Bob Sturm: In 2019, Zeke had bad hands (pass drops)

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke has bad hands but all 3 WR's had more drops than him?

Ok. This was a dumb statement by Sturm.

First of all, Zeke had a drop rate of 5.6%. For a comparison, Saquon Barkley's was 5.5%.

Gurley 14.3%
Lindsay 12.5%
Cook 11%
Chubb 8.2%
Gordon 7.3%
Carson 6.4%
Fournette 6%

Bad hands? Stop it.
In the video clip Sturm provided, all of those passes Zeke dropped hit him right on his hands and were easily catchable. For at-the-time being the highest paid RB in NFL history last season, Zeke should have caught those very catchable passes (our WRs as well). Let's stop making excuses while pointing fingers at other teams' RBs. Let's worry about our team's players, hold them accountable and demand that they correct their mistakes and perform better, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE THE HIGHEST EVER PAID IN LEAGUE HISTORY FOR SAID POSITION.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Don't agree. When you run a short outlet route and are expecting a throw around the chest or stomach area and the quarterback throws it over your head instead it isn't a simple matter of you can't catch. There is a quick adjustment that has to be made and it is not that easy to do especially when there isn't much time to adjust.

Can you make the catch? Sure. Should it be expected? No. It is on the quarterback for making a poor throw.
Show the film where those "uncatchable passes" happened. Don't just talk. Show some proof.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In the video clip Sturm provided, all of those passes Zeke dropped hit him right on his hands and were easily catchable. For at-the-time being the highest paid RB in NFL history last season, Zeke should have caught those very catchable passes (our WRs as well). Let's stop making excuses while pointing fingers at other teams' RBs. Let's worry about our team's players, hold them accountable and demand that they correct their mistakes and perform better, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU'RE THE HIGHEST EVER PAID IN LEAGUE HISTORY FOR SAID POSITION.
I don't care how bad the drops were. He had 6 drops the entire year and he was one of the best pass catching RBs in the league. The idea that he has bad hands is not only easily refuted, it's plain stupid.

Also, if your microscope that you view players under grows more powerful based on salary (mine does too), you are in for a world of disappointment soon.

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't care how bad the drops were. He had 6 drops the entire year and he was one of the best pass catching RBs in the league. The idea that he has bad hands is not only easily refuted, it's plain stupid.

Also, if your microscope that you view players under grows more powerful based on salary (mine does too), you are in for a world of disappointment soon.
3 of those 6 drops were for potential 1st downs. Those are 3 drives stopped. Another drop could have led to a 3rd and 5 or less, instead of it being 3rd and long (10 yards), which ended in another failed drive. That's 4 failed drives because of 4 key drop passes out of 6 total drops. How are those drops not important/crucial/worth discussing?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Don't agree. When you run a short outlet route and are expecting a throw around the chest or stomach area and the quarterback throws it over your head instead it isn't a simple matter of you can't catch. There is a quick adjustment that has to be made and it is not that easy to do especially when there isn't much time to adjust.

Can you make the catch? Sure. Should it be expected? No. It is on the quarterback for making a poor throw.
Did you ever play receiver in high school or in your life because I did? Those catches would've been caught by ME. And I'm not or never have been a pro, although I played semi-pro football.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
If you consider yourself a receiver, the one thing you've dealt with growing up would be bad throws. I've seen Dak make uncatchable throws but those shown in the video were not. I'm not excusing any QBs bad throws and Dak has made plenty. But the ones I saw in that video were all catchable.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
3 of those 6 drops were for potential 1st downs. Those are 3 drives stopped. Another drop could have led to a 3rd and 5 or less, instead of it being 3rd and long (10 yards), which ended in another failed drive. That's 4 failed drives because of 4 key drop passes out of 6 total drops. How are those drops not important/crucial/worth discussing?
Dak threw uncatchable/bad passes on 14.8% of his throws. Please put together the clips of those throws and how many of those bad throws would have extended drives. Those must be worth discussing too, right?

Put together clips of Cooper and Gallup, guys literally paid because of their ability to make a catch. How many of their drops were drive killers?

Zeke performed like one of the best, most well rounded backs in the league, no matter what metric you weigh him by. This whole argument is ridiculous and I know you know it.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
When it comes to 2019, our receivers had bad hands. Way too many drops. It doesn't mean they haven't performed better before, but last year was a bad year for our receivers, especially when they led the league in dropped passes. Hoping our new WRs coach and new coaching staff get that corrected this year.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Did they offer to let you hang around and teach PE after they hired a new football coach?
I don't know what your problem is with me. Back off. You dont have the balls to talk to me like that in person so just shut the hell up.

Last edited:

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Zeke should have caught those and should be held accountable(especially by the coaching staff). But not sure you ever hold Dak accountable when he plays bad or causes drives to end because of poor passes or not hitting receivers in stride.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Zeke should have caught those and should be held accountable(especially by the coaching staff). But not sure you ever hold Dak accountable when he plays bad or causes drives to end because of poor passes or not hitting receivers in stride.
I've called Dak out on some of his blatantly errant throws, just like I've called him out recently for not signing a contract offer already.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

:confused:

Zeke was among the Cowboys top 5 with most drops in 2019. His fellow most-targetted teammates didn't fare so well either. :confused:

For a team who led the league in dropped passes and missed out on the playoffs and division title by 1 game, I hope these drops get seriously addressed and fixed in 2020. Too much potential on this team to go 8-8 and be missing out on the playoffs.

Oh the PAIN the PAIN....Zeke got his cash and this is driving you Dak-Zoids to extreme behaviors....
Talent ONLY gets the BIG BUCKS!!!!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh the PAIN the PAIN....Zeke got his cash and this is driving you Dak-Zoids to extreme behaviors....
Talent ONLY gets the BIG BUCKS!!!!
For the umpteenth time, just make sure you man up and honor your word to stay away for a whole year once Dak is signed to a big contract with the Cowboys.