BNA's QB surprise.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
BNA's QB surprise? If it's anythink the Meat loaf surprise I had last week, forget it. And from the looks of this thread, It's gonna give me as much gas as the meat loaf.
At least you didn't starve last week.

cowboyfreak

Reaction score
junk said:
I think if Long plays really well, he might get a practice squad contract. If he plays lights out, he might challenge Romo for three. The most likely scenario is that he is another arm for camp.

I've seen Long play and am actually all for signing him, but he is coming from I-AA, which is a long ways from the NFL.

Sorry,
But, I can't let this statement slide. I went to the same high school as Dustin. I saw every single high school game and every possible game at A&M as well. Watched as many SHS games as were aired last year, sooo I might be a little biased- but I am also in better position than most here when discussing his attributes.

Dustin willed a small, untalented but scrappy team to the state championship- not in Utah or some obscure but in Texas-where high school football is a religion. Stephenville won that year - Dustin could only do so much. Ok , that's high school - anybody can be good in high school, right?

Well here is where the problem starts- PN-G (our high school was down by 3 with less than 2 minutes to go -inside our own 20 in the semi-final game against a much better school- I saw first hand that this kid was truly special - heck he could've been catching his own passes and kicking extra points for all we knew...He drives down the field and scores the winning TD with just a couple tics left on the clock.

Remember I said something about a problem? This game took place at Kyle Field (A&M) - The coach (Slocum) fell in love with Dustin and everything went downhill after that. The kid had offers from Kansas St, Hawaii, and a bunch of other schools that I can't recall but chose A & freakin M! I'm a Longhorn fan so of course I was pissed. But I was really upset that Dustin would choose a school not known for even attempting to develop a QB - unless you count Bucky Richardson (Houston Oiler scrub a while back)

Dustin had 2 other misfortunes in addition:
A coaching change (Francionne)
Reggie McNeal

Now in the games Dustin played in he set school records for single game passing yards (399 vs. Kansas), single game passing touchdowns (7 vs. Texas Tech), season passing touchdowns (19, tied with Gary Kubiak, 1982) and season 300-yard passing games (3) … reached the 1,000- and 2,000-yard barrier in career passing yards faster than any quarterback in school history. The kid has skills.

But the alumni knew that McNeal was on the bench and Francionne was new . I believe pressure was put on by the alumni to play McNeal, an outstanding athlete (on the heels of the Michael Vick craze). Mcneal struggled but did have success by relieving Long in a game against Oklahoma- his change of pace style led to an Aggie win- and the rest was history.

People who did not follow this situation do not realize that even the week after Dustin had a multiple record-breaking performance Francionne would not name a starter until gameday - it was a ridiculous situation for any player.

SO He transfered to Sam Houston State (A move he had to make to remain eligible -drop in class 1a to 1aa when he knew he would not be given a fair chance to start)

You know the rest: he blew many the of SHS passing records away, led his team to one of the greatest seasons in school history. After going 2-9 in 2003, Sam Houston went 11-3 in 2004, and claimed a share of the Southland Conference title. The BearKats also reached the national semifinals and finished ranked No. 4 in the country, the highest ever for SHSU.

As I said, I may be a little biased but the 1-AA comment got to me. I think it was the only choice he had to play. I guarantee you that I'd rather have Dustin than a lot of others out there.

Sorry for the rant- most people won't read this far anyway.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
cowboyfreak said:
Sorry,
But, I can't let this statement slide. I went to the same high school as Dustin. I saw every single high school game and every possible game at A&M as well. Watched as many SHS games as were aired last year, sooo I might be a little biased- but I am also in better position than most here when discussing his attributes.
BUT does he have an NFL caliber arm? Heck, even Jason White can't get a gig cuz of a lack of arm strength. I'm all for the underdog BUT even one of my fav Longhorn, Major Applewhite, couldn't catch on due to a lack of an NFL arm. I wish him luck but I'm not holding my breath. MAYBE the PS after all is said and done?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
Maybe, but to my knowledge, Dallas hasn't even signed him yet. Just a minicamp invite. If they thought he was a viable #2 option, I would have thought they might have got him under contract.

Good players do come from small schools, but it is a big step up to the pros. Romo came from I-AA and hasn't played a regular season down in two years.

Junk - all I am saying is this guy has a chance to earn a 1 year pass to play on the 3rd string this year. Long is a what his name says, "a long shot". But don't rub this guy off simply because he's not your average draft pick ... Sure, he's an unresricted free agent. And sure we traded a 3rd round pick for Henson, but there are no certainties.

This Long guy doesn't get much credit, but he's a Parcells prospect and Parcells could make a place for him - even if it meant cutting Henson. Those of you putting this past Parcells really make me giggle.

As if every position were etched in stone.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyfreak said:
Sorry,

Dustin willed a small, untalented but scrappy team to the state championship- not in Utah or some obscure but in Texas-where high school football is a religion. Stephenville won that year - Dustin could only do so much. Ok , that's high school - anybody can be good in high school, right?

Well here is where the problem starts- PN-G (our high school was down by 3 with less than 2 minutes to go -inside our own 20 in the semi-final game against a much better school- I saw first hand that this kid was truly special - heck he could've been catching his own passes and kicking extra points for all we knew...He drives down the field and scores the winning TD with just a couple tics left on the clock.

Remember I said something about a problem? This game took place at Kyle Field (A&M) - The coach (Slocum) fell in love with Dustin and everything went downhill after that. The kid had offers from Kansas St, Hawaii, and a bunch of other schools that I can't recall but chose A & freakin M! I'm a Longhorn fan so of course I was pissed. But I was really upset that Dustin would choose a school not known for even attempting to develop a QB - unless you count Bucky Richardson (Houston Oiler scrub a while back)

Reggie McNeal

Now in the games Dustin played in he set school records for single game passing yards (399 vs. Kansas), single game passing touchdowns (7 vs. Texas Tech), season passing touchdowns (19, tied with Gary Kubiak, 1982) and season 300-yard passing games (3) … reached the 1,000- and 2,000-yard barrier in career passing yards faster than any quarterback in school history. The kid has skills.

But the alumni knew that McNeal was on the bench and Francionne was new . I believe pressure was put on by the alumni to play McNeal, an outstanding athlete (on the heels of the Michael Vick craze). Mcneal struggled but did have success by relieving Long in a game against Oklahoma- his change of pace style led to an Aggie win- and the rest was history.

People who did not follow this situation do not realize that even the week after Dustin had a multiple record-breaking performance Francionne would not name a starter until gameday - it was a ridiculous situation for any player.

SO He transfered to Sam Houston State (A move he had to make to remain eligible -drop in class 1a to 1aa when he knew he would not be given a fair chance to start)

You know the rest: he blew many the of SHS passing records away, led his team to one of the greatest seasons in school history. After going 2-9 in 2003, Sam Houston went 11-3 in 2004, and claimed a share of the Southland Conference title. The BearKats also reached the national semifinals and finished ranked No. 4 in the country, the highest ever for SHSU.

As I said, I may be a little biased but the 1-AA comment got to me. I think it was the only choice he had to play. I guarantee you that I'd rather have Dustin than a lot of others out there.

Ahh my young jedi ... I have heard much about Mr. Dustin Long. He is a true player. When the preseason comes many are going to be impressed by this player. I've heard it from everywhere ... I'm just so amazed that everyone is 100% sold on Henson - everyone.

I'm scratching my footballs on this one.

billknows

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart. He's got the size to play QB and had great numbers playing at Sam Houston.

I think this guy will surprise alot of you. His name is Dustin Long.

SEASON RECORD CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 11-3 333 531 4588 62.7 8.6 39 18 10 152.7 45 -12 -0.3 2
2003 - 63 104 709 60.6 6.8 4 6 10 119.0 21 -34 -1.6 0
2002 - 177 333 2509 53.2 7.5 19 16 19 125.7 49 13 0.3 1

The obvious response is that McNeal beat him out at A&M ... so he can't be that great.

Mind you, McNeall is a superb athlete and could have beat out a number of good QB prospects.

I for one trust my instincts,I hope he can knock off Bledsoe and ends up a nice 3rd stringer,...Henson is the man IMO...Bill knows

PS Your picture of our next great QB SUCKS IMO...

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
5mics said:
BUT does he have an NFL caliber arm? Heck, even Jason White can't get a gig cuz of a lack of arm strength. I'm all for the underdog BUT even one of my fav Longhorn, Major Applewhite, couldn't catch on due to a lack of an NFL arm. I wish him luck but I'm not holding my breath. MAYBE the PS after all is said and done?

5mic, I think this guy does have an arm. I hear all the question marks regarding him are laughable - all of them. This guy is supposed to be 100% pure QB.

If he's got a capable cast of players around him, don't be surprised if Parcells makes him Bledsoe's backup. He's supposed to be the complete package. I spit you not. I've heard from some people that this guy is spec-freaking-tacular.

I guess we'll find out come preseason.

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
cowboyfreak said:
Reggie McNeal

H'mm ... let's write this guy off because of the division he played in, right?

:stop2:

No!

Let's take a closer look ...

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Henson is no shoe-in.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
H'mm ... let's write this guy off because of the division he played in, right?

:stop2:

No!

Let's take a closer look ...

I'm sorry to break it to you, but Henson is no shoe-in.

If you think Henson is going to be cut for ANY UDFA QB then maybe you should be wearing the clown suit cause that will NEVER happen

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Then he's the real deal, right?

who knows thats exactly why he wont be cut. Because he hasnt had his shot.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This is not an anti-Henson thread. He is a legit QB prospect. This thread is for the realistic fans. Those who know that NO ONE is safe except Bledsoe, not even Henson.

If you don't like it, don't post in it.

He may, or may not get a shot. But to beat out even Romo, he has to beat out the Payton player of the year in Division II...Not likely.

Then, he would have to beat out Henson, starting for one of the best Div I schools out there....The guy who competed with Tom Brady.

Anything can happen, heck I could win powerball someday too. But its all not likely.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
cowboyfreak said:
Sorry,

Reggie McNeal

I read it and its a fair comment. So is the comment that I-AA is a long ways from the NFL. I watched Long in the semifinals against Montana. He did look pretty good, but threw a critical pick that I believe cost his team a shot at the game.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Junk - all I am saying is this guy has a chance to earn a 1 year pass to play on the 3rd string this year. Long is a what his name says, "a long shot". But don't rub this guy off simply because he's not your average draft pick ... Sure, he's an unresricted free agent. And sure we traded a 3rd round pick for Henson, but there are no certainties.

This Long guy doesn't get much credit, but he's a Parcells prospect and Parcells could make a place for him - even if it meant cutting Henson. Those of you putting this past Parcells really make me giggle.

As if every position were etched in stone.

I agree this guy has a chance to play on the 3rd string this year. I feel that is Romo's spot though.

As for Long getting credit, do some searching on my posts. I remember silverbear and myself both mentioning Dustin Long far before you came up with this great idea after seeing he got invited to camp.

cowboyfreak

Reaction score
5mics said:

Truthfully, I don't know how to answer that...

But, I can tell you this. I have personally seen him do something that I never have seen any other QB do except Elway and Favre. In a high school playoff game in 1999, the offense was on the opposing 43 yd line. He rolls out to his left ( he is right handed) and eludes a would be tackler. He then spots an open reciever and throws the ball accurately across the field. The catch was made in the endzone (albeit the front of the endzone) so that right there is a good 50 yds accurately through the air.
I know he has the strength and accuracy. He picked apart the number 1 ranked team in 1-AA (Montana) with ridiculous ease and accuracy. He leads the recievers and throws a tight spiral.

This is a quote from a local sports editor, Bob West (Port Arthur News)
"And that brings us to Dustin Long. From the time he was a senior at PN-G, I've been saying Long was the best passer I'd seen in 40 years of watching high school football in Southeast Texas.". This is a fairly powerful statement considering the football in the local area of Texas wich boasts-24 state champions or finalists.

I know he easily outplayed Josh McCown (Arizona Cardinals) head-to-head ( I was there)in 1998.

If I had to compare him to a current NFL QB I'd probably say: Drew Brees with a little more moxie.

Anyway, as I tried to say, "I am not saying he is the end-all-beat-all", am probably a little biased, but in my opinion he is a lot more talented than Romo. But in fairness, I have seen much more of Long than Romo, so take it for what it is worth. :)

VoR

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart. He's got the size to play QB and had great numbers playing at Sam Houston.

I think this guy will surprise alot of you. His name is Dustin Long.

SEASON RECORD CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 11-3 333 531 4588 62.7 8.6 39 18 10 152.7 45 -12 -0.3 2
2003 - 63 104 709 60.6 6.8 4 6 10 119.0 21 -34 -1.6 0
2002 - 177 333 2509 53.2 7.5 19 16 19 125.7 49 13 0.3 1

The obvious response is that McNeal beat him out at A&M ... so he can't be that great.

Mind you, McNeall is a superb athlete and could have beat out a number of good QB prospects.

Yeah right,
A great prospect.....
the NFL can scout a guy like Demarcus Ware from a small school but just happened to "miss" on your boy Long. You should go scout and draft for the Commanders.This post is garbage and you should put yourself in the clown picture-

Banned-N-Realityville