Bob Hayes question for the oldies

kskboys

Reaction score
Three Hill had
Tom Landry, in collaboration with Gil Brandt - scoured the sphere of competitive sports to find athletes with skills that could translate to them becoming viable players in the NFL.
Not saying they're weren't other teams (in both the NFL and AFL) that were undertaking that same process; however - the Cowboys were miles ahead of every other team in both leagues in unearthing non-football talent that could be trained and coached up to play professional football.
We drafted Carl Lewis.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Willie Gault almost certainly would have been another; but his olympic year was 1980 and the boycott ruined that. HE was a member of the relay team and almost certainly would have won that gold medal
Hey.......Allan Wells the great flying Scotsman won that gold fair and square!

Apparently, he came over to the US and raced the Americans after winning his gold simply because of the asterisk against the win.

I know what you mean though!

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Roy Williams, WR, was a world class sprinter in HS. To you point.
Well Roy was pretty fast but I think his high school best was 10.48.. which is movin.. but not quite world class. Plus it happened in Texas and frankly I am always skeptical of some of the times that come out of Texas high schools. But usually it's just because Texas used to have (and still might have) that ridiculous rule that allowed kids to compete in high school sports up to like age 23 if they were diagnosed with a "learning disability." The number of 20 and 21 year old men out there dominating teenagers across the Texas high school landscape used to be astounding and disgusting. I think they have mostly fixed that but back in the day it was rampant.

I remember Billy Sims turning 20 the year he graduated high school.

This all reminds me of Mychal Thompson's high school hoops team in Miami which featured Mychal Thompson (yes Klay's dad and former Laker great) and four grown *** men from the Bahamas who ran through like a 35-0 season in the mid 70's. Miami Jackson.. the media called them "The Jackson Five." When the scam was uncovered they had to forfeit all 35 wins.. I can't remember but I think the team they beat for the state championship would eventually be crowned the champs.. like five years later. Big damn deal huh..