Blocking scheme and OL’s mediocre run blocking is the main problem in run game, not RB’s!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
What are some of you watching?

Last year Pollard led the entire NFL in yards per carry. The last 2 weeks he has looked quick, fast and strong. Back to his old self. Some of you are calling him a scrub and not a Bell Cow. If you are calling him a scrub, you are clueless and want attention. If you are saying he is not a Bell Cow that is reasonable, but SO what if he is not a Bell Cow. Most teams in today’s NFL do not have a Bell Cow back. Most teams use 2-3 backs to carry the load. Pollard and Dowdle can get the job done if there is a little blocking. Dowdle is a good complimentary back. He runs extremely hard! Also, Pollard has always been good inside the tackles.

I can understand wanting a bigger back in short yardage or a little more power. I think Dowdle should be given a few carries at the goal line.

Bottom line: Every running back needs blocking. Pollard has not been getting good enough blocking because of the scheme and the O line.

Finally: on 3rd or 4th and 1, or less, we need to relia on the QB sneak 90% of the time. We have 2 guards way above average, and a big strong QB. Biadaz needs to work on getting low and driving forward. Tom Brady, without the Tush Push made over 90% of his QB sneaks! I do think we need our backs pushing Dak from behind though.

On Thanksgiving all 3 losing teams failed to convert on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. Non tried the QB sneak!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I guess we need to sneak it more with the QB and not rely on running a RB up the middle to get us a first down because it's working!!!!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I hear what you're saying on the bashing of Pollard, there's a huge notice in drop off in PUSH from the offensive line. As a former offensive lineman, we're not pushing anyone it seems, there's no lanes, there's nothing for pollard to run through. The best Pollard can do is lower his shoulder, there's guys coming at him as soon as he gets to the line!

Creeper

Reaction score
I admit I have not done extensive analysis of this but after watching the Seahawks game a couple of times focusing on the run game, I am wondering if the problem is more than just the OL not creating any holes to run through. There were several plays I saw designed to go to the left, but it looked like room opened up on the right. Pollard and Rico just ran into the pile when they could have cut back to the left where there was more room. I am not say they would go for 40 yards, but they could have gotten 5 instead of 0 or -1.

Again, I am not saying this is the only problem with the run game. There are more. Terence Steele when he pulls to his left, instead of driving into the hole and blowing out the DE or DT, he kind of throws a soft block and gets no movement. The guy who pulls has to come with great force and momentum and drive the defenders out of the hole. A 300 lb lineman running full speed bring a lot of force but Steele seems to soften the blow instead of bulldozing his way into the hole. When I played OL in high school if I pulled like that my coach would have kicked me in the pants then made me run laps until my feet bled.

Then, and I am not sure is this was by design, I saw a couple of plays where Luepke at FB drove into the right side of the line and Pollard went left. Not sure why he didn't follow the FB. On one play there was a hole where Luepke ran into but Pollard went in the opposite direction as soon as he took the snap and he got tackled for a loss. I love running behind a FB but the RB has to get behind the FB and use him as interference. Again I am not talking about getting an extra 20 or 30 yards, but perhaps the difference is 7 yards instead of 0. And btw, Luepke is not a great blocking FB in the run game. He does okay but he does not hold his blocks very long.

At the same time it is hard to complain about the offense when they march up and down the field at will. Still, in the red zone it would be good to have a decent running game to keep the defense honest at least.

rambo2

Reaction score

Last year Pollard led the entire NFL in yards per carry. The last 2 weeks he has looked quick, fast and strong. Back to his old self. Some of you are calling him a scrub and not a Bell Cow. If you are calling him a scrub, you are clueless and want attention. If you are saying he is not a Bell Cow that is reasonable, but SO what if he is not a Bell Cow. Most teams in today’s NFL do not have a Bell Cow back. Most teams use 2-3 backs to carry the load. Pollard and Dowdle can get the job done if there is a little blocking. Dowdle is a good complimentary back. He runs extremely hard! Also, Pollard has always been good inside the tackles.

I can understand wanting a bigger back in short yardage or a little more power. I think Dowdle should be given a few carries at the goal line.

Bottom line: Every running back needs blocking. Pollard has not been getting good enough blocking because of the scheme and the O line.

Finally: on 3rd or 4th and 1, or less, we need to relia on the QB sneak 90% of the time. We have 2 guards way above average, and a big strong QB. Biadaz needs to work on getting low and driving forward. Tom Brady, without the Tush Push made over 90% of his QB sneaks! I do think we need our backs pushing Dak from behind though.

On Thanksgiving all 3 losing teams failed to convert on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. Non tried the QB sneak!
One thing, they will start running the quick pitch again when they need it. I don't think they ran that at all against the Seahawks.

I think they also will give Luepke carries at running back also. Maybe against Philly or the Bills.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The running game is a little sketchy, that is why I'm liking Dak taking off when he sees the opportunity.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I hear what you're saying on the bashing of Pollard, there's a huge notice in drop off in PUSH from the offensive line. As a former offensive lineman, we're not pushing anyone it seems, there's no lanes, there's nothing for pollard to run through. The best Pollard can do is lower his shoulder, there's guys coming at him as soon as he gets to the line!
It surprises me so many fans commenting on this site do not see what you and I are seeing. To often there are no lanes to run through at the LOS!

817Gill

Reaction score

My man I’ll die on this hill with you! Seems so obvious to me, clamoring for Derrick Henry doesn’t make sense when we can’t open lanes. He’d be in the same situation.

817Gill

Reaction score
It’s a combo, Pollard isn’t breaking anything when he does get into open field. He was even run down from behind earlier this season
At that point we’re looking at a 6+ yard gain. The issue is guys in the backfield or the line not moving and us running for 1-3 yards only.

Once he’s in the open field it’s already deemed a successful run.

Loso86

Reaction score

Soooo then last year it wasn't the backs right it was the line and scheme.....?

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Soooo then last year it wasn't the backs right it was the line and scheme.....?
Yes! The scheme and the line helped Pollard have the best yards per carry average in the league.

Pollard is very good, but he and all other running backs, need blocking. Last year the scheme and blocking were better and Pollard did better. This year the blocking and scheme have not been near as good and Pollard is not averaging as many yards per carry.
It’s simple all RB’s need blocking!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
they're just ready to write players off
I would suggest to fans. If you don’t know what you are talking about it is best to stay silent. If you write something and don’t know what you are talking about everyone sees it. It’s not a good look.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
At that point we’re looking at a 6+ yard gain. The issue is guys in the backfield or the line not moving and us running for 1-3 yards only.

Once he’s in the open field it’s already deemed a successful run.
Good point!

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s a combo, Pollard isn’t breaking anything when he does get into open field. He was even run down from behind earlier this season
This.
:hammer:

To blame it on ALL 5 linemen is just as foolish as thinking that a RB doesn’t need blocking.

He has lost a step. He’s not breaking long runs when in open space.

Should have traded for Henry and rotated both. We would have a much better running game right now.