Bob Sturm: "This time next week, Dak will have a deal"

Proof

Reaction score
For all the criticism he has attracted, it should be noted all good, so-so and bad predictions are guesses until proven otherwise. A good number of people, both inside and outside CowboysZone, make predictions often--probably more frequently than Sturm does.
yeah, the ridicule and dunking on is strange for something that was always, and clearly stated as, a guess.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
Exactly.
The tone of his articles used to at least hint at some of Jerry's roster building failures and objective critiques of coaches and players.

Now he's much more a toe the line company man.
Not to the Jerry nut hugging Spagnola extreme, but definitely a watered down version of his former self.
I'm sorry what articles are you reading?

I assume you don't subscribe to his substack, and he definitely wasn't that on The Athletic

75boyz

Reaction score
I'm sorry what articles are you reading?

I assume you don't subscribe to his substack, and he definitely wasn't that on The Athletic
If you think his present day writing is the same as his past, I differ in opinion.
No worries.

Cowboys!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Have people really labeled Lance a phenom? Wow…he’s NEVER demonstrated enough to be in that category. Being honest, in reference to football, that label doesn’t get tossed around that much - and shouldn’t.

You and I are in agreement on the team concept. I’ll never trash Dak as being the sole source for playoff failures (thus far) cuz this group, as currently constructed, has collectively crapped in their postseason bed.
Lance is a phenom.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
  1. a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.
    "the newest pop phenom"

DuncanIso

Reaction score
$100+ million in Dead cap left on Daks contract.

Why would Jerry add another $ to that mess?

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
Lance is a phenom.

Dictionary
Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

noun
INFORMAL•NORTH AMERICAN
  1. a person who is outstandingly talented or admired, especially an up-and-comer.
    "the newest pop phenom"
That definition proves my point.

If Lance was labeled as “outstandingly talented” by an evaluator at any point, it was simply a misevaluation due to being blinded by 6’4”, 227 lbs. of dual threat that you dreamed of being a cross between Josh Allen & Lamar Jackson.

Besides, could we truly label a QB that was ranked by Daniel Jeremiah, Todd McShay, and Mel Kiper as being slotted behind Trevor Lawrence and Zack Wilson as a phenom? Hell, Kiper put him behind Mac Jones! I’d like my phenom to remove all doubt when being compared on an individual basis and Lance didn’t do that. Was Zack Wilson labeled phenom as well?

You can locate plenty of “boom or bust” articles during the pre-draft window re: Lance citing his single full season (only one) as a starter, playing FCS competition while being on a juggernaut, vs. his athleticism and potential. Always the discussion circling back to “if” he gets drafted by a team that will allow him to use his athleticism. He has the measurables part of being a phenom, but not the other part, which is probably more crucial - the football IQ/intangibles part. He hasn’t demonstrated this half of the equation, and at this point, he most likely never will.

In general, football is such a team game that the phenom tag is difficult to hand out given the nature of the reliance on your teammates. I would label a phenom someone like a young Tiger Woods while at Stanford, Serena Williams on her way up (Venus told the tennis world Serena was on her way), and some time ago I began watching the highly touted and unhittable Shakur Stevenson. All solo sports.

It's subjective, and I mean no disrespect, but those that labeled Lance as phenom were painting with a much broader brush than what I have in my arsenal.