BNA's QB surprise.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart. He's got the size to play QB and had great numbers playing at Sam Houston.

I think this guy will surprise alot of you. His name is Dustin Long.

SEASON RECORD CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 11-3 333 531 4588 62.7 8.6 39 18 10 152.7 45 -12 -0.3 2
2003 - 63 104 709 60.6 6.8 4 6 10 119.0 21 -34 -1.6 0
2002 - 177 333 2509 53.2 7.5 19 16 19 125.7 49 13 0.3 1

The obvious response is that McNeal beat him out at A&M ... so he can't be that great.

Mind you, McNeall is a superb athlete and could have beat out a number of good QB prospects.

ghst187

Reaction score
yep, lots of fabulous pro QB's coming out of the Big XII these days...

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart. He's got the size to play QB and had great numbers playing at Sam Houston.

The obvious response is that McNeal beat him out at A&M ... so he can't be that great.

Mind you, McNeall is a superb athlete and could have beat out a number of good QB prospects.

I am all for keeping Dustin Long if he can truly win a position, Ben... but I GUARANTEE Henson won't be cut...

Now crazy things can happen... but the only way Henson isn't here is if a trade comes about...

I have seen Long play in person a couple of times... and also on TV as well... he is a nice QB but he needs to toughen up mentally and he doesn't have NFL starter arm strength...

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:

I think if Long plays really well, he might get a practice squad contract. If he plays lights out, he might challenge Romo for three. The most likely scenario is that he is another arm for camp.

I've seen Long play and am actually all for signing him, but he is coming from I-AA, which is a long ways from the NFL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Banned_n_austin said:
I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart.
I think you are wrong. Henson improvement will surprise non-believers this year.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Gee imagine that another anti-Henson thread...

Isn't the use of countless threads about the exact same thing, knowing it will just start trouble, against the forum rules?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

Isn't the use of countless threads about the exact same thing, knowing it will just start trouble, against the forum rules?

Might as well tell the wind not to blow.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
I think if Long plays really well, he might get a practice squad contract. If he plays lights out, he might challenge Romo for three. The most likely scenario is that he is another arm for camp.

I've seen Long play and am actually all for signing him, but he is coming from I-AA, which is a long ways from the NFL.

I understand he is playing in a small division ... but good players come from those schools. Look at Larry Allen. I can see this guy earning a spot on the roster and knocking off Henson or Romo, who I think neither is a sure bet to make the team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
He might be able to beat out Tony Romo, but I'd be pretty shocked if he could. Doubt he'll make the team unless there's an injury.

Color me unconvinced. Wish him well. He's going to need it.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:

This is not an anti-Henson thread. He is a legit QB prospect. This thread is for the realistic fans. Those who know that NO ONE is safe except Bledsoe, not even Henson.

If you don't like it, don't post in it.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Well it's like this.......if some people had brains they would be dangerous.....

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
I understand he is playing in a small division ... but good players come from those schools. Look at Larry Allen. I can see this guy earning a spot on the roster and knocking off Henson or Romo, who I think neither is a sure bet to make the team.

Maybe, but to my knowledge, Dallas hasn't even signed him yet. Just a minicamp invite. If they thought he was a viable #2 option, I would have thought they might have got him under contract.

Good players do come from small schools, but it is a big step up to the pros. Romo came from I-AA and hasn't played a regular season down in two years.

watertown

Reaction score
I am not saying anything about small schools, I just think it is funny that someone can be so confident about a player who was not drafted or offered a fa opportunity, but after a min/camp is now going to cost Henson his job. I think BAA must be related to this guy

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
watertown said:
I am not saying anything about small schools, I just think it is funny that someone can be so confident about a player who was not drafted or offered a fa opportunity, but after a min/camp is now going to cost Henson his job. I think BAA must be related to this guy
Doubt it, just another silly agenda. Track record...

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This is not an anti-Henson thread. He is a legit QB prospect. This thread is for the realistic fans. Those who know that NO ONE is safe except Bledsoe, not even Henson.
I consider myself a fairly realistic guy but I seriously doubt that this guy will take Henson's place. He will be hard pressed to beat out Romo. The coaching staff (especially Asst. HC and passing game coordinator Sean Payton) is high on Romo and Parcells speaks highly of him too. It will take a lights-out effort to push him out.

As for Henson here's a touch of reality for you; he is Jerry Jones' new fairhaired boy and I don't see Parcells being willing to alignate the Boss by cutting him for some new UDFA kid from a small school with a so-so arm. BP may be able to stave Jerry off of forcing him to start Henson but cutting him for this kid would really be pushing it. Parcells may be running the show but Jerry is still the Boss; make no mistake about that.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
BNA's QB surprise? If it's anythink the Meat loaf surprise I had last week, forget it. And from the looks of this thread, It's gonna give me as much gas as the meat loaf.