News: Bleacher Report Latest Draft Rumors: Cowboys Eyeing WR or CB at 17

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah that’s why he’s not a consensus top 10 guy, but I think with those athletic traits combined with a natural feel for the position; he can be one of those guys who learns by being thrown into the fire.

For example take Jaire Alexander. Played right away as a rookie and maybe wasn’t as Day 1 ready as you’d like. But his athletic traits and instincts allowed him to learn from an uneven start and become super solid midway through his rookie.

He’s more of a gambler and can get beat plays a bit different than Henderson who’s more conservative, but there are rookies who learn and grow by fire and those who wilt. Hopefully CJ is the former not the latter
I just hope we dont get a Deandre Baker lol

But Im sure glad NY did

quickccc

Reaction score
If we go WR in the first, who you benching, Coop or Gallup?

Neither Gallup and definitely not Cooper would be benched... at this time,
that rookie WR would be playing the 3rd WR/slot ...until Cooper's 2 year escape cluse is executed.
That would be the only reason why i'd see us taking a WR in first round,
..and not just taking a WR to to be taking one, but that specific WR would have to be tabbed as the heir apparent to Cooper's role.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
If we go WR in the first, who you benching, Coop or Gallup?

Randall Cobb has 720 snaps last season, or 64% as the third receiver.

I’d be fine with a guy like Lamb or Jeudy getting the same amount of snaps as a rookie.

That said, I think there’s little chance with of those guys make it to #17.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I do not see those 3 receivers lasting to 17, most mocks have them all going right behide each others well before 17.

quickccc

Reaction score
[QUOTE="ultron, post: 10108360, member: 39885"]Way too small to play DE, I’m not interested in him at all[/QUOTE]

(sigh)... unfortunately that was the kind of thinking from Marinelli that kept us from getting TJ Watt, one of the premiere defensive players in NFL
..and instead we ended up with bust Taco Charlton. :confused:

king987

Reaction score
Not the biggest shock. I'd rather them not take a WR in the 1st Round, but it just might be the clear cut BPA. You can argue then a potential trade down, but let's just say the trade down isn't there. I'd rather Dallas have a killer WR trio than take the clear lesser option.

And of course, they clearly need more quality DBs. Sure would be nice if they filled RDE in the 1st Round, but it seems like 1st Round Talent at that position isn't as heavy.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not the biggest shock. I'd rather them not take a WR in the 1st Round, but it just might be the clear cut BPA. You can argue then a potential trade down, but let's just say the trade down isn't there. I'd rather Dallas have a killer WR trio than take the clear lesser option.

And of course, they clearly need more quality DBs. Sure would be nice if they filled RDE in the 1st Round, but it seems like 1st Round Talent at that position isn't as heavy.
So, you're saying we should take JG Dobbins in the 1st?

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'd only make Dobbins the pick if they can trade Zeke before the draft.

Kwyn

Reaction score

I understand what your saying and agree to a large extent.

One hing I think many posters (not you) just seem to assume is that there’s some generational wide receiver that is going to slide to 17

All things being equal, there will be several players available at 17 thst are all of comparable ability.

When that’s the case, you go defense.

For those that believe some insane Julio Jones calibre wide receiver is going to magically come out from behind the curtain, well maybe the next Stephon Gilmore will be there at 17!

So guys, Stephon Gilmore or Julio Jones?

Which do we need more?

See, it’s silly, but when those who are addicted to flash and “skill” advocate for their cause, every WR is Julio Jones and every CB is Dwayne Goodrich. That “flash” mentality is the old Jerry, the one thrust desperately wanted to draft Johnny Football but was “talked into” Zack Martin.

let’s take the best player available but unless that player is Jerry Rice, let’s stick to the defensive side of the ball this draft. Please.

Thomas82

Reaction score
If Kinlaw is not there then I am all favor of drafting Lamb or Jeudy. Offense would be lethal

I don't know if Kinlaw will be there, but I believe that either Lamb or Jeudy will be.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I doubt Ruggs or Henderson will be available, but if one were ....yes!

I got a feeling Henderson will be there....He looked great in the underwear olympics a few weeks back....But if you watch his game tape....You see Mike Jenkins 2.0. He wants nothing to do w/ tackling. Not sure how that's gonna fly w/ McCarthy.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I haven’t seen a mock yet they had any of the three at 17

almost every mock has both Raiders and Niners taking WR ahead of us and some have Denver and Jacksonville going WR. 9 is too high for any of them so I think they Jags will pass

so, Raiders/Niners take Jeudy/Lamb and Vroncos decide on whether to take Ruggs.

Kinlaw seems to be gone before 17 on every board

There’s a small chance Ruggs is there at 17 but as long as he doesn’t slide to the Eagles at 21, I don’t care. They’ll take Jefferson if Ruggs is gone.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I got a feeling Henderson will be there....He looked great in the underwear olympics a few weeks back....But if you watch his game tape....You see Mike Jenkins 2.0. He wants nothing to do w/ tackling. Not sure how that's gonna fly w/ McCarthy.
I like Fulton over Henderson, but you’re right about the underwear olympics. His combine was solid.

fulton can play

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I'd rather a receiver, almost any receiver, before Henderson.

Also, if it's WR or CB or bust, I don't know *** their plan at DE is.

I'm guessing Miller forgot that we have a huge, tremendous, gaping hole at RDE, or he thinks Chaisson will be long gone.

I don't see how he gets past the Jets...they are desperate for OLB/DE help. I know everyone keeps pencilling the Jets for O-line...or WR....but I just don't see it.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Stupid ideas can be entertaining at times, so here's one for you.

If the top three CB's are gone before our pick do we trade our first to Miami for Byron Jones?

And take back that 5year-82 million dollar Dolphin regret? LOL...:lmao:

Not sure what's worse....that contract... or the idea of giving away our #1 pick for a player we could have kept.

RoyTheHammer

Reaction score
Henderson, Ruggs, Kinlaw if there. If not..I'd look for a trade back towards the end of the 1st and take Delpit, McKinney, Fulton.

Silverstar

Reaction score
Way too small to play DE, I’m not interested in him at all

Another factor I think Chaisson's arm length and wingspan are less than ideal to play the EDGE in general at 32 1/4 and 79 1/4. You would normally like someone with a better reach and especially going against LT's all game. The idea being sometimes just touching the QB can make him throw a bad pass etc.

In comparison...

Aldon Smith - 35 3/8 and 83 7/8 :eek:
Dorance Armstrong - 34 3/4 and 83
Jalen Jelks - 34 5/8 and 83
Joe Jackson - 34 1/8 and 80
Randy Gregory - 34 and 81 7/8
Tyrone Crawford - 33 3/4 and 80
DLaw - 33 1/4 and 81

Other draft prospects...

Yetur Gross-Matos - 34 7/8 and 82 1/4
A.J. Epenesa - 34 1/2 and 81 1/4
Terrell Lewis - 33 7/8 and 83 3/8