Blocking scheme and OL’s mediocre run blocking is the main problem in run game, not RB’s!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This.
:hammer:

To blame it on ALL 5 linemen is just as foolish as thinking that a RB doesn’t need blocking.

He has lost a step. He’s not breaking long runs when in open space.

Should have traded for Henry and rotated both. We would have a much better running game right now.
It’s not just the O line blocking. The scheme has changed. The scheme makes it harder for the lineman to get into position to make an effective block. Simple fans do not understand this.

Pollard and Dowdle will be very effective when the blocking improves.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I’m not sure who would be foolish enough to consider pollard as a franchise back

He’s a stop gap cause zeke was no longer it in my opinion we should have had rbbc

There should have been a back drafted in first 3 rounds and the opportunity was there

But I think this line will be our undoing in playoffs against better fronts

Pollard was not going to be here next year regardless of how he performed this year
You do not need a franchise back to win a Superbowl, BUT you do need a good blocking scheme and good blocking!
Again, we have 2 backs that can get the job done.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It’s not just the O line blocking. The scheme has changed. The scheme makes it harder for the lineman to get into position to make an effective block. Simple fans do not understand this.

Pollard and Dowdle will be very effective when the blocking improves.
I’m always wary of arguments that start with the ‘simple fans don’t understand‘ from message board posters. I think that masks misunderstanding from the poster themself.

I have another post here or the other Pollard thread explaining it as best as I can. Yes, they went from man to zone. Yes, they struggle when pulling guys, we have a bunch of slow old or injury rehab linemen for the most part. And yes, continuity was a huge issue since all starting linemen were hurt at the beginning of the year. But stop blaming the Line for all of it.

You present it like Pollard is this franchise back waiting to burst. Dude has lost his burst and cannot handle being the premier back. O-Line is getting better quickly on the run. What is ironic, is no one is talking about our pass protection and that’s where the issue is still hurting us. Dak had guys breaking free all day in that Seattle game but he’s playing like an MVP in spite of it.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
This.

To blame it on ALL 5 linemen is just as foolish as thinking that a RB doesn’t need blocking.

Should have traded for Henry and rotated both. We would have a much better running game right now.
No one with any football knowledge is just blaming the O line. The scheme and blocking design need to improve to make it easier for the lineman to make their blocks. Most fans do not understand this AT ALL!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
My man I’ll die on this hill with you! Seems so obvious to me, clamoring for Derrick Henry doesn’t make sense when we can’t open lanes. He’d be in the same situation.
While I agree that most of the problem seems to be poor run blocking, I think Henry would be able to power through more of it than TP does, simply because of his size.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I would suggest to fans. If you don’t know what you are talking about it is best to stay silent. If you write something and don’t know what you are talking about everyone sees it. It’s not a good look.
There's be 80% fewer comments and 90% fewer threads.

starfan1

Reaction score
There was a 2nd round pick available. :muttley:
Amen I don’t care if he can block Lawrence Taylor that 2nd round just further personifies this organizations reaching ability.

This draft may end up ok but right now it’s failure imo.

I know these guys need reps but man do I hate this draft. My favorite pick is on IR

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
This.

Henry should've been a Cowboy, but constantly running into walls has probably tired Pollard out a little, making it harder to keep his speed.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I’m always wary of arguments that start with the ‘simple fans don’t understand‘ from message board posters. I think that masks misunderstanding from the poster themself.

I have another post here or the other Pollard thread explaining it as best as I can. Yes, they went from man to zone. Yes, they struggle when pulling guys, we have a bunch of slow old or injury rehab linemen for the most part. And yes, continuity was a huge issue since all starting linemen were hurt at the beginning of the year. But stop blaming the Line for all of it.

You present it like Pollard is this franchise back waiting to burst. Dude has lost his burst and cannot handle being the premier back. O-Line is getting better quickly on the run. What is ironic, is no one is talking about our pass protection and that’s where the issue is still hurting us. Dak had guys breaking free all day in that Seattle game but he’s playing like an MVP in spite of it.
You can be wary if you want, but many fans have very little real knowledge of the game. They have always watched the game from their coach. Never played a position( QB, OL, MLB ) or coached where you need to know what everyone is doing.

Regarding the pass blocking: it has improved over the last 4 games. They gave up 4 sacks vs Seattle, but the pass blocking was good in general. We did score 41 points mostly due to passing the ball. The 3 weeks prior the O line did not give up a sack!

I think the run blocking can improve, but the scheme needs to be tweeked.

Also, I have NEVER said Pollard is a Franchise Back, but I do believe he is definitely an above average NFL back. Him and Dowdle can get the job done with better blocking.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think it's a little bit of both too. The OL just doesn't seem to be getting the push it should or have in the past, is it part of the scheme with a new OL coach. Steele isn't the same, but is looking a little better as the season progresses. Pollard may have lost a bit, but it may be just be coming back from the injury, but he's gotten a little better as the season has gone on. Starting to see him make some moves and playing stronger than he did earlier in the season as well, maybe the leg's feeling better and a little more confidence that it will hold up.

These last few games, been seeing him carry some guys, make some cuts, making some hard runs, trucked a dude this last game. The run game isn't where we like it to be, but there has been some signs of improvement and there's still time to get better. With some work, this offense can be peaking at the perfect time.
I agree, Pollard and Steele have been playing better the last couple of games. Not a huge surprise as they are both still recovering from an injury.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
You can be wary if you want, but many fans have very little real knowledge of the game. They have always watched the game from their coach. Never played a position( QB, OL, MLB ) or coached where you need to know what everyone is doing.

Regarding the pass blocking: it has improved over the last 4 games. They gave up 4 sacks vs Seattle, but the pass blocking was good in general. We did score 41 points mostly due to passing the ball. The 3 weeks prior the O line did not give up a sack!

I think the run blocking can improve, but the scheme needs to be tweeked.

Also, I have NEVER said Pollard is a Franchise Back, but I do believe he is definitely an above average NFL back. Him and Dowdle can get the job done with better blocking.
Yeah, the blocking can improve, but you started the thread saying it had nothing to do with our RBs because of Pollard’s numbers last year. Grass is always greener on backs who share the load. Using last year means nothing. But in Pollard’s defense, that injury probably took something. I guess what I don’t understand is what you’re trying to get at. I think we are just getting by right now with running game. Both Pollard and Oline have improved a lot from game one. Not great, but not broken either, and any upgrade is going to require a franchise back, or 2 solid Thunder & Lightning backs rotating again, no matter what scheme we run.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
At that point we’re looking at a 6+ yard gain. The issue is guys in the backfield or the line not moving and us running for 1-3 yards only.

Once he’s in the open field it’s already deemed a successful run.
True and to get in that open field it’s not always clean as can be blocking. Sometimes you need to make the first guy miss and more often than not Pollard hasn’t.

RonWashington

Reaction score
Who are you replacing?

If nothing else depth & competition. Richards & Bass seem to be top reserves this yr.

Ball & Wiletzco never seemed to pan out or were injured . The line needs some new college talent out of the draft.

Nav22

Reaction score
If you haven't noticed that Pollard isn't NEARLY as explosive as he was in previous seasons, then I have no clue what you're watching. The injury seems to have taken its toll.

It's like the crowd who refused to believe Zeke had lost a step, for years and years.
:laugh:

McKDaddy

Reaction score
TB & ZM can't root anyone out. TB is pretty good when he can block on the move. ZM hasn't moved well all year. Maybe a little better of late.

The defenses know these things & have advantages in how they play us in run situations.