Blockbuster draft day trade rumblings

locked&loaded

Reaction score
You are right...I guess we can talk of the virtues of crapping our pants and vomiting at the same time over the topic if it came to fruition...I guess that would not be airing our grievances more than saying I wish draft would get here.

Whatever.

thank you.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
thank you.

The original OP contains DRAFT DAY. The person said the DRAFT can not get here soon enough.

It was just as on topic as your poop pants filled post was and a HECK of a lot more realistic than drafting one guy and trading Tony this year.

Thank You.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
It's simple. Jerry drafts Johnny, Johnny sits this year. Romo calls it quits next year.

Simple.

DFWJC

Reaction score
It's simple. Jerry drafts Johnny, Johnny sits this year. Romo calls it quits next year.

Simple.

If doctors said Romo could no longer play, that would be realistic. But I bet the guy plays (in Dallas or elsewhere) for at least 3-4 more years)

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
the interesting thing about this draft is that every single so called top pick seems to have warts of some kind. Except maybe the two top tackles. But Clowney is considered lazy; the qbs are all over the place; the WRs are not exactly over whelming; there are no so called great CBs (Claiborne was higher rated then any this year); RBs are no longer that important and none that great anyway; no monster DTs like Suh; LBs are mostly pedestrian; no great safety prospects. so it is going to come down to which teams over project who.

Actually, I think this is the best class of WRs I've seen in years. Mayve ever but that's kind of the problem I think. There are so many of them that everybody is kinda thinking they can get one later. However, the top WRs, IMO, are every bit as good as any in recent memory from a potential point of view. JMO

ceerrece

Reaction score
There is no possibility that Manziel ends up in Dallas, unless he falls to 16th, wich is very unlikely... i'm feeling Jax selects him, if not, TB or Minnesota.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I've felt like Philly would be the best possible fit for Manziel since they hired Chip Kelly from Oregon. I seriously think they could have a chance to win a championship with him in that offense. JMO.

ceerrece

Reaction score
All the rumours that we are hearing are bait to see the value of the picks and the possible suitors.... but hey, they're interesting!

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The new one by LaCanfora right now has the Rams unloading Bradford on the Vikings and drafting Manziel.

Two problems with this. One being why would the Vikings be willing to trade for Bradford? Second, it is LaCanfora, the king of being inaccurate second only to Ian Rapoport.

JackWagon

Reaction score
i think if he gets past Tampa .. jerry cant control himself and freaks out and gives up the farm to go get him.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The new one by LaCanfora right now has the Rams unloading Bradford on the Vikings and drafting Manziel.

Two problems with this. One being why would the Vikings be willing to trade for Bradford? Second, it is LaCanfora, the king of being inaccurate second only to Ian Rapoport.

So we got manziel being drafted by the Cowboys and the Rams while both teams are trading their current starters to draft him.

I knew Johnny Football got around but good grief.

I will be glad when the draft gets here and Manziel is finally drafted...even if it means by us...just to end this idiotic crap the cap hits be damned and trading away starting QBs like it is monopoly money.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score

Simple.

Its not as simple as you make it sound.

1st.......After 2 restructures, we have converted a boat load of base salary to bonus for Romo. If we release/trade Romo after this season it will be around a $32 million cap penalty.

2nd.....If Romo calls it quits due to injury and retires, we are screwed. Romo's agent was not dumb, Romo's extension is guaranteed against injury. If Romo has to retire due to health reasons, we are still on the hook for $50 to $60 million of his guaranteed portion of his contract and all of that would prorate into next years salary cap and hence, the $32 million dollar cap penalty would still apply.

Like I said, Romo's agent is not dumb. He knows he has an older QB and the team might be looking elsewhere so Romo's contract was structured in a way that makes in financially impossible for the Cowboys to get rid of Romo over the next 3 seasons. Mickey Spagnola calls it an "iron clad 3 yr deal" even though the extension was for 6 yrs.

Romo will be on this team for the next 3 years regardless of whatever happens in the draft. Now this does not mean that will not draft another QB, but everybody has to realize that a new QB is either going to ride the pine a hell of a long time or we are going to have a backup QB making $20+ million per season with most of it guaranteed.

Aggie87

Reaction score

Two problems with this. One being why would the Vikings be willing to trade for Bradford?

I could see that happening. Bradford is probably better than any QB on the current Vikes roster. So if they can get him for maybe a 3rd round draft pick, they can try him out for a year. If he doesn't work out, then they can try to draft a Mariota or someone next year.

That would let the Rams draft Manziel (or whoever), and move onward. Maybe they've realized that Bradford won't take them any further than they've already gone with him.

Western

Reaction score
Its not as simple as you make it sound.

1st.......After 2 restructures, we have converted a boat load of base salary to bonus for Romo. If we release/trade Romo after this season it will be around a $32 million cap penalty.

2nd.....If Romo calls it quits due to injury and retires, we are screwed. Romo's agent was not dumb, Romo's extension is guaranteed against injury. If Romo has to retire due to health reasons, we are still on the hook for $50 to $60 million of his guaranteed portion of his contract and all of that would prorate into next years salary cap and hence, the $32 million dollar cap penalty would still apply.

Like I said, Romo's agent is not dumb. He knows he has an older QB and the team might be looking elsewhere so Romo's contract was structured in a way that makes in financially impossible for the Cowboys to get rid of Romo over the next 3 seasons. Mickey Spagnola calls it an "iron clad 3 yr deal" even though the extension was for 6 yrs.

Romo will be on this team for the next 3 years regardless of whatever happens in the draft. Now this does not mean that will not draft another QB, but everybody has to realize that a new QB is either going to ride the pine a hell of a long time or we are going to have a backup QB making $20+ million per season with most of it guaranteed.

The team could simply renegotiate Romo's current contract (with a renegotiated contract, find a trade partner if Team Romo 'thinks' he has 2 to 3 years of productive play and move him).
Team Romo would have to agree to the proposed pay cut, however.
A renegotiated Romo contract (with a reduced salary) could alleviate some of the concerns.

Romo has the upper hand in that he does not have to agree to a renegotiated contract.
On the other hand, if Romo's performance deteriorates, the team similar to its dealings with D. Free, could demand a reduced salary.
Even with the bad contract, the team does have some options albeit limited ones.

Without competition at the QB position, Romo's bad/terrible contract (along with his age & reoccurring health issues) hurts the overall team and prevents the quality rebuilding of the roster.
If Team Romo does not want to renegotiate, then bench him & move on.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
The team could simply renegotiate Romo's current contract (with a renegotiated contract, find a trade partner if Team Romo 'thinks' he has 2 to 3 years of productive play and move him).
Team Romo would have to agree to the proposed pay cut, however.
A renegotiated Romo contract (with a reduced salary) could alleviate some of the concerns.

Romo has the upper hand in that he does not have to agree to a renegotiated contract.
On the other hand, if Romo's performance deteriorates, the team similar to its dealings with D. Free, could demand a reduced salary.
Even with the bad contract, the team does have some options albeit limited ones.

Without competition at the QB position, Romo's bad/terrible contract (along with his age & reoccurring health issues) hurts the overall team and prevents the quality rebuilding of the roster.
If Team Romo does not want to renegotiate, then bench him & move on.

I think if Romo's play deteriorated to the point he was hurting the team, I think he would do the right thing and renegotiate his contract with the team and allow them to move on to somebody else.

You are 100% correct in that a renegotiated contract would have to happen. I was speaking of the cap penalties in terms of his current contract.