Recap: Bobby Belt on Kelvin Joseph

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The whispers started last year about some of the attitude issues he had. And clearly his issues were front and center in college when he left one program over some maturity issues and then, for all intents and purposes, was told to opt out the rest of his one season at UK. I think the Cowboys just hoped he would work through his maturity issues as he started to play more. The fact that it's now being reported the team had some issues with him last year should surprise ZERO people.

Oh and let's not forget his sense of judgment that was questioned in college showed itself in Dallas when he was a passenger in a car with a group of guys where one fired gun shots from the car.

So no, I don't think people are unfairly judging Joseph at this point. Now before people lose it, no I don't think he should be cut, no I don't think he's a wasted pick (at least not yet), yes I think he can still be a productive player.

My point was whispers are enough for those who have it in for someone already. Hey, if he's verifiably screwed up on his own as he has then fine but the guy couldn't sneeze without covering it up before he was labeled a "bad guy" before any of the recent stuff even went down. People had it in for him solely because he was connected to rap. It's how people get wrongfully convicted for stuff they didn't do. Long rap sheet, he must have done it. Same here. As I said, if people want to believe it, "reports" are enough no matter who's saying it. People swore all up and down there was some "tape" on Dez back in the day, didn't they? Why? Because people wanted to believe it. Then for all the hullabaloo about not trusting the media after that, look at where we are again. And the band played on.

Last edited:

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Right. People are mad because they've stayed out of trouble their whole lives and now Kelvin Joseph, who was caught up in something they've never been caught up in, gets to be millionaire on their favorite team and they don't get to live that kind of life, so it irritates them to see someone like Joseph have more success than they've had in life.

This dynamic is why Dez was such a lightning rod to many around here. They so wanted to look down on him but couldn't in the bank account department so ... rage. Lol. This is also the crux of why fans are 99% on the side of owners when it comes time for a player to get a big contract. Can't live it, well then hope to deny anyone else from having it, even though they're powerless to do anything at all except deny the player their love, lol. So they do that. I'm sure players wipe their tears with crisp $20 bills at night just thinking about that.

Haimerej

Reaction score
Runny, maybe it may be true for a handful of people, but he should have said as much about a few people, not make it seem as if everyone or most everyone feels that way.

I'll add-

It's a poisoning of the well in a discussion. It's a generalization which could be made on most topics (people have bias). It's a way to dismiss opinions regardless of reason because some know the real reason.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
wonder if he gets one of those ankle bracelets will they let him wear that during the games?
:lmao2::clap:
I'll add-

It's a poisoning of the well in a discussion. It's a generalization which could be made on most topics (people have bias). It's a way to dismiss opinions regardless of reason because some know the real reason.
I feel as though you're looking at a crystal ball when typing that. Well said.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Barmore was picked by Pats…in round 1 ?

Round 2. We reportedly tried to trade up ahead of where he was taken to draft Tyson Campbell, who was taken with the 33rd pick. Barmore was drafted 38th. We were dead set on taking a corner after missing out on the top two in the first round.

I have no problems with Joseph yet. I certainly wish he wasn't tied to the murder in anyway and that there were not maturity concerns, but I can't say he won't work out to be a good player for us. I do have a problem with that fact that we put ourselves in a position where we felt we had to take a corner in those first couple of rounds. We would have missed out on Parsons if either Surtain or Horn had been available because corner was a greater need after letting Awuzie walk in free agency and not replacing him.

Poor free agency management is the reason we drafted Joseph. And if it ends up biting us, that's the problem, not who we selected, but the process that led to the selection.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Jerry has given players so many chances since he purchased the Cowboys. Those Superbowl teams were filled with crime ritten players. And look at the outcome. Three championships.

Despite being a passenger in a vehicle during a drive-by killing. Kelvin was given another chance to make it in the NFL. Hopefully he'll learn from this as the players from those 90's squads have.

You are who you hang out with!

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
My point was whispers are enough for those who have it in for someone already. Hey, if he's verifiably screwed up on his own as he has then fine but the guy couldn't sneeze without covering it up before he was labeled a "bad guy" before any of the recent stuff even went down. People had it in for him solely because he was connected to rap. It's how people get wrongfully convicted for stuff they didn't do. Long rap sheet, he must have done it. Same here. As I said, if people want to believe it, "reports" are enough no matter who's saying it. People swore all up and down there was some "tape" on Dez back in the day, didn't they? Why? Because people wanted to believe it. Then for all the hullabaloo about not trusting the media after that, look at where we are again. And the band played on.
To me, it seems like the truth is slowly trickling out from what the team and staff knew and experienced all of last season. They did a decent job keeping things quiet if you ask me. It's not difficult to see he has character issues when he made the decisions he did. Pretty much like any young person without guidance.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
To me, it seems like the truth is slowly trickling out from what the team and staff knew and experienced all of last season. They did a decent job keeping things quiet if you ask me. It's not difficult to see he has character issues when he made the decisions he did. Pretty much like any young person without guidance.

We really don't know if no one's ever out and out talked about it. I'm just saying he never has gotten the benefit of the doubt. When he had an excused absence from practice during training camp last year people acted like he was trading stolen puppies on the black market. Dude had a funeral to attend from what I remember. But all that talk had to do with what people had already made up in their minds about him.

Last edited:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
We really don't know if no one's ever out and out talked about it. I'm just saying he never has gotten the benefit of the doubt. When he had an excused absence from practice during training camp last year people acted like he was trading stolen puppies on the black market. Dude head a funeral to attend from what I remember. But all that talk had to do with what people had already made up their minds about.
Sources close to the team have spoken about him not being a team player and was awful last season. Beyond the absence and the murder case. They were actually doing a pretty good job keeping things quiet. His job is football, if he's not taking it serious enough who wants to give him benefit of the doubt? He's made his own bed.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Sources close to the team have spoken about him not being a team player and was awful last season. Beyond the absence and the murder case. They were actually doing a pretty good job keeping things quiet. His job is football, if he's not taking it serious enough who wants to give him benefit of the doubt? He's made his own bed.

Again, more "sources." The same sources that said Dak wanted $40M a year in his first go round of contract negotiations? I mean, if there aren't out and out quotes, we just don't know. And yes, his job is football and he played pretty well at the end of the season coming back from injury. He clearly put in the work before and during that time. But again, nothing will help once the preconceived is born. Hope we can get some good years out of him.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Again, more "sources." The same sources that said Dak wanted $40M a year in his first go round of contract negotiations? I mean, if there aren't out and out quotes, we just don't know. And yes, his job is football and he played pretty well at the end of the season coming back from injury. He clearly put in the work before and during that time. But again, nothing will help once the preconceived is born. Hope we can get some good years out of him.
No, not the same. You seem to want to connect dots that aren't there. This is fairly common knowledge and actions speak louder than words. I trust people in their locker rooms over fans that are disconnected.
I hope he plays great and I will always hope a person betters themselves. But some people are just not reachable.

Creeper

Reaction score
I have no idea who Bobby Belt is or what connections he has with the Cowboys but Joseph was playing on special teams last year and he got some reps at CB. If he was in the dog house why was he even active? The Cowboys might have been a little disappointed in him but I think the dog house is probably too strong for how they really felt. He would not be the first rookie to come in a little immature. Zeke has had his escapades too.

conner01

Reaction score
Those things do overcome a lot of shortcomings, but it can be harder to measure if they are enough to succeed on this level.
Very hard
Hard to determine if a guy plays for the love of them game when he is also about to get paid huge money

MarcusRock

Reaction score
No, not the same. You seem to want to connect dots that aren't there. This is fairly common knowledge and actions speak louder than words. I trust people in their locker rooms over fans that are disconnected.
I hope he plays great and I will always hope a person betters themselves. But some people are just not reachable.

No, I just like dots that are verified. What staff or players on this team are saying anything bad about him or his work ethic/preparedness? We saw him show up on the field with his play. That has to come from somewhere.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
He still may. You can't listen to the holier than thou types who want to arrest the guy for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I don't even know who Bobby Belt is. And why would the Cowboys give him so much information about how they "feel" about Joseph, one way or the other?
bobby belt is "supposed" to be an insider but i think he's just as much as an insider as jane slater is... which means he likely has a bum or two on the team that will feed him information...i get all the posts labelling him bust but if they didn't believe in his athletic ability i think he would have been cut by now...his improvement over the last couple of games last season was definetly something that popped out to me on the screen and I really hope this was a learning moment for a young man who can take this opportunity one step further