BNA's QB surprise.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
5mic, I think this guy does have an arm. I hear all the question marks regarding him are laughable - all of them. This guy is supposed to be 100% pure QB.

If he's got a capable cast of players around him, don't be surprised if Parcells makes him Bledsoe's backup. He's supposed to be the complete package. I spit you not. I've heard from some people that this guy is spec-freaking-tacular.

I guess we'll find out come preseason.
Did we even sign him after the Mini-Camp?

btw, I saw Long play in a couple of games while he was at A&M. He did OK, kinda reminded me of Steve Walsh w/ a little better arm.....

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
cowboyfreak said:
Truthfully, I don't know how to answer that...

But, I can tell you this. I have personally seen him do something that I never have seen any other QB do except Elway and Favre. In a high school playoff game in 1999, the offense was on the opposing 43 yd line. He rolls out to his left ( he is right handed) and eludes a would be tackler. He then spots an open reciever and throws the ball accurately across the field. The catch was made in the endzone (albeit the front of the endzone) so that right there is a good 50 yds accurately through the air.
I know he has the strength and accuracy. He picked apart the number 1 ranked team in 1-AA (Montana) with ridiculous ease and accuracy. He leads the recievers and throws a tight spiral.

This is a quote from a local sports editor, Bob West (Port Arthur News)
"And that brings us to Dustin Long. From the time he was a senior at PN-G, I've been saying Long was the best passer I'd seen in 40 years of watching high school football in Southeast Texas.". This is a fairly powerful statement considering the football in the local area of Texas wich boasts-24 state champions or finalists.

I know he easily outplayed Josh McCown (Arizona Cardinals) head-to-head ( I was there)in 1998.

If I had to compare him to a current NFL QB I'd probably say: Drew Brees with a little more moxie.

Anyway, as I tried to say, "I am not saying he is the end-all-beat-all", am probably a little biased, but in my opinion he is a lot more talented than Romo. But in fairness, I have seen much more of Long than Romo, so take it for what it is worth. :)
Well, I'm not opposed to signing him to a contract and seeing how he does in pre-season. We need at least 4 QBs to start TC, right? Might as well be him then, give him a shot JJ.....

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart.

I honestly wish I knew you I would bet alot of cash against that.

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
Amazing. Before debating on which QBs he transplants on the roster, wouldn't SIGNING him be the appropriate first step?

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
M'Kevon said:
Amazing. Before debating on which QBs he transplants on the roster, wouldn't SIGNING him be the appropriate first step?

I'm just saying look out for this guy ... Notice there is a spot available.

blindzebra

Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
Let's see ...

BlindZebra is a genius.

Compared to some, without a doubt,

Care to compare wonderlic scores.:jerk:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Banned_n_austin said:
This guy is a great prospect! I think he's the guy that earns a spot on the team and knocks Henson off the depth chart. He's got the size to play QB and had great numbers playing at Sam Houston.

I think this guy will surprise alot of you. His name is Dustin Long.

SEASON RECORD CMP ATT YDS CMP% YPA TD INT SACK RAT ATT YDS AVG TD
2004 11-3 333 531 4588 62.7 8.6 39 18 10 152.7 45 -12 -0.3 2
2003 - 63 104 709 60.6 6.8 4 6 10 119.0 21 -34 -1.6 0
2002 - 177 333 2509 53.2 7.5 19 16 19 125.7 49 13 0.3 1

The obvious response is that McNeal beat him out at A&M ... so he can't be that great.

Mind you, McNeall is a superb athlete and could have beat out a number of good QB prospects.

uh, whatever

David

conner01

Reaction score
before we make this guy the starter you might want to consider we have'nt even signed him yet.he came in for the rookie mini camp but has not been signed.he may be a good prospect but if he is lucky he might make a ps for us or someone else.he is not gonna beat out rome,drew,or drew.get real,he does'nt even know the offense and we got him beating out henson.realistically he might be worth a ps spot but i could'nt say.but i will say he is not gonna beat out anyone for a roster spot.won't happen

Banned_n_austin

Benched
Reaction score
blindzebra said:
This would be the QB that Vermeil put his arm around, busted into tears, and said, "ARENA LEAGUE, SON."

You should really learn something about football, before you open your trap.:rolleyes:

I just had to ...

Another chance
Titans agree to deal with 2003 Heisman winner White
Posted: Thursday May 5, 2005 6:59PM; Updated: Thursday May 5, 2005 6:59PM

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jason White is getting another shot at the NFL with the Tennessee Titans.

The 2003 Heisman Trophy winner agreed to terms Thursday on a contract with the Titans. The former Oklahoma quarterback wasn't offered a contract after going through a three-day rookie camp with Kansas City last week.

White went undrafted despite leading the Sooners to the national title game in 2003 and '04. White threw 75 touchdown passes and went 24-3 the past two seasons with Oklahoma.

He finished his college career with 7,922 yards passing and 81 touchdown passes. But his arm strength is considered questionable for the NFL, and he has had major reconstructive surgery on both knees.

The Titans have an opening for the No. 3 quarterback job behind Steve McNair and Billy Volek. White also shares an agent with McNair.

White will be in town for the Titans' first minicamp workout of the offseason on May 17 with three other undrafted free agent quarterbacks: Shane Boyd of Kentucky, Gino Guidugli of Cincinnati and Marcus Randall of LSU.

:D