Blocking scheme and OL’s mediocre run blocking is the main problem in run game, not RB’s!

Loso86

Reaction score
Yes! The scheme and the line helped Pollard have the best yards per carry average in the league.

Pollard is very good, but he and all other running backs, need blocking. Last year the scheme and blocking were better and Pollard did better. This year the blocking and scheme have not been near as good and Pollard is not averaging as many yards per carry.
It’s simple all RB’s need blocking!
I agree mostly. But the first half of the year Pollard was NOT Pollard. No burst, no vision no wiggle

cristglo

Reaction score
This.
:hammer:

To blame it on ALL 5 linemen is just as foolish as thinking that a RB doesn’t need blocking.

He has lost a step. He’s not breaking long runs when in open space.

Should have traded for Henry and rotated both. We would have a much better running game right now.
I have a feeling that that lack of a move before the trade deadline will come back and haunt us

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
This.
:hammer:

To blame it on ALL 5 linemen is just as foolish as thinking that a RB doesn’t need blocking.

He has lost a step. He’s not breaking long runs when in open space.

Should have traded for Henry and rotated both. We would have a much better running game right now.
I think it's a little bit of both too. The OL just doesn't seem to be getting the push it should or have in the past, is it part of the scheme with a new OL coach. Steele isn't the same, but is looking a little better as the season progresses. Pollard may have lost a bit, but it may be just be coming back from the injury, but he's gotten a little better as the season has gone on. Starting to see him make some moves and playing stronger than he did earlier in the season as well, maybe the leg's feeling better and a little more confidence that it will hold up.

These last few games, been seeing him carry some guys, make some cuts, making some hard runs, trucked a dude this last game. The run game isn't where we like it to be, but there has been some signs of improvement and there's still time to get better. With some work, this offense can be peaking at the perfect time.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think it's a little bit of both too. The OL just doesn't seem to be getting the push it should or have in the past, is it part of the scheme with a new OL coach. Steele isn't the same, but is looking a little better as the season progresses. Pollard may have lost a bit, but it may be just be coming back from the injury, but he's gotten a little better as the season has gone on. Starting to see him make some moves and playing stronger than he did earlier in the season as well, maybe the leg's feeling better and a little more confidence that it will hold up.

These last few games, been seeing him carry some guys, make some cuts, making some hard runs, trucked a dude this last game. The run game isn't where we like it to be, but there has been some signs of improvement and there's still time to get better. With some work, this offense can be peaking at the perfect time.
Seen the same from Pollard. Glad to hear I’m not the only one. He did look better in some recent games. Offensive line woes have also been improving rapidly. We had EVERY offensive line starter injured at one point in the beginning of the year. How do you get any continuity out of that? Especially if you‘re trying to do new things with the offense like transition pass protection to mostly zone blocking? There’s a lot of misinformation out there on this, and when I get a chance, I want to make a thread about it. This notion that Pollard is continually jammed behind the line of scrimmage is just not true. Our run blocking is much better than our pass blocking (credit to Dak) right now, and the player speeds are measured, and Pollard has lost a step. The answer was not to make Pollard the premier back, the answer was to replace Zeke with a better running back, or trade for one this year once it was realized Pollard might not get back to his former self. As far as scheme, all our RBs are fast North-South types, albeit some slowdown with Pollard. Should probably just stick with zone blocking so they can do their cut and run. But not sure if we have all the right linemen for that. I have yet to find one of these new analytics sites that breaks down zone vs man on blocking each game which I would love to see, because I think we have issues from that too. It’s a complicated mess.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I admit I have not done extensive analysis of this but after watching the Seahawks game a couple of times focusing on the run game, I am wondering if the problem is more than just the OL not creating any holes to run through. There were several plays I saw designed to go to the left, but it looked like room opened up on the right. Pollard and Rico just ran into the pile when they could have cut back to the left where there was more room. I am not say they would go for 40 yards, but they could have gotten 5 instead of 0 or -1.

Again, I am not saying this is the only problem with the run game. There are more. Terence Steele when he pulls to his left, instead of driving into the hole and blowing out the DE or DT, he kind of throws a soft block and gets no movement. The guy who pulls has to come with great force and momentum and drive the defenders out of the hole. A 300 lb lineman running full speed bring a lot of force but Steele seems to soften the blow instead of bulldozing his way into the hole. When I played OL in high school if I pulled like that my coach would have kicked me in the pants then made me run laps until my feet bled.

Then, and I am not sure is this was by design, I saw a couple of plays where Luepke at FB drove into the right side of the line and Pollard went left. Not sure why he didn't follow the FB. On one play there was a hole where Luepke ran into but Pollard went in the opposite direction as soon as he took the snap and he got tackled for a loss. I love running behind a FB but the RB has to get behind the FB and use him as interference. Again I am not talking about getting an extra 20 or 30 yards, but perhaps the difference is 7 yards instead of 0. And btw, Luepke is not a great blocking FB in the run game. He does okay but he does not hold his blocks very long.

At the same time it is hard to complain about the offense when they march up and down the field at will. Still, in the red zone it would be good to have a decent running game to keep the defense honest at least.
Good post. I'm glad someone else is seeing this stuff.

On multiple occasions I saw Pollard get the hand off and basically slow walk into a pile created by pulling guards. About 6 feet away was a massive hole. Based on what I am seeing, the RB's are being told what hole to run through and not consider cutbacks or bounce outs. I haven't seen one RB seemingly change direction before they get to the line all year that I can recall.

IMO, this is on Solari and Schottenheimer. The vaunted power run game is a complete dud. I see what they did. They frequently pull offensive linemen into the hole to get more bodies at the point of attack. The problem is that it happens so slow that defenders just follow them there and it becomes a mass of bodies where Pollard just falls down after 2 yards. Its Dallas' version of the tush push. I don't blame Pollard OR the o line. Its a dumb scheme.

The offense has been great overall but its almost all the passing game, which is McCarthy.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
I hope the cowboys figure it out. The team as a whole averaging 30-40 points a game is pathetic

starfan1

Reaction score
It’s a combo, Pollard isn’t breaking anything when he does get into open field. He was even run down from behind earlier this season
If I’m remembering that play it was also by a DB with elite speed and angle but I believe pollard may have slowed down a bit since injury

I just think that’s a bad example. It is a combo you are right imo I just think it’s more the blocking and scheme than it is TP

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I have a feeling that that lack of a move before the trade deadline will come back and haunt us

i think run game on both sides will haunt us. What you bring up on offense and we haven’t fixed it entirely with the defense either. Just been playing a lot of low win teams that have horrible pass protection which is our specialty. Play a semi-competent Oline and suddenly our defense looks vulnerable against the run.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
If I’m remembering that play it was also by a DB with elite speed and angle but I believe pollard may have slowed down a bit since injury

I just think that’s a bad example. It is a combo you are right imo I just think it’s more the blocking and scheme than it is TP
You can see the top speed players at NFL NEXT GEN stats. I don’t have time to list everything I’ve seen, but Pollard frequently showed up as the fastest runner on our team last year. I’m not sure he has shown up a single week this year and this is with the same guys, like Turpin, Bland, Gallup, etc. playing last year, ie the usual speed demons.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What are some of you watching?

Last year Pollard led the entire NFL in yards per carry. The last 2 weeks he has looked quick, fast and strong. Back to his old self. Some of you are calling him a scrub and not a Bell Cow. If you are calling him a scrub, you are clueless and want attention. If you are saying he is not a Bell Cow that is reasonable, but SO what if he is not a Bell Cow. Most teams in today’s NFL do not have a Bell Cow back. Most teams use 2-3 backs to carry the load. Pollard and Dowdle can get the job done if there is a little blocking. Dowdle is a good complimentary back. He runs extremely hard! Also, Pollard has always been good inside the tackles.

I can understand wanting a bigger back in short yardage or a little more power. I think Dowdle should be given a few carries at the goal line.

Bottom line: Every running back needs blocking. Pollard has not been getting good enough blocking because of the scheme and the O line.

Finally: on 3rd or 4th and 1, or less, we need to relia on the QB sneak 90% of the time. We have 2 guards way above average, and a big strong QB. Biadaz needs to work on getting low and driving forward. Tom Brady, without the Tush Push made over 90% of his QB sneaks! I do think we need our backs pushing Dak from behind though.

On Thanksgiving all 3 losing teams failed to convert on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. Non tried the QB sneak!
I don't totally disagree. I think the OL as a whole has been problematic, in run and pass. Steele just plain sucks this year and I am scared to see him against Bosa and niners and not sure about the insistance of coaches leaving him on an island.

but to your point, can't count the number of times I have seen defenders in the backfield as the play starts. this OL is not getting any push or really opening holes

Jarntt

Reaction score

Last year Pollard led the entire NFL in yards per carry. The last 2 weeks he has looked quick, fast and strong. Back to his old self. Some of you are calling him a scrub and not a Bell Cow. If you are calling him a scrub, you are clueless and want attention. If you are saying he is not a Bell Cow that is reasonable, but SO what if he is not a Bell Cow. Most teams in today’s NFL do not have a Bell Cow back. Most teams use 2-3 backs to carry the load. Pollard and Dowdle can get the job done if there is a little blocking. Dowdle is a good complimentary back. He runs extremely hard! Also, Pollard has always been good inside the tackles.

I can understand wanting a bigger back in short yardage or a little more power. I think Dowdle should be given a few carries at the goal line.

Bottom line: Every running back needs blocking. Pollard has not been getting good enough blocking because of the scheme and the O line.

Finally: on 3rd or 4th and 1, or less, we need to relia on the QB sneak 90% of the time. We have 2 guards way above average, and a big strong QB. Biadaz needs to work on getting low and driving forward. Tom Brady, without the Tush Push made over 90% of his QB sneaks! I do think we need our backs pushing Dak from behind though.

On Thanksgiving all 3 losing teams failed to convert on 4th and 1 in the 4th quarter. Non tried the QB sneak!
First off I agree wit the QB sneak comment. One of the best QBs at it in history was Brady and he is no athletic freak.

On your main point I think it is both. Pollard does not have the explosiveness that he had in prior years (likely due to the injury). That reduces the number of big plays and that split second slower can also be the difference between getting through a hole and not. Also, the last couple of years Pollard seemed to hit the hole more aggressively and this year he seems to be more passively just trying to read the hole. Patience can be good, but it also ca nbc bad. I think both of those are on Pollard not being the same back as he was (one physical and one mental or maybe coaching). Now I also agree with you because if you look at most of our run plays that occur in likely running situations (and especially in the red zone) we don't seem to be spread out at all, ever. Everything is bunched and the middle is just clogged up with no push or hole where even Jim Brown could't get through. This is scheme or lack of execution. Also, it seems to me that players are more easily able to read our zone blocking scheme. When the whole line moves one way the defenders seem to be shooting the gaps that open up knowing the RB is going to be looking to do the same. An example of this was Adams Thursday night on the TFL he had. IMO we need to be running more out of spread sets and letting Pollard be Pollard and also run less zone blocking in those situations and just let our two Guards do their thing and run up their *** when we only need a yard or so. Every time I see a slow developing run at the goal line I see an off the ball defender step up and stop it if it happens to not first be stopped by a DL.

starfan1

Reaction score
You can see the top speed players at NFL NEXT GEN stats. I don’t have time to list everything I’ve seen, but Pollard frequently showed up as the fastest runner on our team last year. I’m not sure he has shown up a single week this year and this is with the same guys, like Turpin, Bland, Gallup, etc. playing last year, ie the usual speed demons.
Maybe he has lost a step I don’t argue that but he is getting hit right away too often

Even your post I quoted to begin with was on a pass and not a run

I feel like TP is the lesser of the 2 problems by a fair margin but that’s just me

1942willys

Reaction score
Coaching scheme and Steele being a shell of himself

and Biadazz is not powerful and sadly has not made more improvement since the big step he took last year. Sadly I think he has reached his limit.

And a bit of it is Pollard and the other backs not looking for any hole there is; or being patient when the guards are pulling. But that is a minor factor compared to the rest

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Maybe he has lost a step I don’t argue that but he is getting hit right away too often

Even your post I quoted to begin with was on a pass and not a run

I feel like TP is the lesser of the 2 problems by a fair margin but that’s just me
It’s a team game, blame always goes all around. But I think the guys sticking with TP as not at fault are thinking that if our O-Line improves, we suddenly have a franchise back. We thought we did. Just isn’t working out. Happens a lot when one guy suddenly becomes ‘the man.’ Time to find another franchise back. *sigh*

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Pollard doesn't have the ability to get the tough yards on his own, he needs perfect blocking up front to get those types of yardage. The dude barely get's hit and he falls down, whereas a back like Zek was plowed into the line and got his tough yards even when there wasn't a lane to run in.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
cant run with scrub RBs.

Never gonna work.

We fix this mess in the draft.

I think Rico might be kept as a 3rd. He's RFA.

starfan1

Reaction score
It’s a team game, blame always goes all around. But I think the guys sticking with TP as not at fault are thinking that if our O-Line improves, we suddenly have a franchise back. We thought we did. Just isn’t working out. Happens a lot when one guy suddenly becomes ‘the man.’ Time to find another franchise back. *sigh*
I’m not sure who would be foolish enough to consider pollard as a franchise back

He’s a stop gap cause zeke was no longer it in my opinion we should have had rbbc

There should have been a back drafted in first 3 rounds and the opportunity was there

But I think this line will be our undoing in playoffs against better fronts

Pollard was not going to be here next year regardless of how he performed this year

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I’m not sure who would be foolish enough to consider pollard as a franchise back

He’s a stop gap cause zeke was no longer it in my opinion we should have had rbbc

There should have been a back drafted in first 3 rounds and the opportunity was there

But I think this line will be our undoing in playoffs against better fronts

Pollard was not going to be here next year regardless of how he performed this year
There was a 2nd round pick available. :muttley: