Bob Hayes question for the oldies

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Here's all you need to know about Bob Hayes to put his speed into perspective. If you dropped 25 year old Bob Hayes into the today's NFL.. he would still be the fastest man in the NFL. Almost 50 years after his last game the NFL has still never seen someone so fast. The man ran a 10 second 100 meters on dirt. When I was college our track at Harvard was made of that crap. Most of the schools in the Ivy League had it. I could never get below 11.5 in the 100 meters on it. I was more than half second faster at meets run on more modern surfaces. I could explain why but it would require a lesson in kinesiology and physics which would put everybody to sleep. Still extrapolating my own improvement based on surface to Bob Hayes.. even if we just gave him my half second he would have been running 9.5 in the 100 meters almost 60 years ago. And don't forget that Bob Hayes was a football player first. He ran track in his spare time. And still smoked the best in the world. Anybody here think there is a player in the modern NFL or NCAA who could go out and kill it at the Olympics the way Bullet did? DK Metcalf got all kinds of accolades for looking respectable while finishing dead last in a race earlier this year right? Not at the Olympics but at some random track meet. His time was more than .3 seconds slower than what Hayes ran 60 years ago. On dirt.

It's well documented that the zone defense was invented to contain Bob Hayes but what isn't talked about as much is that teams actually started drafting other track guys to play defense because him. His influence on the game is immeasurable.

By the way, I think if he had focused on offense, Deion could have been something similar to what Tyreke Hill is doing. Deion was every bit as fast, quick and elusive with the ball in his hands. But he decided to focus on playing defense. A decision I admit I never fully understood because he all state on both offense AND defense in high school. I've never heard anyone ask him why he chose defense.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am old, but not old enough to have seen the Bullet play. Did his play resemble what Tarik Hill is doing today? Hill is easily the fastest player I have ever seen, curious if Bob was making world class athletes look slow too.
As far as straight line speed, Hayes was unbelievable, and for his time was faster than those he played with than Hill is with those he plays with today. Hill, on the other hand, is more shifty than Hayes was. More able to make the sharp cuts and out maneuver defenders.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And with the different kind of track shoes they use now compared to the 60’s. Remember running in Saucony’s my senior year in 82, the 100 & 200 and both sprint relays.
Yeah Hayes on modern surfaces with full time modern training and nutrition would likely have been faster than Usain Bolt. It's not well documented but he continued to run track on the side even while he was still playing in the NFL. Only back then "professionals" could not compete in the Olympics. I remember reading that Bullet had run like 9.91 in the 100 meters at one of those "professional" meets but the time was never ratified as a record because of all the amateur vs pro nonsense back then. What a load o horse doodie.

rags747

Reaction score
I’ll be honest I look at clips of Bullet Hayes and I don’t think they do him justice because he doesn’t look as fast as Hill. But they’re typically slowed down.
Explain “Typically slowed down”. What does that mean and why…

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think Tyreek is more of a jitterbug with speed. Hayes was more smooth.
As far as straight line speed, Hayes was unbelievable, and for his time was faster than those he played with than Hill is with those he plays with today. Hill, on the other hand, is more shifty than Hayes was. More able to make the sharp cuts and out maneuver defenders.
Good take. And for anyone else giving this some more thought. Everyone else is going with the "he changed defenses" or "dude had track records." We know that already. OP legitimately asked: for those of you who have seen both play, who was a better football player?

Creeper

Reaction score
Good take. And for anyone else giving this some more thought. Everyone else is going with the "he changed defenses" or "dude had track records." We know that already. OP legitimately asked: for those of you who have seen both play, who was a better football player?
It is impossible to say who the better football player is from two very different eras. They are both great. Tyreek will most likely make it to the HoF someday.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
He means it's shown in slow motion. As for why.. so the narrator has time talk, analyze and describe the play. If they showed most of Hayes TDs at real time speed it would be over in about 5 or 6 seconds.
Summed it up better than I could. This is what I meant.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah and I think it’s a good question. People keep talking about his impact and yeah we know but the OP just asked a simple question that people don’t want to answer.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Defenses changed their schemes to cover Bob Hayes. They started using zone coverages at a time when man-to-man was the norm.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I imagine they had close to the same straight line speed. Hill's shiftiness probably adds another level of greatness.
A colleague & I discussed Hill just a week or so ago. His ability to make the cuts he makes at the speed he makes them and ability to vary his speed & then explode is unlike anyone I've ever seen.

No disrespect to Bob or anyone else .... but I think Hill is the most dangerous offensive player the league has ever seen .... and I'm not sure anyone is that close. Defenses have years to study him and have come up with bupkus to stop him. It's combining world class speed with Barry Sanders type movement, power & balance all while allowing him to operate in space. It's completely one sided advantage for the offense.

12+88=7

Reaction score
Once again, play todays game with the rules of the era when Hayes played and Hill would not be as prolific as he is.

A couple of shots to the head and Hill would be hesitating about working the middle of the field. Hill would primarily run go routes and work the outside.

There you can cover him with a safety over the top. Just like the defense they invented to cover Hayes.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Deion was every bit as fast, quick and elusive with the ball in his hands.
I too was thinking of Deion. As great as Deion was, I think he too would struggle with Hill because of his jitterbug ability. Deion had some elusiveness .... but I don't think he could make the cuts that Hill makes. It would certainly be an epic matchup.

kskboys

Reaction score
I am old, but not old enough to have seen the Bullet play. Did his play resemble what Tarik Hill is doing today? Hill is easily the fastest player I have ever seen, curious if Bob was making world class athletes look slow too.
Did you know that Meredith and Hayes have the unofficial record of longest pass completed w/ no YAC? 83 yds. To restate, the ball was in the air for 83 yds.