Bob Sturm on Mazi Smith

glimmerman

Reaction score
They picked him because of what he could be not for what he is now. He will be ok to pretty good and solid. Maybe not worth the high round pick. I dont want to know who else was available at the time of the pick. He just is not the instant impact player we hoped. But not a bust yet…

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Not even close. Good grief.
You like the idea of them and fail to realize that neither has any superior athleticism or any history of production that would suggest they'll be difference makers at the NFL.

You have wishful thinking and act like people who think they are bad - because they are - are wrong lol

shabazz

Reaction score
Yall want Mazi to be a bust so bad lol. Truly a sickness. This fan sickness must be Jerry's fault too
I'm willing to be patient with Mazi, but why would any fan here want him to fail especially when the forum was so thrilled to finally see a DT selected in the 1st round?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
"#1 on Bruce Feldman's Freak List" was basically Mazi's entire resume at Michigan. He was a zero on the field, and he didn't back those numbers up with the little Pro Day testing he did.

Now one year later, he's done nothing as a rook, and we're back to bringing up the old magazine article again. I wonder if that's all Mazi will ever have.
Well, I think you will agree, some rookies need time.......nothing wrong with that. What were your expectations for him?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'm willing to be patient with Mazi, but why would any fan here want him to fail especially when the forum was so thrilled to finally see a DT selected in the 1st round?
That's the million dollar question.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm good with giving him another year with an offseason of training to see if he can make a leap, but he needs to leap a long ways. Like up a flight of stairs. We gave Dak 8 years as a 4th rounder, least we can do is give this kid 2 years before deciding he irrevocably sucks.

FoxF

Reaction score
I hated the pick and our whole draft last year, however, you have to give him three years to develop given the position he plays. That is kind of the traditional standard for his position.

starfan1

Reaction score
dont think anyone wants him to fail. I think its how horrible he looked and the fact that we left better palyers on the board. I hated the entire draft except the 3rd pick one of the worst in some time

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
A lot of you guys said the same about Taco! This guy will begin to peak in his 3rd year, then will blow UP his 4th season only to get a big pay day

stilltheguru

Reaction score
I'm good with giving him another year with an offseason of training to see if he can make a leap, but he needs to leap a long ways. Like up a flight of stairs. We gave Dak 8 years as a 4th rounder, least we can do is give this kid 2 years before deciding he irrevocably sucks.
What other contender puts this type of pressure on young players? Chiefs drafted Sky Moore and if you type his name in youtube you don't really see much. Type in mazi and you'll see a million tape breakdowns. Maybe the fan culture is as toxic as Jerry. Hmmmm

MikeT22

Reaction score
This entire post is so wrong. He wasn't expected to come in and look like Randy White in his prime.

If you did truly expected Mazi to come in and "contribute seriously in his first year" then your expectations were out of whack before the season even started.
Yeah, I doubt they expected Mazi to contribute seriously this year.

I’m sure he was a pick for the future because we all know how Jerry likes to plan ahead and we didn’t really need help this season

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They talked about this today on The Draft Show (Cowboys podcast) and nobody had an answer. Kind of touched on a new defensive philosophy with getting bigger/tougher with a new DC (we can hope!).
It seems to be his food intake right? Those guys eat a lot to keep that weight on. Are they sure he’s doing it?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
He just is not the instant impact player we hoped.
But that position (DT) usually takes time, especially drafting outside the top 15. Besides, don't expect big stat numbers. A lot of success from this position is cleaning up the dirty work ..... a lot of posters know this.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
What other contender puts this type of pressure on young players? Chiefs drafted Sky Moore and if you type his name in youtube you don't really see much. Type in mazi and you'll see a million tape breakdowns. Maybe the fan culture is as toxic as Jerry. Hmmmm
Think people had high expectations that he would come in and fix all the run game woes and free Micah up to not be doubled/tripled all the time. It was a lot to expect that it would be an immediate fix, however, he really didn't show much at all so I kind of get the disappointment too.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Think people had high expectations that he would come in and fix all the run game woes and free Micah up to not be doubled/tripled all the time. It was a lot to expect that it would be an immediate fix, however, he really didn't show much at all so I kind of get the disappointment too.
But that's a flaw in Dallas' process. Again, no contender does this. So......I guess that's why we aren't a contender :laugh: