CFZ Bob Sturm: Jerry Jones is the Stephen A Smith of NFL Executives

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For Booger, the Cowboys are mostly the conduit to celebrity and since he is such an egotist, small chance he backs off unless they stop putting his ugly face and voice on camera....and small chance of that because not only is he an egotist, he's a vindictive one as well.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Jerry doesn’t want to be President and GM of the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry wants to be king of the Dallas Cowboys.
^ This.

Jones buys the franchise. He is now the owner. He has full undisputed control over it.

Technically, corporations can have a President but it is not always required (and especially not for private ones). Jones names himself President. Overkill? Maybe but it is understandable. He already had absolute power over the franchise then added "more power" over it.

Finally, Jones names himself General Manager. He establishes "triple power" over his franchise. He had absolute approval and veto power as owner. He had absolute approval and veto power as owner and president. Then he gave himself absolute approval and veto power as owner, president and general manager.

That is king-like mentality through and through, which is a common personality trait of narcissists.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
For Booger, the Cowboys are mostly the conduit to celebrity and since he is such an egotist, small chance he backs off unless they stop putting his ugly face and voice on camera....and small chance of that because not only is he an egotist, he's a vindictive one as well.

I agree it really is just an egomaniacs toy.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As per usual, nothing personal in the following. You're one of those people that I like despite constantly having disagreements.
  • Bob, you are the Stephen A Smith of CowboysZone.
    • Your jealously about Jerry winning more Super Bowls than Tom and Tex is getting absurd.
    • I'm certain that you're been obsessed with Jerry since the day he fired Landry.
    • You could choose to create threads with actual content and have occasionally shown that you have that ability.
    • Instead, you insist on creating these threads that appeal to the low IQ segment of the fan base.
    • The segment of the fans base that has the emotional maturity of a 13 year old girl obsessed with boy bands.
I've seen Robert Craft on TV dozens of times including in the lockerroom.
  • There is an unending list of past stories about the antics of other NFL owners.
    • Craft
    • Irsay
    • Ford
    • Bidwill(s)
    • Mike Brown
    • Tom Benson
    • Al Davis and his son.
    • Georgia Frontiere
There was a story about Bidwill that he was obsessed with saving money to the point that we would walk around and turn off the lights and turn off the Air Conditioning in the lockerroom.

If you expand to all Pro Sports, then the stories really get crazy.
  • As long as you continue to obsess about Jerry, I'll continue to post the facts:
    • Jerry: 3 Super Bowl Wins
    • Tom & Tex: 2 Super Bowl Wins
That's called read it and weep buddy.
  • Bob Strum
    • Strum has been bitter ever since the Ticket was bumped off as the Cowboys flagship station in favor of The Fan.
    • He is not a Cowboys fan anyway.
    • He freely admits to being a Green Bay homer and named his kid after Brett Favre.
  • Side Note:
    • I was watching a foreign language series on Netflix that focused on a mining company.
    • The company name and owner's name was Favre. It was interesting to hear them pronounce it.
LOL. “Read it and weep buddy”? :laugh:

I find it interesting how obsessed you are with correcting my opinions. Please disagree. That’s welcomed. I have no problem with you seeing Jerry’s years as superior to the previous regime. No problem with that at all. I also find it interesting how important it is to you to jump on say that over and over and over.

And never think for a second that I don’t love all 5 SBs we’ve won, regardless of who’s in charge. I loved those 90s SBs. And Jerry definitely deserves lots of credit for hiring a hall of fame coach to build those teams. Kudos to Jerry. I would love to win another one with the Jones boys. But I don’t know why it bothers you so much to see a differing opinion about Jerry’s abilities as a GM. The evidence of the last two decades speak for themselves.

And for the record, in the last 9 days I have started 8 new threads. Only one was about Jerry and that’s this one. That makes 12.5% of my threads lately are centered on Jerry. Besides, it’s an opinion forum. Why do you care? No one made you post on this one.

X I support your opinions. You have some really good ones. You are a great fan with some great posts. Don’t agree with some, but that’s what this place is about. I’m not here to say “my opinions are better than anyone else’s”.

There is no one way to view our favorite team or it’s history.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL. “Read it and weep buddy”? :laugh:

I find it interesting how obsessed you are with correcting my opinions. Please disagree. That’s welcomed. I have no problem with you seeing Jerry’s years as superior to the previous regime. No problem with that at all. I also find it interesting how important it is to you to jump on say that over and over and over.

And never think for a second that I don’t love all 5 SBs we’ve won, regardless of who’s in charge. I loved those 90s SBs. And Jerry definitely deserves lots of credit for hiring a hall of fame coach to build those teams. Kudos to Jerry. I would love to win another one with the Jones boys. But I don’t know why it bothers you so much to see a differing opinion about Jerry’s abilities as a GM. The evidence of the last two decades speak for themselves.

And for the record, in the last 9 days I have started 8 new threads. Only one was about Jerry and that’s this one. That makes 12.5% of my threads lately are centered on Jerry. Besides, it’s an opinion forum. Why do you care? No one made you post on this one.

X I support your opinions. You have some really good ones. You are a great fan with some great posts. Don’t agree with some, but that’s what this place is about. I’m not here to say “my opinions are better than anyone else’s”.

There is no one way to view our favorite team or it’s history.
I do think there are some sent here to fight for Booger as I thought on DC.com as well. Wouldn't say they're family but one thing for certain, any person with an ego the size of Booger's cannot ignore anyone talking about him. I do not know if he ever comes here but I have little doubt he sends people.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do think there are some sent here to fight for Booger as I thought on DC.com as well. Wouldn't say they're family but one thing for certain, any person with an ego the size of Booger's cannot ignore anyone talking about him. I do not know if he ever comes here but I have little doubt he sends people.
On the old DC.com forum there were definitely signs that some people were there just to challenge anything that didn’t fit the party line.

I remember a couple of years ago a fan here on the Zone actually saying he strongly believed there were paid people here to tote the company line. Who knows? Even if there are, it just adds to the fun, lol.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
On the old DC.com forum there were definitely signs that some people were there just to challenge anything that didn’t fit the party line.

I remember a couple of years ago a fan here on the Zone actually saying he strongly believed there were paid people here to tote the company line. Who knows? Even if there are, it just adds to the fun, lol.

Probably have both..because lord knows we got some undercover enemy fans here..lol

Shane612

Reaction score
Jerry's real title is: Owner/President/GM/Director of Player-Personnel /Head Coach/Director of Public Relations.
Everyone else, below Stephen Jones, are people who'll "fall on the sword" for Jerry, if Jerry ask them to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

While I wholeheartedly agree on the old site owned by yours truly there was infiltration not as certain on this forum but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m not sure I’d agree it adds to the fun. Especially opposing fans crossed dressed as disgruntled Cowboy fans .

I’m fine with interaction with opposing fans wearing their colors but not if they are posing as our own.

That’s like an undercover double spy . Which we can’t really believe anything they say. All they do is add to mayhem and disruption wasting our time.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While I wholeheartedly agree on the old site owned by yours truly there was infiltration not as certain on this forum but it wouldn’t surprise me.

I’m not sure I’d agree it adds to the fun. Especially opposing fans crossed dressed as disgruntled Cowboy fans .

I’m fine with interaction with opposing fans wearing their colors but not if they are posing as our own.

That’s like an undercover double spy . Which we can’t really believe anything they say. All they do is add to mayhem and disruption wasting our time.
You owned the old site? :)

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yours truly meaning Jethro. A perfect example how words or meanings are misunderstood . Lol

I never would have dreamed that would have been interpreted any other way. Especially since I figured we all knew who owned it.
I was just pulling your chain Greggo, ;)

Brax

Reaction score
I was listening to Dallas sports radio host and writer for the Athletic Bob Sturm this afternoon and he was openly disgusted with the amount of talking Jerry Jones does weekly that ends up undermining the team.

In fact, Sturm went on to say that Jerry has basically become the Stephen A Smith of NFL executives. Jerry is on TV or radio a minimum of 4-5 times each week and his blustering, provocative and stupid comments are more like a carnival barker than a GM. He doesn’t even know the names of his players. It’s like Stephen A does- just try to be outrageous enough to get people to look and pay attention. It’s glorified click bait.

No other GM or sports owner does this. None of them hold pressers in the locker room after each game. Zero. Nada. He has 2 radio shows each week, has a pre-game interview before each game and a post game press conference after each game. And this morning through in an impromptu presser after his two previous radio shows earlier this week.

Why should anyone care? The only reason I care is all his stupid drivel undermines his head coach, his players and makes this team more like a circus than a real football team. The Dallas Cowboys players and coaches not only have to beat the opposing team, they have to overcome the absurdity of their owner/GM/president/hot dog selector and whatever other titles he holds.
You shouldn’t insult Steven A.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You shouldn’t insult Steven A.
Who knows what Stephen A is really like? He just plays a character who tries to get people to tune in by saying outrageous statements…wait did I say Stephen A or Jerry?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I was listening to Dallas sports radio host and writer for the Athletic Bob Sturm this afternoon and he was openly disgusted with the amount of talking Jerry Jones does weekly that ends up undermining the team.

In fact, Sturm went on to say that Jerry has basically become the Stephen A Smith of NFL executives. Jerry is on TV or radio a minimum of 4-5 times each week and his blustering, provocative and stupid comments are more like a carnival barker than a GM. He doesn’t even know the names of his players. It’s like Stephen A does- just try to be outrageous enough to get people to look and pay attention. It’s glorified click bait.

No other GM or sports owner does this. None of them hold pressers in the locker room after each game. Zero. Nada. He has 2 radio shows each week, has a pre-game interview before each game and a post game press conference after each game. And this morning through in an impromptu presser after his two previous radio shows earlier this week.

Why should anyone care? The only reason I care is all his stupid drivel undermines his head coach, his players and makes this team more like a circus than a real football team. The Dallas Cowboys players and coaches not only have to beat the opposing team, they have to overcome the absurdity of their owner/GM/president/hot dog selector and whatever other titles he holds.

Three playoff wins in the 2000s, but look at that Forbes franchise value! Good job, Jerry!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why? He’s one of several radio guys around here who take Jerry and Stephen to task daily. Sturm, Craig Miller, Corby Davidson, Ben Rogers, Skin Wade…just off the top of my head…all Dallas broadcasters who don’t buy any of Jerry’s snake oil. The days of journalists worrying about JJ are long gone.

Ever since the Cowboys and the Ticket parted ways of them as the flagship radio station.
They all have been haters regardless of how good or poor the team plays.

I am not saying they are wrong on any criticism, as it is warranted and needed. But the hate was still there for a while. I am not so sure now as I don't tune in as much.
I think I will to see how they are now.

Now they claim it was a mutual parting. But when Clear Channel or whatever it was bought out the Ticket. I think they decided they did not want to renew the contract with Jerry.
Something happened and some bad blood started. Though The Musers in the morning said, it was mutual, and they thought it was for the better. Though they did not say it, I do believe Jerry tried to control certain content about the team. As they could not truly speak their minds. As the station could and could not do certain things, and when they parted ways, they could get sponsors and ads they could not get with Jerry. If I remember all of that correctly.

When the Fan took over as the flagship station, they were horrible as to where the Ticket actually did a decent job at the time. The Fan had 2 guys as I think one moved to the area for the job. One was a Jets fan, the other A Washington fan. I still listened to the Ticket more than the Fan. Norm was great unless he went on a rant. I don't listen to the Fan as much either.

I used to listen most of the day at work, but since I am retired, I do other things in the mornings now. Though when Sturm and McDowel came on I tuned in for Cowboys talk, but I called them the time wasters. Every time they were to talk about the Cowboys, Dan McDowel, would say, well before we get to that,....and talk about something stupid, they got in 1 minutes of game talk. So I stopped listening to them.