Bob Sturm: In 2019, Zeke had bad hands (pass drops)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Don't know if they've always had this, but I just found Pro Football Reference's Advanced Statistics pages, and they're great.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/receiving_advanced.htm

They've got drop rate, which is much more relevant than drops.
Cobb and Gallup ruined the numbers. Both up around 10%. Bad news.
Pollard and Zeke around 5.
Cooper at 4.
Jarwin at 2.5.
Witten was 7.2. Brutal for a possession receiver.

Gallup and Cobb were 6 and 7 in the league. Witten 23. Two of those guys are no longer with the team.

Why would drop rate be better?

Percentages can be misleading when looking at small sample sizes.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Not sure why you want to make this about Romo. Every quarterback throws bad passes; some are caught, some are not. But I guess since you are superior to every NFL receiver since you never "dropped" a pass, you can't understand that.

In addition to not catching those difficult passes last year, our receivers also dropped some they should have caught, which led to a higher drop rate than is acceptable. I said in my first post that this doesn't mean Dak "wasn't so accurate last year." He just had some passes that were off (particularly throwing behind receivers crossing the field for some reason) and the receivers were unable to save him on them by making difficult catches. Take away the drops on good passes and those off passes likely wouldn't have mattered.
Already referenced that Dak through some bad passes but not in that video.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Why would drop rate be better?

Percentages can be misleading when looking at small sample sizes.

True, but counts are even worse when they're not scaled by opportunities. If you're thrown 3 balls and drop every one, that's a lot worse than 3 drops over a 100. Cooper's numbers get up there because he was thrown so many balls. His drop rate was fine.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
TDs - Matt 26 - Dak 30
INTs - Matt 14 - Dak 11
QBR- Matt 57.6 - Dak 70.2
RTG- Matt 92.1 - Dak 99.7
Drops- Matt 7 - Dak 24 ( Let's say that 7 of those passes were Dak's fault, It's still 7 to 17).

Why am I using Dak vs Matt Ryan? Because Dak threw 596 times. Matt threw it 616 times. Matt is the only player in the NFL, with THAT MANY ATTEMPTS, that surpassed Dak in completion percentage.

Everyone else in the league either threw for worse completion percentages than Dak, or didn't throw the ball as much as Dak did. You see, when you throw the ball a lot, the more you miss on passes and yet, Dak was 2nd in the league in "MADE PASSES" based on how many times he threw the ball.

And Matt was first, but as you can see, Dak completely owns Matt in all the most important QB stats on the board.

What am I saying here? And this goes for all the QB guru's out there and not just you.

Dak is only responsible for his part. He's responsible for
INTs - 11
TDs - 30
COMPLETION PERCENTAGES - 65.1
FUMBLES - 2
QBR - 70.2
RTG - 99.7 (4th in league with 16 games played)

He's not responsible for receivers dropping balls, for special teams issues, for defensive issues, for running issues, coaching issues, for the team not being ready, for the game plan, he's only responsible for the items I listed above.

He's also not responsible for useless penalties like false starts.The way the offense was designed, when you have a delayed cadence, (QB barking out directions over multiple seconds on the play clock) and your line isn't disciplined causing unnecessary penalties, this is a coaching issue.

Special teams::

Cowboys missed 10 field goals this year, the Super Bowl champs missed 4.
Dallas was 29th in punt return yards.
Average drive starting position Dallas was 30th, meaning Dallas always had to drive the length of the field. (Now how is this helping your offense, your team, your QB?)

DEFENSE:

Dallas 30th in INT - Super Bowl champs 5th in INT.
Dallas 19th in Sacks accumulated. (middle of the pack)
Dallas 15th in forced fumbles. (middle of the pack)
How is this helping your offense, your team, your QB?

COACHING:

Jason Garrett ranked 22nd best coach of last year. (https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-head-coach-rankings)
How can you be ranked that low, fired, and expected to go to the NFC championship game and/or Super Bowl?

SUMMARY:

If you want to look at the failures of this team, the QB is at the bottom of the list. You must first look at coaching. How would you guys rate Jason Garrett? By the way, he was fired after a decade, never made the conference finals, had the golden boy Tony Romo, never made it to the Super Bowl and had countless 8-8 seasons, with HOFers on his teams.

Look at the defense. With Dallas rated in the middle of the pack at getting to the QB, not causing turnovers, being 19th in defensive efficiency, and the special teams always giving Dallas a bad field to start with, along with one of the worst coaches in the NFL, Dak is the least of this teams problems. ALL QUARTERBACKS MISS PASSES, but obviously, Dak hit's far more passes than he misses as the stats bare out.

There are two quarterbacks with fewer INTs based on how many passes they attempted, and that is Tom Brady and Carson Wentz, but guess what? Dak had more TDs than both of them, and threw for FAR more yards than both of them, had better completion percentages than both of them.

I gave you 7 less drops based on Dak's inaccuracy, so what's your point? Who cares if those 7 passes were accurate or not, he was still an extremely accurate and a TOP QB IN THIS LEAGUE AND I'VE SHOWN YOU WHY.

And by the way, this post wasn't aimed directly at you, it's for all the QB whisperers on CZ. It's my one and only argument about this on CZ. Have your opinion, and I'll have mine based on FACT.

Dak will be paid
Jerry will pay it
Fans will whine

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
TDs - Matt 26 - Dak 30
INTs - Matt 14 - Dak 11
QBR- Matt 57.6 - Dak 70.2
RTG- Matt 92.1 - Dak 99.7
Drops- Matt 7 - Dak 24 ( Let's say that 7 of those passes were Dak's fault, It's still 7 to 17).

Why am I using Dak vs Matt Ryan? Because Dak threw 596 times. Matt threw it 616 times. Matt is the only player in the NFL, with THAT MANY ATTEMPTS, that surpassed Dak in completion percentage.

Everyone else in the league either threw for worse completion percentages than Dak, or didn't throw the ball as much as Dak did. You see, when you throw the ball a lot, the more you miss on passes and yet, Dak was 2nd in the league in "MADE PASSES" based on how many times he threw the ball.

And Matt was first, but as you can see, Dak completely owns Matt in all the most important QB stats on the board.

What am I saying here? And this goes for all the QB guru's out there and not just you.

Dak is only responsible for his part. He's responsible for
INTs - 11
TDs - 30
COMPLETION PERCENTAGES - 65.1
FUMBLES - 2
QBR - 70.2
RTG - 99.7 (4th in league with 16 games played)

He's not responsible for receivers dropping balls, for special teams issues, for defensive issues, for running issues, coaching issues, for the team not being ready, for the game plan, he's only responsible for the items I listed above.

He's also not responsible for useless penalties like false starts.The way the offense was designed, when you have a delayed cadence, (QB barking out directions over multiple seconds on the play clock) and your line isn't disciplined causing unnecessary penalties, this is a coaching issue.

Special teams::

Cowboys missed 10 field goals this year, the Super Bowl champs missed 4.
Dallas was 29th in punt return yards.
Average drive starting position Dallas was 30th, meaning Dallas always had to drive the length of the field. (Now how is this helping your offense, your team, your QB?)

DEFENSE:

Dallas 30th in INT - Super Bowl champs 5th in INT.
Dallas 19th in Sacks accumulated. (middle of the pack)
Dallas 15th in forced fumbles. (middle of the pack)
How is this helping your offense, your team, your QB?

COACHING:

Jason Garrett ranked 22nd best coach of last year. (https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-head-coach-rankings)
How can you be ranked that low, fired, and expected to go to the NFC championship game and/or Super Bowl?

SUMMARY:

If you want to look at the failures of this team, the QB is at the bottom of the list. You must first look at coaching. How would you guys rate Jason Garrett? By the way, he was fired after a decade, never made the conference finals, had the golden boy Tony Romo, never made it to the Super Bowl and had countless 8-8 seasons, with HOFers on his teams.

Look at the defense. With Dallas rated in the middle of the pack at getting to the QB, not causing turnovers, being 19th in defensive efficiency, and the special teams always giving Dallas a bad field to start with, along with one of the worst coaches in the NFL, Dak is the least of this teams problems. ALL QUARTERBACKS MISS PASSES, but obviously, Dak hit's far more passes than he misses as the stats bare out.

There are two quarterbacks with fewer INTs based on how many passes they attempted, and that is Tom Brady and Carson Wentz, but guess what? Dak had more TDs than both of them, and threw for FAR more yards than both of them, had better completion percentages than both of them.

I gave you 7 less drops based on Dak's inaccuracy, so what's your point? Who cares if those 7 passes were accurate or not, he was still an extremely accurate and a TOP QB IN THIS LEAGUE AND I'VE SHOWN YOU WHY.

And by the way, this post wasn't aimed directly at you, it's for all the QB whisperers on CZ. It's my one and only argument about this on CZ. Have your opinion, and I'll have mine based on FACT.

Dak will be paid
Jerry will pay it
Fans will whine

Try putting some time and effort into your posts.