Bleaker Times Are Ahead

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
So long as hiring of players and coaches requires that it needs to fill some ambiguous requirement that Jerry has to be comfortable it will continue to be bleak

Sydla

Reaction score
I knew I’d flush you out and expose you.

Thanks for not disappointing.

:thumbup:

He's not wrong here though. Philly is a questionable example. I'd gladly swallow a end of season meltdown if it meant we could make a couple of SBs in a 6 year stretch.

And let's be quite clear, they melted down and yet accomplished the exact same thing we did in the postseason - got our ***** handed to us in the first round.

Philly is just a better run franchise at this point, even with their flaws and their late season meltdown. It's up to Jerry to change that starting right now (frankly, I still believe he should have blown this thing up and that was the best path forward, but alas.............) How much confidence do you have in that?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He's not wrong here though. Philly is a questionable example. I'd gladly swallow a end of season meltdown if it meant we could make a couple of SBs in a 6 year stretch.

And let's be quite clear, they melted down and yet accomplished the exact same thing we did in the postseason - got our ***** handed to us in the first round.
And they fired both coordinators.

And they still have tons of well-established internal turmoil.

And they’re looking to ship multiple players out the door.

And they stumbled for two months, while we stumbled in one game.

Our situation is bad, theirs is worse.

Philly is just a better run franchise at this point, even with their flaws and their late season meltdown. It's up to Jerry to change that starting right now (frankly, I still believe he should have blown this thing up and that was the best path forward, but alas.............) How much confidence do you have in that?
All evidence to the contrary. After their amazing start, they showed that they were nothing more than a house of cards that collapsed under the first sign of adversity.

Sydla

Reaction score
And they fired both coordinators.

And they still have tons of well-established internal turmoil.

And they’re looking to ship multiple players out the door.

And they stumbled for two months, while we stumbled in one game.

Our situation is bad, theirs is worse.

All evidence to the contrary. After their amazing start, they showed that they were nothing more than a house of cards that collapsed under the first sign of adversity.

You have Cowboys blinders on. At the end of the day, our seasons both ended the same way - getting butt raced in the first round. Trying to plant the flag as us having been wildly more successful than them is kind of funny.

And we have our own internal issues. Or are you ignoring those?

PS - The fact they fired both coordinators and we basically would have kept both if Quinn hadn't gotten a new gig isn't the big win you think it is. It shows they knew something was wrong and tried to fix it. Jerry wanted to run it back with the same crew. Remember his claiming of accountability? LOL. He fired no one.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You have Cowboys blinders on. At the end of the day, our seasons both ended the same way - getting butt raced in the first round. Trying to plant the flag as us having been wildly more successful than them is kind of funny.

And we have our own internal issues. Or are you ignoring those?

PS - The fact they fired both coordinators and we basically would have kept both if Quinn hadn't gotten a new gig isn't the big win you think it is. It shows they knew something was wrong and tried to fix it. Jerry wanted to run it back with the same crew. Remember his claiming of accountability? LOL. He fired no one.
And apparently that’s all that you want to fixate on. ‘Both teams lost in the playoffs’ while trying to willfully ignore everything else.

Don’t talk to me about “blinders”, check your own.

I’m not saying Dallas’ situation is great, I’m saying theirs is worse. And it has nothing to do with one playoff game that you’re fixated on.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Even though we get dumped in the playoffs, or don't make the playoffs when we could have (no thanks to Garrett) there used to be a little excitement going into the off-season.
We had many draft picks to improve. Had some what a solid roster to improve.

But last off-season, and even more this off-season, I have not felt that way.
There is nothing to get excited about or to look forward to. Only hope they can somehow improve. And my confidence of that has dwindled.

Maybe by some miracle things will change. I am just in a wait and see mode. Going to be a long next 30 days until FA starts.
At least in a few weeks the NFL Combine starts.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Man why are you still here? The team is doomed for the next 4-5 years if we believe you. I agree we are facing some serious challenges but things are nowhere close to being as bad as your threads/posts want us to believe. I want a Super Bowl just as bad, hell, we all do, but like Bob Haze just pointed out in another thread, it takes sooo much more than JUST a good/elite QB.
The OP thinks Dak, CeeDee, and Micah are the problem. I don’t understand why he is a Cowboys fan. The Texans are the perfect team for him to cheer for. They fit his criteria.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Only thing I agree with on that list is 4- that “all in “ is likely bs

Sydla

Reaction score
And apparently that’s all that you want to fixate on. ‘Both teams lost in the playoffs’ while trying to willfully ignore everything else.

Don’t talk to me about “blinders”, check your own.

I’m not saying Dallas’ situation is great, I’m saying theirs is worse. And it has nothing to do with one playoff game that you’re fixated on.
It's not willfully ignoring anything. But at the end of the day, the playoffs are all that matters, especially for this franchise that has been a stone cold disaster in the postseason for two and a half decades. We won the division by a game and that's even after Philly fell apart at the end of the year losing 3 of their last four games, 5 of their last 6. And we had a home playoff game against a lower seeded team and got smoked, they got beat up on the road. There is hardly any difference in the overall results of both our seasons.

People talked about the demise in Philly after their 2017 SB run and then that bad season under Pederson that got him fired. And then magically a few years later there they are back in the SB.

They are far more likely to get out from their issues than we are at this point. History shows us that. It's not about talking about how great Philly is. It's pointing out that they have simply been way more successful than us whether you look at the last 5-6 years or even the last 20.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
This will be another "lost" season, and I've already come to terms with that reality. Every indicator that we've seen points to that. Jerry even went and got one of his guys, in case Mike's stay here is shorter than anticipated and he's shown the door like Wade.

I can't remember a team this unlikeable in all my years. Just a team of rock stars, entrepreneurs, and celebrities that have never won a damn thing. It would be really cool to fail at my career over and over again and be rewarded for it.
Wade+Jason = Mike+Mike same movies

khiladi

Reaction score
Calling it now!

12-5 and a first round playoff defeat.
I think it’s going to be worse honestly.

We have questions on the left-side of the line and the running game got worse.

They had to change the offense mid-season and teams figured it out eventually. How much can you get away with, by dumbing it down even more? The Packers were not a great defense.

And the Eagles had horrible coaching, which at least they rectified. And the Commanders got a DC who is very familiar with the cowboys and are supposedly going all in for the number 1 pick, meaning new QB.

ICP

Reaction score
Yah. The FO has — as usual— taken a bad situation and made it worse.

He screwed the team when he kept MM as a HC

He screwed MM as a HC when he made him a lame duck

He screwed the future when he paid Dak a bajillion dollars

And he has screwed the culture up by maintaining the status quo at GM despite 28 failures in a row.

Bleaker times ahead? Things have been bleak for a long time my friend. We are nearing an epic meltdown.

Should we struggle early next year, I think the wheels come off. Locker room issues, intense media hate, a mid season firing… gonna be awesome

And with Dak’s gimungous new extension sure to be signed, Jerry will have screwed us for at least another 4-5 years
And yet the fans will still go and fill ALL the seats and buy tons of merchandise. These are the things that need to stop if this front office is ever going to change the way it operates.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not willfully ignoring anything.
All evidence to the contrary.

But at the end of the day, the playoffs are all that matters, especially for this franchise that has been a stone cold disaster in the postseason for two and a half decades.
And as you said, both teams looked terrible in their only playoff game.

But which team also looked terrible for two months leading up to it?

People said the same thing about Philly after their 2017 SB run and then that bad season under Pederson that got him fired. And then magically a few years later there they are back in the SB.

They are far more likely to get out from their issues than we are at this point. History shows us that.
And yet they completely collapsed this season?

What they’re “far more likely” to do is to remain who they are and who’ve they’ve most recently shown themselves to be.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
1. The Mike Zimmer hire is worrisome. I firmly believe that Zimmer will now be our next head coach and that can’t have anyone excited. He fits everything Jerry looks for in a head coach AND he’s a Jerry guy.

2. The attitudes of our “stars” don’t instill confidence. Micah goes out of his way to praise opponents and throw teammates under the bus while CeeDee is talking about “millions and TDs” instead of winning.

3. We’re going to be 3 huge contracts and bargain bin everything else. Dak, Micah, and CeeDee are all going to get so much money and take up so much space that it’s going to take getting lucky and hitting on draft picks and cheap FA vets that over perform. Does anyone have faith that we have the leadership to hit on everything? I don’t.

4. The “all in” talk is BS. It was only said to keep interest after the embarrassing end of the season. It will be business as usual this offseason and everyone knows it.

5. Drama abound in the locker room. Players and family members calling each other out and throwing each other under the bus. They can pretend everything is all hunky dory but it’s not. Thats obvious. I expect this to just get worse if things aren’t going well on the field.

6. A lame duck head coach that just watched his replacement get hired can’t be good for the vibe. McCarthy is probably just as shocked as anyone that he’s still the coach right now, but he knows this is it. I feel like this will be nothing more than a going through the motions type of season for him. Thats exciting, huh?

Does anyone honestly look at the next 5 or so years for the Cowboys and see success?
I don't look for any Playoff success as long as we don't have a professional GM.
I have not felt such a negative off season mood here in quite sometime.
I think many fans are starting to see we are doomed as long as Jerry is calling the shots.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
And Jerry or his offspring will own this team after we're dead so 12 and 5 making the playoffs that's as Good as it gets.
We will do enough to stay relevant and make Jerry money.
But we won't do the things to get to the super bowl we won't be active in free agency to the point where it makes a difference we won't make a big splash at the trade deadline we will continue to tolerate Jerry's gambling fix with the second round of the draft garnering injured players mental midgets and other players that we just don't need like tight ends.

Jerry and his offspring will make money the team will be relevant and we will never win another super bowl while we are above ground.
I am younger than Jerry, so I have hope that once he has moved on things will get better.
At least there is the potential for new direction.