Bledsoe: Sacks and Options

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Me thinks you're right. :)
Yeah, and me thinks that "absconds" goof was Freudian.

Whether it was re Jerry's paychecks or Henson's job, further analysis of Winicki slips will tell. ;)

dwmyers

Reaction score
parchy said:
I mean there comes a time when you have to stop blaming the line... the Buffalo line wasn't terrific but these guys were professionals... Jonas Jennings.

I live in Georgia, but my strongest memory of Jonas Jennings was watching Kris Jenkins toss him around like a toy in the Senior Bowl.

Thinking about him as a lynchpin of any line just makes me shudder.

David.

kartr

Reaction score
Hostile said:
Jumping in here. Pedigree can mean a lot of things besides draft position. Tom Brady has pedigree because he went to a school that lately has had success turning out NFL QBs. That is pedigree. He was a 6th round draft pick.

Phil Simms (3rd rounder) has pedigree because his family has succeeded at the position. Same with the Mannings.

Drew Henson and Tony Romo have pedigree because their fathers were coaches.

Joe Montana had pedigree because he came out of a college that at the time was producing some decent QBs.

Does pedigree always hold? No, of course not. Gino Torreta had pedigree. Ken Dorsey does. I doubt either will ever follow in the Miami traditions of Kelly and Testaverde.

I'll still put my money on pedigree more times than not. However, it does pay to listen to scouts who doubt QBs. It is the most scrutinized position in any sport. It always will be.

I'm not a Bledsoe guy by any wild stretch, and I think he is less than what we need, but some outlooks on him border on outright nonsense. This is awfully close. Do I think he's regressing? Yes, I do and as such I wouldn't have gambled on him as much. But "disappointing failure?" That's a stretch.

To a point, I agree with this. Just once before I die I'd like to see one of you Q apologists admit that the support from the defense mattered a lot. I believe I'll faint on the spot.

His detractors are so many because his supporters were so in your face about him. Dead serious about that. You wanna know why people dislike him so much look no further than his staunchest supporters.

Sorry, I just totally disagree. There is nothing classy about the way he left this team. Nothing tough about it. It is an insult to "heart" to say this. Did he give his best? Yes, I think he did. That doesn't get you the highest accolades in football. No sir.

This and 50 cents will buy you a can of pop.

He might. No doubt about it.

Pedigree is nothing but elitist hog-wash because no one really knows what a franchise qb really is. A friend of mine who used to swear by pocket qb's told me when McNabb was first drafted, that he didn't see what the big deal was, he said McNabb was just another version of Kordell Stewart. I said why do you think that. He couldn't really give me a answer, so I knew he was just stereotyping.

On that magnificent defense, where was it against Fie,fi fo Fiedler on Thanksgiving Day. Carter threw for 288 yards and 2 tds with no running game and no defense to speak of. The crappy ol allowed Ogunleye to push them into Carter in the backfield causing a fumble. Where was that defense against the Eagles in the second game. That defense was only good against suspect offenses, but Carter put up big yardage against the defenses of the Dolphins,Patriots and Saints(top 10 against the pass). So maybe helped the defense out a little by keeping them off the field. Think about it, the Cowboys were one of the top time of possession teams without a genuine featured runningback. How can you give the defense credit for that.

Carter didn't ask to leave the team and according to NFL rules shouldn't have been asked to leave by the Cowboys. This is hypercritical when drunks like Griese and Collins and Leonard Little are allowed to continue playing. Even presidents of the country can try drugs in their twenties, but a football player can't.

kartr

Reaction score
JDSmith said:
Quincy has drug problems. He missed his team's playoff games because of those drug problems. Nobody is going to want to take that kind of risk on a guy who's been a middling QB to this point. He's got potential, but he's also got demons - and the demons have shown more thus far than the potential. Why are we still talking about Quincy at this point? We're 2 QBs removed from QC.

What's the risk when Grossman and Hutch are your 1st and 2nd stringers?
What's the risk when Bledsoe and Henson are your 1st and 2nd stringers?
What's the risk when Collins and Tuiosopo are your 1st and 2nd stringers?
What's the risk when Ferotte and Feely are your 1st and 2nd stringers?
What's the risk when Harrington and Garcia(whom Carter has 2-0 record against are your first and 2nd stringers.

Point being, If you aint got spit anyway, why not take a flyer on a guy who has been to the playoffs recently. You wouldn't be asking him to be the starter right away, but if the other Bozo's you've got falter, and your job is on the line,see Jon Gruden, what have you got to lose.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
kartr said:
Pedigree is nothing but elitist hog-wash because no one really knows what a franchise qb really is. A friend of mine who used to swear by pocket qb's told me when McNabb was first drafted, that he didn't see what the big deal was, he said McNabb was just another version of Kordell Stewart. I said why do you think that. He couldn't really give me a answer, so I knew he was just stereotyping.

And YOU'RE not stereotyping by attributing your friends's shallowness to posters here? Give us credit for being able to assess each player as an individual.

Carter didn't ask to leave the team and according to NFL rules shouldn't have been asked to leave by the Cowboys.
This is hypercritical when drunks like Griese and Collins and Leonard Little are allowed to continue playing. Even presidents of the country can try drugs in their twenties, but a football player can't.

Bottom line is if Q had stayed straight, he'd still be here.

No, the owner and coach decided the inability or refusal to pass drug tests indicated a critical lack of discipline and responsibility, and wisely they surmised Q would hurt them down the line, as he did the Jets when he disappeared in the playoffs.

If it were just about Carter, I think both Bill and Jerry had enough fondness for him to see him through his addiction. But they have 52 other players, and millions of fans to be accountable for as well.

Carter only had to be accountable for his own behavior, and he wasn't.

There is only ONE person at fault for Quincy Carter's plight, and that is Quincy Carter. He had the opportunity not just to be the QB on the world's most renowned football franchise, but he was being developed by a future HOF coach, a coach who treated him like a son (as Q himself said), and who spent an entire year near the end of his career on someone who turned out to be an ingrate.

A year better spent on a young QB who at least deserves it, like Henson or Romo or Hutch.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
There is only ONE person at fault for Quincy Carter's plight, and that is Quincy Carter. He had the opportunity not just to be the QB on the world's most renowned football franchise, but he was being developed by a future HOF coach, a coach who treated him like a son (as Q himself said), and who spent an entire year near the end of his career on someone who turned out to be an ingrate.
Well said.

Why Quincy Carter remains an issue amongst the Cowboy faithful blows my mind. A dead horse can only be beaten for so long. :confused:

jimmy40

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Nice burmafed...

You laid out a nice scenario that gives Bledsoe all the credit if he succeeds and absconds him from blame if he fails. Actually that fits right in with the Bledsoe MO.
I think burmafed is Bledsoe. ;)

jimmy40

Reaction score
kmd24 said:
All this negativity towards Bledsoe is in the same vein as the negativity towards Roy Williams and his mediocre coverage skills (and I am not equating Bledsoe's ability to RW's before anyone goes there). However, most fans are completely comfortable with suggesting that Roy be put in a position (back to SS) where he will succeed. Why can't the same courtesy be extended to Bledsoe?
What position are you going to move Bledsoe to?

jimmy40

Reaction score
Zaxor said:
To me it is like this....

If this team is SB ready and Bledsoe does not deliver he is a bust for the Cowboys...

If this team is not SB ready than they really need to play the young ones so they will be ready when we are...

I am not at all interested in just being competitive...I want it all:D
Maybe the best post I've ever read.

gbrittain

Reaction score
parchy said:
Bledsoe was sacked seven times in one game against the Raiders last year... that pretty much tells you all you need to know.

I am hardly a Bledsoe defender, but did not Aikman get sacked something like 11 times before in one game in 1991?

He went on to win 3 Superbowls, so I would not put a lot of stock into one game in which a QB got sacked seven times.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
gbrittain said:
I am hardly a Bledsoe defender, but did not Aikman get sacked something like 11 times before in one game in 1991?

He went on to win 3 Superbowls, so I would not put a lot of stock into one game in which a QB got sacked seven times.
Most Times Sacked, Game
12 Bert Jones, Baltimore vs. St. Louis, Oct. 26, 1980
Warren Moon, Houston vs. Dallas, Sept. 29, 1985
11 Charley Johnson, St. Louis vs. N.Y. Giants, Nov. 1, 1964
Bart Starr, Green Bay vs. Detroit, Nov. 7, 1965
Jack Kemp, Buffalo vs. Oakland, Oct. 15, 1967
Bob Berry, Atlanta vs. St. Louis, Nov. 24, 1968
Greg Landry, Detroit vs. Dallas, Oct. 6, 1975
Ron Jaworski, Philadelphia vs. St. Louis, Dec. 18, 1983
Paul McDonald, Cleveland vs. Kansas City, Sept. 30, 1984
Archie Manning, Minnesota vs. Chicago, Oct. 28, 1984
Steve Pelluer, Dallas vs. San Diego, Nov. 16, 1986
Randall Cunningham, Philadelphia vs. L.A. Raiders, Nov. 30, 1986 (OT)
David Norrie, N.Y. Jets vs. Dallas, Oct. 4, 1987
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 15, 1991
Bernie Kosar, Cleveland vs. Indianapolis, Sept. 6, 1992

gbrittain

Reaction score
DallasEast said:
Most Times Sacked, Game
12 Bert Jones, Baltimore vs. St. Louis, Oct. 26, 1980
Warren Moon, Houston vs. Dallas, Sept. 29, 1985
11 Charley Johnson, St. Louis vs. N.Y. Giants, Nov. 1, 1964
Bart Starr, Green Bay vs. Detroit, Nov. 7, 1965
Jack Kemp, Buffalo vs. Oakland, Oct. 15, 1967
Bob Berry, Atlanta vs. St. Louis, Nov. 24, 1968
Greg Landry, Detroit vs. Dallas, Oct. 6, 1975
Ron Jaworski, Philadelphia vs. St. Louis, Dec. 18, 1983
Paul McDonald, Cleveland vs. Kansas City, Sept. 30, 1984
Archie Manning, Minnesota vs. Chicago, Oct. 28, 1984
Steve Pelluer, Dallas vs. San Diego, Nov. 16, 1986
Randall Cunningham, Philadelphia vs. L.A. Raiders, Nov. 30, 1986 (OT)
David Norrie, N.Y. Jets vs. Dallas, Oct. 4, 1987
Troy Aikman, Dallas vs. Philadelphia, Sept. 15, 1991
Bernie Kosar, Cleveland vs. Indianapolis, Sept. 6, 1992

Good list there DallasEast!

Yeah, I dont think getting sacked seven times in one game is good indicator of anything.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
kartr said:
What's the risk when Harrington and Garcia(whom Carter has 2-0 record against are your first and 2nd stringers.

Point being, If you aint got spit anyway, why not take a flyer on a guy who has been to the playoffs recently. You wouldn't be asking him to be the starter right away, but if the other Bozo's you've got falter, and your job is on the line,see Jon Gruden, what have you got to lose.

The lockerroom is at risk. Team chemistry.

And, how many times does this need to be said: Dallas didn't go to the playoffs in 2003 because of your boy Quincy... they got there in spite of his shoddy quarterbacking. We got to the playoffs because of defense.

The fact that all those teams need QB's and none of them has called Carter should tell you something... His skills aren't good enough for anyone to deal with the hassle of his drug problem.

You're blind to that though and I'm not sure why. You spend hours digging up or making up stats to make it look like Quincy is adequate as a Qb... which we all know just ain't so. I don't know why you do it... but I wish you'd just come out with your agenda and be done with it.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
kartr said:

Seriously man Quincy is gone, hes garbage, and will never be back. Its time to move on. Every QB on our team would beat out Q in camp