Bob Sturm: In 2019, Zeke had bad hands (pass drops)

aikemirv

Reaction score
PFR has us at 36. 6.2 drop percentage. 3rd worst in the NFL

I think drops is a stat you will see defer from source to source
Some sites are reporting these way behind you balls as drops and that has never been counted. These are not true drop stats. You go way down if you are looking at the NFL normalized drop stats.

These are not standard.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
If you watch the video posted in the first thread, it's easy to see that some of those were definitely on Elliott and some of those could have been thrown better. If you throw a high pass or a low pass to a wide-open player, you make the catch more difficult than it should be, especially for a running back. If you throw it to his back-shoulder as he's heading across the field where he has to reach back for it, that's a very difficult catch even for receivers.

This isn't said to bash Dak because he threw a lot of good passes last year. However, when we start assessing blame for "drops," we need to look at where the pass that was "dropped" was thrown. Not every pass that a receiver is able to get a hand, a finger or even two hands on should be a guaranteed catch.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
Dak would have the record if the team was not so bad at drops,i am glad they fired the WR coach,13 drops form Gallup is unacceptable.

The WR coach wasn’t the issue, it was Garret’s stench.

Lal got hired by Seattle, I expect their receiving corp to take a huge jump this year due to him.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke wasn't quite up to the standards in his catching teams expect from their RBs. I suspect Pollard will be the one to get some of the passes that Zeke would have been awarded otherwise. If Zeke shows in TC that he's sufficiently improved, maybe they won't be too tough on him. The new staff will surely do their best to coach Zeke up to overcome that limitation. With better coaching, it should be possible for him to improve.

Last edited:

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

:confused:

Zeke was among the Cowboys top 5 with most drops in 2019. His fellow most-targetted teammates didn't fare so well either. :confused:

For a team who led the league in dropped passes and missed out on the playoffs and division title by 1 game, I hope these drops get seriously addressed and fixed in 2020. Too much potential on this team to go 8-8 and be missing out on the playoffs.

Zeke has bad hands but all 3 WR's had more drops than him?

Ok. This was a dumb statement by Sturm.

First of all, Zeke had a drop rate of 5.6%. For a comparison, Saquon Barkley's was 5.5%.

Gurley 14.3%
Lindsay 12.5%
Cook 11%
Chubb 8.2%
Gordon 7.3%
Carson 6.4%
Fournette 6%

Bad hands? Stop it.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Zeke wasn't quite up to the standards in his catching teams expect from their RBs. I suspect Pollard will be the one to get some of the passes that Zeke would have been awarded otherwise. If Zeke shows in TC that he's sufficiently improved, maybe they won't be too tough on him. The new staff will surely do their best to coach Zeke up to overcome that limitation. With better coaching, it should be possible for him to improve.
Yes he was up to that standard. See my previous post.

superonyx

Reaction score
Zeke had 39 targets and 32 catches.

I'mn pretty sure with the damage he is capable of doing after the catch it more than makes up for him not catching 100% of his targets.

superonyx

Reaction score
Zeke has bad hands but all 3 WR's had more drops than him?

Ok. This was a dumb statement by Sturm.

First of all, Zeke had a drop rate of 5.6%. For a comparison, Saquon Barkley's was 5.5%.

Gurley 14.3%
Lindsay 12.5%
Cook 11%
Chubb 8.2%
Gordon 7.3%
Carson 6.4%
Fournette 6%

Bad hands? Stop it.
Nice post

They don't like facts.

Unfortunately we live in a tribal time where everyone only listens to the 'facts' that support what they already believe.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke had 39 targets and 32 catches.

I'mn pretty sure with the damage he is capable of doing after the catch it more than makes up for him not catching 100% of his targets.

Evidently, Sturm isn't a fan of Zeke's catching, for whatever reason. Let's see what the new staff thinks of his catching ability. With Pollard being available, he might get some targets that Zeke might have had if they think Pollard's better. I'd imagine we'll have to wait and see what develops. It's for sure that the passes that a RB gets would be easier than what the WRs get, since they're normally considerably longer and oftentimes harder thrown.

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
NimbleMelodicHoneycreeper-size_restricted.gif

gHfN1C9.mp4

The reporters for this team are borderline terrible at this point. Now Zeke has bad hands because he dropped a few? Does Gallup have bad hands since he was top 3 in the NFL in drops?

Career:
Zeke 243 targets (61 per season) 78% catch rate
Cook 128 targets (43 per season) 82% catch rate
Barkley 143 targets (72 per season) 74% catch rate
Fournette 174 targets (58 per season) 77% catch rate
off-season.

writers are bored.

Whyjerry

Reaction score

:confused:

Zeke was among the Cowboys top 5 with most drops in 2019. His fellow most-targetted teammates didn't fare so well either. :confused:

For a team who led the league in dropped passes and missed out on the playoffs and division title by 1 game, I hope these drops get seriously addressed and fixed in 2020. Too much potential on this team to go 8-8 and be missing out on the playoffs.

Ribs, Chicken, and fries are greasy. Clearly Zeke eats a lot of BBQ. Hands are probably greasy.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you watch the video posted in the first thread, it's easy to see that some of those were definitely on Elliott and some of those could have been thrown better. If you throw a high pass or a low pass to a wide-open player, you make the catch more difficult than it should be, especially for a running back. If you throw it to his back-shoulder as he's heading across the field where he has to reach back for it, that's a very difficult catch even for receivers.

This isn't said to bash Dak because he threw a lot of good passes last year. However, when we start assessing blame for "drops," we need to look at where the pass that was "dropped" was thrown. Not every pass that a receiver is able to get a hand, a finger or even two hands on should be a guaranteed catch.
All of those passes were more than catch-able unless you can't catch.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
All of those passes were more than catch-able unless you can't catch.

Don't agree. When you run a short outlet route and are expecting a throw around the chest or stomach area and the quarterback throws it over your head instead it isn't a simple matter of you can't catch. There is a quick adjustment that has to be made and it is not that easy to do especially when there isn't much time to adjust.

Can you make the catch? Sure. Should it be expected? No. It is on the quarterback for making a poor throw.