Recap: Bobby Belt on Kelvin Joseph

MarcusRock

Reaction score
The mob mentality being displayed in this thread...it's concerning. Are we just going to believe everything some random dude says because it fits a profile we've been given? I'm more bothered by this than anything that was said about Kelvin Joseph.

That's how people roll. They'll tell you up and down never to trust the media until the media reports something they want to believe, then it's "the truth the other media has been trying to keep from me." As soon as it was known Joseph had a rap interest, they've been wanting to bury the guy from Day 1 because if their own personal biases. This is how prejudice works. The person never gets the benefit of the doubt.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A lot of warning flags were there pre draft, they chose to ignore it.

that does happen everywhere, but happens more often here, when the GM and VP of player personnel have 0 accountability or fear of losing their jobs.
This is the simplest and most accurate explanation for the results of the last 26 years.

conner01

Reaction score
from my understanding, it was more than just SPARQ and workout numbers; as Joseph turned in an impressive outing performance
vs eventual Heisman Trophy Winner 'Bama WR Devontae Smith, ..and KJ had 4 INTs his final year in college.
i can see why they risked the gamble to take him in the 2nd round.
Actual accomplishments are really important
But it sound like he’s a bit like hill and to some extent taco
They are immature and a bit full of themselves
Some of these guys just don’t get just how different the nfl is from college. You can be the best player in college at your position but you have to get much better when you get in the nfl. You have to work hard on your body, study and perfect your technique
Because at this level everyone is like a college all star team
Hopefully the light comes on and he gets serious
It appeared last year hill kinda started getting it so for him I think if he can stay healthy, he can have a good year. Just in time to become a free agent lol

Sydla

Reaction score
Not surprising to hear. I had a feeling something was up since the Cowboys have stayed very quiet about Kelvin Joseph for the past year. What a huge mistake this pick was. Another super costly 2nd round pick gone to waste. Who made this choice???

Exactly. This was his MO in college.

Now, sometimes guys grow out of this. The Cowboys obviously think he was worth the risk given his talent and skill set, which is arguably very elite. But seems to me the Cowboys don't actually fare well in these types of situations where they bank on athleticism and think they can help a kid mature.

conner01

Reaction score
That's how people roll. They'll tell you up and down never to trust the media until the media reports something they want to believe, then it's "the truth the other media has been trying to keep from me." As soon as it was known Joseph had a rap interest, they've been wanting to bury the guy from Day 1 because if their own personal biases. This is how prejudice works. The person never gets the benefit of the doubt.
The fact he did nothing last year kinda lends credibility to the story
But even if true it doesn’t have to be the end of his story
He just needs to grow up and see that his future is in his hands
Some do, some never do
Hopefully he does

Sydla

Reaction score
I’m glad the FO decided to force the pick at CB because they were determined to get one ASAP.

even though there were better players just sitting there on the board.

This is where their FA strategy sucks despite what the homers say. They, often times, end up forcing a prime pick because they have a clear hole and ignore it in FA thinking the draft solves their problem. Taco Charlton was another.

Let's also note that Smith, our first round pick, was also kind of a need pick since they let Williams walk and signed no one along the OL in free agency. Theyy had to come out of the 1st or 2nd round with a starting caliber OG.

phildadon86

Reaction score

Now, sometimes guys grow out of this. The Cowboys obviously think he was worth the risk given his talent and skill set, which is arguably very elite. But seems to me the Cowboys don't actually fare well in these types of situations where they bank on athleticism and think they can help a kid mature.
The Cowboys organization needs to worry about when they draft a mature player who then turns into a knucklehead because of the culture in Dallas then worry about helping non mature players.

That is the problem with this organization. They dont even realize the players they draft with a good head on their shoulders TURN INTO problems because of the lack of ACCOUNTABILITY. This same organization is now supposed to be trusted to help a problem child mature?

Good luck

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
@Dak_Attack_09 remember when you said lol sorry I am actually laughing out loud right now that the reason Kelvin Joseph wasn't lining up against Lamb was because LOL he was so good that he would make Lamb look bad ?

HAHAHAHAHA.

Bobby Belt is a clout chaser with false narratives. If he is a bad “football” player why isn’t he cut?

If they line-up Bossman will clamp up CD sheep.

conner01

Reaction score

Gambling on 4th or later picks doesn’t bother me
The top 3 rounds and especially the top 2 are not the place to gamble even if it’s a guy with great skills and traits

phildadon86

Reaction score
Bobby Belt is a clout chaser with false narratives. If he is a bad “football” player why isn’t he cut?

If they line-up Bossman will clamp up CD sheep.
LOL. Only thing Bossman is lining up in is a police lineup.

He isnt cut because he isnt costing them anything.

Why was Bradley Anae cut? The next Lawrence Taylor right? LOL.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
He was in the doghouse so much, he got the amount of reps most rookie corners would get in his situation. And played pretty well.

Sydla

Reaction score

The whispers started last year about some of the attitude issues he had. And clearly his issues were front and center in college when he left one program over some maturity issues and then, for all intents and purposes, was told to opt out the rest of his one season at UK. I think the Cowboys just hoped he would work through his maturity issues as he started to play more. The fact that it's now being reported the team had some issues with him last year should surprise ZERO people.

Oh and let's not forget his sense of judgment that was questioned in college showed itself in Dallas when he was a passenger in a car with a group of guys where one fired gun shots from the car.

So no, I don't think people are unfairly judging Joseph at this point. Now before people lose it, no I don't think he should be cut, no I don't think he's a wasted pick (at least not yet), yes I think he can still be a productive player.

Last edited:

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
I have no idea why the team takes these gambles on injured players or players with character concerns in the 2nd round. We passed on Asante Samuel Jr, a proven team player with an excellent track record and NFL pedigree in his bloodline, for Joseph. Why?

phildadon86

Reaction score
I have no idea why the team takes these gambles on injured players or players with character concerns in the 2nd round. We passed on Asante Samuel Jr, a proven team player with an excellent track record and NFL pedigree in his bloodline, for Joseph. Why?
They passed on JOK too. They NEEDED a CB thats why.

This is what happens when your refuse to use FA. You are forced to reach.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
sad thing is i was hoping he'd be the one to take a leap on the defense this year and start...smh lol

He still may. You can't listen to the holier than thou types who want to arrest the guy for just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And I don't even know who Bobby Belt is. And why would the Cowboys give him so much information about how they "feel" about Joseph, one way or the other?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Who knows? Maybe the shooting incident has made him take a hard look at his life. We can only hope.

Right.

They have counselors for this kind of thing. From what it looks like, he's really just a product of his environment.

He just needs to learn how to use the head on his shoulders.

He needs a mentor within the staff and on the team, like we've had with other players in the past.