News: Bo + Austin = the end for Rod Smith?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If not for the injuries in college Bo would have been a 1st round pick if healthy he can run hard and run over people

But the fact was he was injured, and he was a 7th round pick. If teams loved him, he wouldn't have lasted to the 7th.

It would be interesting to see the league stats on 7th round picks. I bet cut and picked to another 53 << cut and not signed by anyone < cut and resigned to PS.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I’m half kidding here but....there should be a forum rule that we fans are not allowed to hype any newly drafted player as the next team star before they have even faced NFL competition in a regular season game.

Except for Darius the Great!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
And he is a 230 lbs power back. We don't "need" him but we are a running team and we need 3 quality runners. Going with 2 just doesn't make sense to me.

We need 3, but not in one game.

Practice squad. If someone signs him, which I doubt, we sign another. They skipped free agency and waited 7 rounds to sign one. Clearly, they didn't see a huge need.

I wanted them to get a third real back in the draft. Quality. At least 5th. I'd rather be churning real backs than carrying gimmick backs (although I'm glad they collapsed whitehead/Dunbar into one gimmick). But they seem perfectly happy with 2 real backs and a gimmick.

Maybe Bo looks really great and we keep him on the roster. But the odds are against it. PS.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Lance Dunbar was actually very effective in the offense.

Yeah, you guys remember all that awesomeness that was Lance Dunbar, right?

Member? The now 28 year old Lance Dunbar who's currently not in the league?

What a weapon. Hard to replace that. Fingers crossed on Austin.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Practice squad. If someone signs him, which I doubt, we sign another. They skipped free agency and waited 7 rounds to sign one. Clearly, they didn't see a huge need.

I wanted them to get a third real back in the draft. Quality. At least 5th. I'd rather be churning real backs than carrying gimmick backs (although I'm glad they collapsed whitehead/Dunbar into one gimmick). But they seem perfectly happy with 2 real backs and a gimmick.

Maybe Bo looks really great and we keep him on the roster. But the odds are against it. PS.

You need 1 RB if you have a real feature back. Only 1. You've only needed more than that in this gender fluid, safe space mentality today.

The 90's Cowboys teams had 1. Emmitt Smith. Nobody gave two craps about the backup. There wasn't a role for a vastly inferior player because men were still allowed to be men and Emmitt was the guy. He wasn't coming off the field to talk about his feelings.

Zeke is the guy. We don't need another one.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
But the fact was he was injured, and he was a 7th round pick. If teams loved him, he wouldn't have lasted to the 7th.

It would be interesting to see the league stats on 7th round picks. I bet cut and picked to another 53 << cut and not signed by anyone < cut and resigned to PS.
I already have a nick name for him it is suppository

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You need 1 RB if you have a real feature back. Only 1. You've only needed more than that in this gender fluid, safe space mentality today.

The 90's Cowboys teams had 1. Emmitt Smith. Nobody gave two craps about the backup. There wasn't a role for a vastly inferior player because men were still allowed to be men and Emmitt was the guy. He wasn't coming off the field to talk about his feelings.

Zeke is the guy. We don't need another one.

They would have had a capable backup if they could. But you're right. Emmitt wasn't coming off nor should he have. But then, there's only been one Emmitt in the history of the league.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They would have had a capable backup if they could. But you're right. Emmitt wasn't coming off nor should he have. But then, there's only been one Emmitt in the history of the league.

Emmitt was the only guy capable of carrying the full load? Hardly. Zeke is the same caliber of player.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd rather see Zeke split some time but get more touches in the passing game.

I'm not big on the 1 tough guy approach. Rest makes players more effective for the snaps they get. The inferior players can play at 110%. No tip toeing out of bounds. Wear down the defense.

Splitting time develops the guys behind you too. We split time between Parnell and Free, and both played better. For long term development, you want guys to expect to hit the field every week, even if only for a few downs.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather see Zeke split some time but get more touches in the passing game.

I'm not big on the 1 tough guy approach. Rest makes players more effective for the snaps they get. The inferior players can play at 110%. No tip toeing out of bounds. Wear down the defense.

Splitting time develops the guys behind you too. We split time between Parnell and Free, and both played better. For long term development, you want guys to expect to hit the field every week, even if only for a few downs.

And using this approach would have robbed Emmitt Smith from the career he had.

Acquire a great player. Use inferior players to keep him safe and rested.

No thank you. Not when you have a special talent like Zeke Elliott.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

Yeah because choosing the outlier is how you should plan for everything.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

if the plan is to rotate and you want to actually have depth you need 3. And that holds even if you think Zeke should get all carries. Should he go down you then want to rotate.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The FB is better than Smith but RSmith is a TB.

It really is funny how some fans always make a player who has shown some real talent...to run a gauntlet of low expectations and poor references.

We have a darn good fullback now, and I like Smith of the RB variety.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd rather keep my great player great a while longer, and be strong come the playoffs. If we didn't rely so heavily on Emmitt, maybe he would have remained a dominant back longer.

Emmitt was freakishly durable, and he only really had 5 years of dominance. Never made it over 4.2ypc after 1995.

Murray's ypc dropped as 2016 wore on. With a little more juice left, maybe he's not stripped for a fumble against GB.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd rather keep my great player great a while longer, and be strong come the playoffs. If we didn't rely so heavily on Emmitt, maybe he would have remained a dominant back longer.

LOL. What? He's got more rushing yards after 30 than anyone in league history.

But you would have protected him. Made him safe. Gave him his binky.

I prefer keeping football a man's sport.