Bob McGinn NFL scouts comments on Guyton

Staubacher

Reaction score
So we drafted a high ceiling, low effort player who needs coaching and motivation and we are going to pair him with a mediocre OL coach and an atmosphere that has historically breeded complacency and self entitlement.

Sounds like a match made in heaven.
All in baby

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Hmmm…. Because there’s a legitimate question if he’ll last 5 (concussion issues) years and apparently he can’t snap the ball!
He went from a sure 1st round pick to being rated in the 50s in the space of 6 weeks.
When does Dallas shy away from those types? He is a plug and play guy with dawg in him. Guyton may be fine but man there are legitimate concerns about that guy being a good football player. Freakish athlete sure but you see his tape? A lunger. Plays on his heels a lot. I was also shocked how often he is on the ground.

They will need to get his technique straightened out and I hope he decides he wants to be great.

Sydla

Reaction score
Good news: Tyler Smith stays at OG where I think he can be a consistent all pro type

Bad news: Guyton is really raw, can he just be plugged into LT and we go from there?

More bad news: If Guyton scuffles early, do they think about moving Steele to LT and let Guyton get settled in the NFL at RT?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Good news: Tyler Smith stays at OG where I think he can be a consistent all pro type

Bad news: Guyton is really raw, can he just be plugged into LT and we go from there?

More bad news: If Guyton scuffles early, do they think about moving Steele to LT and let Guyton get settled in the NFL at RT?
Don’t forget that Guyton played with a left handed QB in college so that’s part of why he was a right tackle.

Sydla

Reaction score
Hmmm…. Because there’s a legitimate question if he’ll last 5 (concussion issues) years and apparently he can’t snap the ball!
He went from a sure 1st round pick to being rated in the 50s in the space of 6 weeks.
Ehhh, JPJ was initially in that 2nd round range and then early this year, he got hype and started rocketing up draft pundits boards. He only became a "sure" 1st round pick a couple of months ago. And it's not uncommon. Every year you have guys get bounced around the pundits boards.

exciter

Reaction score
Ehhh, JPJ was initially in that 2nd round range and then early this year, he got hype and started rocketing up draft pundits boards. He only became a "sure" 1st round pick a couple of months ago. And it's not uncommon. Every year you have guys get bounced around the pundits boards.
He was rated bottom first early 2nd then shot up boards after the senior bowls with people projecting him in the early 20s. Then the reports on what actual scouts were thinking started coming out and it was apparent he wasn’t a 1st weeks ago.

LysleE

Reaction score
Dallas definitely has a type of player they covet; they seem to get enamored with players who possess physical talent, but lack the intangibles to be great players.

In Dallas, you can underperform and still get paid.

Carson

Reaction score
Not really a type of player you want coming into a team with a country club atmosphere. Sounds like a player that needs to be pushed to succeed since he doesn't seem to be self motivated. He won't be pushed here.
Yeah man. Did not work for Steele or Tyler Smith!

blueblood70

Reaction score
Bingo. Post of the day.

That’s the issue. Talent sure but Dallas is like soft serve ice cream 24/7. That’s a bad mix. Why not JPJ with that pick? A sure fire mauler at C for the next 10 years.
Tell me why he didn't go in the draft in the first round you're telling the Cowboys to do something the other teams also didn't do he's got red flags both with injury and there's some rumors he might have the big man on campus issues with his immaturity something happened at the senior bowl but there were other teams that needed centers that let him slide out of the first round I hope that answers your question but all the draft experts in here can you explain to me why you're not there in the draft rooms instead in here questioning everything this same kind of crap was said about Tyler Smith he wasn't even on anyone's radar this got an absolute a rating from all the draft experts post draft he was on our mock draft on a few mocks... So some people had this guy slotted in the first round we picked him at 29 and picked up a third round pick but the complaints keep coming but JPJ in my opinion yes would be a nice pic but there are a lot of question marks on him as well and there are five centers in this draft that are pretty good and three of them all are about on the same level we are gonna get one of them it wasn't a big miss and I believe there wasn't any pure sinners taken in the first round.. I didn't watch every pick but I believe that all five of the guys who are the best centers in college are still there... The Dallas Cowboys were not gonna pick one of them even at 24 there was only that one guy Barton that they had that they truly wanted but had four others and this was one of them.. This goes back to the Micah Parsons deal they had two cornerbacks also on their list Michael Parsons was there as well when things started falling in place they traded back got a third round pick and got Micah Parsons anyway and people questioned that you are questioning the real pros I realize they're not perfect and they make mistakes but they've been pretty dead on with their offensive line pickups even undrafted guys hell we got a couple guys that I trust right now that are on the roster that will develop in Hoffman and bass and Richards.... They needed to tackle they got a big tackle with a lot of upside he maybe somewhat green but he was a right tackle only because his quarterback was left-handed he was protecting his blind side..

So even with some of them negative feedback people like to post that they got off the Internet there are equal amount of people that gave this guy an A for us picking him where we picked him...

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score
TYLER GUYTON, Oklahoma (6-7 ½, 330, 5.21, 1-2): Fourth-year junior. “If you watch the Florida State game he actually dominated (Jared) Verse,” one scout said. “He kicked his ***. Absolutely dominated him. But he only steps up for big games. He went down to the Senior Bowl and stepped up. Thing is, once he gets comfortable, once he gets complacent, he’s gonna shut it down a little bit it looks like. In the National Football League you have to step up to the challenge every week. He may be the biggest bust. He’s an athletic freak but he’s just a mental midget.” After two backup seasons at TCU, he made 14 of his 15 starts for the Sooners at RT. “Thing that pisses you off about him is he’s so dang inconsistent with his hand placement,” a second scout said. “He gets beat by guys he has no business losing to. In the run game, his temperament and finish are very inconsistent. He can do it. He just has to set his mind to it. But when he does he can get push and movement off the line of scrimmage. He can pull and get to the second level. It’s just a matter of (improving) character-wise to reach the next level.” Arms were 34 1/8, hands were 10 ¼. His vertical jump of 34 ½ inches led the top 20 tackles. “He’s talented but there’s some unknowns based on what you see on film,” a third scout said. “His technique just isn’t very good. Definitely a finesse style, but he can be a starting left tackle. Not a bad kid. You could really hit on him if you’re comfortable with the makeup.” From Manor, Texas.
I don’t give this team a pass on many things any more. Drafting and developing 1st round offensive lineman is one of them. They’ve earned it. I’ll wait a few years before busting on the Guyton pick.

Verdict

Reaction score
When does Dallas shy away from those types? He is a plug and play guy with dawg in him. Guyton may be fine but man there are legitimate concerns about that guy being a good football player. Freakish athlete sure but you see his tape? A lunger. Plays on his heels a lot. I was also shocked how often he is on the ground.

They will need to get his technique straightened out and I hope he decides he wants to be great.
A lunger? Does he have TB?