

Just a thought.
I think so too but if the plan is to get Henderson.....they may have to trade up to get him.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I would trade back before I would draft a WR. I just can’t justify going into the season without adding someone that was going to absolutely start for me on defense.

min not a fan of taking for positional need, but unit need? Maybe. If no defensive player is worth a damn at 17, then I talk to the Patriots. Maybe they move up a few spots to get one of the 4-5th best QB’s

what I wouldn’t want to do is is draft a third wide receiver unless I’m guaranteed a generational type guy and there isn’t an offensive player in the entire draft class that fits that bill

(I think only Chase Young and Isaiah Simmons fit that description)
I can understand where you are coming from but I have one rule about the draft. Don’t trade away from premiere talent. That’s the worst thing you can do. The draft is hard. No doubt. But I’d rather have a premiere player that I know has a big shot at succeeding than I would trading down for a lesser talented player.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Offense was good last year

Failed vs Jets
Failed vs Saints
Failed vs pats
Failed vs Eagles

The list is longer too...the offense cost us plenty of games
Going by raw stats, both units were well above NFL average. Both units showed that raw stats are poor gauge of effectiveness. Both units need work

Last edited:

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Lol Atlanta & Calvin Ridley. Julio and Sanu were the starting outside guys both on contract extensions, Ridley started in the slot his rookie year.

Of course this made Sanu expendable, but so is Coop in 2 seasons. Say the team grabs a guy like Justin Jefferson. And after 2 years Gallup is up for a new deal and Coop’s contract is cuttable without a huge cap hit, and Jefferson has been a stud. You could make a case to let Coop walk sign Gallup to an extension and roll with him and Jefferson as your starting outside WR’s.

Not saying it’s the right move, but there is some reasoning behind it
We did it once. The guys name was Dez Bryant

Kwyn

Reaction score
"We need to draft a defensive player in the first" is starting to sound like group think to me tbh
Hmm

when I was watching games last year, I was cursing our defense and special teams much more often than the offense

To be honest, the fixation on flash and “skill” positions seems much more like groupthink to me.

Everyone likes the shiny bits. We’re like crows who see a piece of tin foil and take it back to the nest.

To continue the metaphor, our team needs more sticks and less pieces of foul.

if the game was just standing on the 30 yard line and each team gets to heave 10 bombs into the opposing end zone and have a bunch of receivers jump up and down trying to catch it, then hell, bring on third, fourth, fifth and sixth string wide receivers. First team to 7 bombs wins.

I just have no idea why so many are fixated on adding a third wide receiver with a first round pick.

seems very wasteful

if we are actually looking at a WR at 17, then we are looking for a #1 or #2 and we’re putting Gallup into a part time slot role. No one drafts a slot receiver in the first round

So, I don’t understand why that would be the plan for us

Kwyn

Reaction score
"We need to draft a defensive player in the first" is starting to sound like group think to me tbh
Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t mean to come on so strong or make light of the need for good skill players on offense. I just see way more holes on the other side

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hmm

when I was watching games last year, I was cursing our defense and special teams much more often than the offense

To be honest, the fixation on flash and “skill” positions seems much more like groupthink to me.

Everyone likes the shiny bits. We’re like crows who see a piece of tin foil and take it back to the nest.

if the game was just standing on the 30 yard line and each team gets to heave 10 bombs into the opposing end zone and have a bunch of receivers jump up and down trying to catch it, then hell, bring on third, fourth, fifth and sixth string wide receivers. First team to 7 bombs wins.

I just have no idea why so many are fixated on adding a third wide receiver with a first round pick.

seems very wasteful

if we are actually looking at a WR at 17, then we are looking for a #1 or #2 and we’re putting Gallup into a part time slot role. No one drafts a slot receiver in the first round

A first round pick is about the next 8-10 years more so than it is next year. If Dallas drafts a WR in the first, they arent going to be the #3 WR for long. Do you think Dallas is going to be paying both Cooper amd Gallups 2nd contracts at the same time. I seriously doubt it. When Gallup's rookie deal is up, its going to be either him or Cooper staying. And it wouldnt shock me to see Gallup the one staying.

The " group think" comment was strong. However I just dont see it the way people that think we have no choice but to go defense. If it comes down to taking value at WR, Vs. reaching for a CB. I take value at the postion where they top players make in excess of 20 million a year VS a reach at a position where the top players make 16 million a year. Its not because they are glamorous. Its because they are more valuable

Now if we are talking a DE, or even nowadays a DT (replaced CB as a Money 5)

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Don’t get me wrong. I didn’t mean to come on so strong or make light of the need for good skill players on offense. I just see way more holes on the other side
No offense taken. My group think comment was a little strong

Kwyn

Reaction score
A first round pick is about the next 8-10 years more so than it is next year. If Dallas drafts a WR in the first, they arent going to be the #3 WR for long. Do you think Dallas is going to be paying both Cooper amd Gallups 2nd contracts at the same time. I seriously doubt it. When Gallup's rookie deal is up, its going to be either him or Cooper staying. And it wouldnt shock me to see Gallup the one staying.

The " group think" comment was strong. However I just dont see it the way people that think we have no choice but to go defense. If it comes down to taking value at WR, Vs. reaching for a CB. I take value at the postion where they top players make in excess of 20 million a year VS a reach at a position where the top players make 16 million a year. Its not because they are glamorous. Its because they are more valuable

Now if we are talking a DE, or even nowadays a DT (replaced CB as a Money 5)
So, beat player available, no matter what?

I get “best player available” and it fits in with what McCarthy said, but a team has to have priorities.

Being absolutely rigid with the best player on the board with every pick ends up drafting second or third string players when you have huge holes elsewhere

Please tell me you’re not ok with Lewis, Brown and Awuzie as your starting CB’s

To make it even more dire. Both Lewis and Awuzie are in the last year of their deals next year. Our only starting CB is Anthony Brown. Do most people even know we’re actually going to start him now that Jones is gone?

You’re more concerned about cap problems for paying both Gallup and Cooper and finding a third wide receiver more than you are about not even having Cornerbacks?

Canady, Brown and Deante Burton.

Your 2021 starting Cornerbacks.

Let that sink in for a minute.

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I don't want a receiver first but I can get behind it if Chaisson, Henderson and Kinlaw are gone.

I'd totally respect our choice if K'Lavon Chaisson turned out to be Dallas' pick at #17. There's a short supply of DEs this year, so it would probably be a fortunate pick for us if he were still available at our spot. I think Kinlaw will be taken well before our #17 pick and I like Henderson as a cover guy, although, he's seen as a liability in run coverage by most scouts. Truth be told, CBs are mainly there for the coverage, so there's that to consider, also.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd totally respect our choice if K'Lavon Chaisson turned out to be Dallas' pick at #17. There's a short supply of DEs this year, so it would probably be a fortunate pick for us if he were still available at our spot. I think Kinlaw will be taken well before our #17 pick and I like Henderson as a cover guy, although, he's seen as a liability in run coverage by most scouts. Truth be told, CBs are mainly there for the coverage, so there's that to consider, also.
Someone will fall to us though. Someone who was suppose to go higher but didn’t. What Position they player is? I don’t know.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hmm

seems very wasteful

WR is also a huge need. After Gallup and Cooper we have practice squad players.

When we drafted Dez Bryant, he was our #3 WR.

Are you ok with drafting a #4 CB in the first round? Because its likely any CB we draft will be behind the vets on the depth chart

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
1. Jerry has always liked "flash" players, good publicity for the team, which translate to more $$$$ for his pocketbook. Jerry's intensely proud of taking the team from a value of millions to billions. So another receiver would fill that need.
2. But he's no spring chicken, his time frame for another SB or two or three is fast running out. May be that he's reached the point where he's willing to quit trying to mold the team in his vision and let the coaches do it. I hope so. Cornerback is no doubt a big need, don't think anybody will argue that.
3. A lot of draft projections show wide receivers going early and in large numbers. All the "flash" receivers may be gone by 17, so what's next? JJ surely loved Deion Sanders being on the team, and he did realize back then that cornerback was a major need, just like now. Not a Deion in the draft this year (like most years, Deion was special), though.

At this point I'm really hoping for Henderson at 17. None of the cornerbacks on the team are top notch, they're not going to get there, would have shown it by now if they were going to. MAYBE the new coaches can get Lewis or Brown there, but that is not a good bet.

And yes, Henderson doesn't tackle much, but there's a couple of things about that. First, if the receiver doesn't catch the ball, there's no need to tackle. The scheme can keep him from having to tackle on sweeps, etc. that much, so that minimizes that "problem". Second, it may be that Henderson was just trying to make sure he stays healthy until he gets to the pros, and once he gets the NFL contract, he'll be willing to tackle more. Third, with nothing to do but play football, he can probably get a bit bigger and stronger, making tackling a bit easier.

I just feel having a top cover corner is sorely needed, I'm willing to maybe have a couple of missed tackles if it means I can reduce the other team's top receiver's impact.

All depends on picks 1-16, as in any year, but from what I've seen it's a good bet Henderson is there at 17...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Wide receiver and cornerback at 17? Proves Jerry's influence in the war room is too strong. Did he not see what got Kansas City and San Francisco to the Super Bowl? Does he not remember his own 3 championship teams?

1. All 3 of those teams had the number one rusher, Emmitt Smith. 1992 team had the number one defense, 1993 team the no. 3 defense. Is that what you mean? Cowboys need to have the no. 1 rushing offense and no. 1 defense? I'm guessing you're not.
2. What did Dallas need to get that first of the 3 SBs? Charles Haley, defensive player. To get the 1995 SB? Deion Sanders, defensive player. So if you want to go back to those teams, Dallas needs to draft defense.
3. So KC had a top offense and won the SB. What happened the year before? Pats held the no. 1 offense in the league to 3 pts.

Dallas doesn't have a Mahomes to throw the ball and a Reid to design the passing game. Dak's good, but he's not Mahomes. McCarthy may improve the offense, but how much?

I get your point, but let's not take one team's one year and say "we need to do that". Each team is different, not saying what you suggest won't work, but playing copycat doesn't work that often...

Kwyn

Reaction score
WR is also a huge need. After Gallup and Cooper we have practice squad players.

When we drafted Dez Bryant, he was our #3 WR.

Are you ok with drafting a #4 CB in the first round? Because its likely any CB we draft will be behind the vets on the depth chart

Wow

Any CB we draft at #17 instantly becomes our #1 and it’s not even close.

What CB “vets” are you talking about that would make a #17 pick ride the bench?

And, as for practice squad, with the exception of Awuzie our entire CB depth chart is basically practice squad level

We don’t have the CB equivalent to Cooper, certainly, and not even Gallup

Out of both units the *clear* best two players are both wide receivers.

How anyone can look at the depth charts and somehow prioritize a 3rd WR over a clear #1 CB is just amazing to me

1. Cooper
  2. Gallup
  3. Awuzie
  4. ...
  5. ...
  6. Lewis
  7. Wilson
  8. Guy who can’t stay on the field (Canady)
  9. Smith

Last edited: