Twitter: Bobby Belt Questions Whether Tyler Guyton is NFL Ready

_sturt_

Reaction score
This is from Bobby Belt........a bit premature IMO. Let's see where the kid is after preseason.

Two concerns.

1. Contrary to the seeming implication, Bobby Belt's position was the default position in the run up to the draft, and immediately following the draft. Almost no one made the claim that Guyton was going to be plug-and-play from the very start of the season. It has only been... strangely enough, since Edoga took all the starter snaps in OTAs.. recently that there's been this idea gain traction that Guyton should be expected to be your #1 in Cleveland.

Nothing's changed, though. There is no reason to believe the earlier assessment was anything but spot-on. Yet, at least.

2. Wait to see where Guyton is after preseason???

Surely not.

Let's get a credible alternative option in the barn. Let Guyton have time to develop at LT. Let Guyton have some genuine competition so that he can earn the job, not be handed it.

Edoga isn't my idea of "credible alternative," though certainly I realize he might just have to do.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Yes. At LG. Its like y'all want to forget how many mistakes and penalties he got at LT. His biggest issue in college was penalties which is why he was projected as a guard in the first place.

Stop being cheap and go sign a decent LT while Guyton learns.
lol the front office isn’t going to stop being cheap come on man.

Whoever plays LT is on the roster now.

That means IF Guyton isn’t ready it’s one of the following:

Edoga
Richards
Tyler at Lt and somebody else at LG.

That’s pretty much it.

I personally don’t care as I don’t think
The cowboys are going to win a title anyway.

But I’m just saying. The idea of Tyler moving to LT if needed doesn’t scare me it would only be temporary anyway.

I view this as a transition year. Turning over the roster and putting in new foundational pieces.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
I hate the idea of moving an All Pro guard to tackle because the FO decided that drafting another project in the first round was a good idea.
They originally drafted Tyler Smith to be the heir apparent to Tyron Smith at LT. He showed during his rookie year that he was more than up to the task. No reason to think he couldn't be all-pro at tackle. It's much easier to find a LG than LT. And if the purpose is to put the best 5 guys out there, I would have no issue with Tyler at LT and sliding either Bass or Beebe at the LG spot.

75boyz

Reaction score
They originally drafted Tyler Smith to be the heir apparent to Tyron Smith at LT. He showed during his rookie year that he was more than up to the task. No reason to think he couldn't be all-pro at tackle. It's much easier to find a LG than LT. And if the purpose is to put the best 5 guys out there, I would have no issue with Tyler at LT and sliding either Bass or Beebe at the LG spot.
Yep.
This.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Not every 1st rd lineman is plug and play, we have been spoiled in their early success. If he needs development time, that’s is perfectly fine.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You missed the massive mistakes he made at LT that he doesn’t make at LG. He literally was the most penalized player in college when he got drafted. Being at guard hides those warts.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
You missed the massive mistakes he made at LT that he doesn’t make at LG. He literally was the most penalized player in college when he got drafted. Being at guard hides those warts.
He was probably the best rookie LT that season. There really wasn't enough penalties for anyone to think he had an issue. And that was after spending all of training camp and preseason as the LG. He's playing LG because he's so powerful in the run game and the opportunity to get a LT in this draft. Easily could have ended up differently.

75boyz

Reaction score
He was probably the best rookie LT that season. There really wasn't enough penalties for anyone to think he had an issue. And that was after spending all of training camp and preseason as the LG. He's playing LG because he's so powerful in the run game and the opportunity to get a LT in this draft. Easily could have ended up differently.
Yep.

nhcowboysfan

Reaction score
Which was to be expected at the time given his limited experience. With experience comes better technique. Not many rookie OT's come in and immediately shut down the top edge rushers. The point is that he showed very early a skill set that indicated that he could emerge as one of the top tackles in this league.

Aven8

Reaction score
He was a a RT at OU and had people that questioned his work ethic, Not sure why fans thought he would come in and seemlessly take over LT from a future HOFer without serious growing pains.
This. They were taking OT whomever fell. So telegraphing…..

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
He was a a RT at OU and had people that questioned his work ethic, Not sure why fans thought he would come in and seemlessly take over LT from a future HOFer without serious growing pains.
It is important to note, though, that he was a RT because he was protecting the QB's blindside. As a former tight end, he should have the feet and movement skills to play LT, it is just a question of whether he can transition to that side while also needing to work on his technique.

BTW, where are you getting that his work ethic is in doubt? Everything I read indicates that he has a good work ethic. His technique problems seem to stem from the fact that he hasn't been playing tackle that long. He switched to the position after transferring to Oklahoma.

From CowboysWire:

He grew up focused on basketball and shifted to the gridiron so late that he got next to no scholarship offers. Even once he got to college, it took a while to find a position; his first start came at TCU as an H-back/tight end.

It wasn’t until he transferred to Oklahoma that he became a true offensive lineman, and then over his two years in Norman, he made just a handful of starts.

RS12

Reaction score
It is important to note, though, that he was a RT because he was protecting the QB's blindside. As a former tight end, he should have the feet and movement skills to play LT, it is just a question of whether he can transition to that side while also needing to work on his technique.

BTW, where are you getting that his work ethic is in doubt? Everything I read indicates that he has a good work ethic. His technique problems seem to stem from the fact that he hasn't been playing tackle that long. He switched to the position after transferring to Oklahoma.

From CowboysWire:
Ian Fitzsimmons who is as well connected as anybody in college football said on draft night he was not a Guyton fan. Said many of his contacts told him work ethic and not taking responsibility were issues.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I agree with him.

My opinion remains.
Left to right Tyler Smith, Bass, Beebe/Hoffman competition winner, Zack and Steele.

This totally upsets the Cowboys past standard operating procedure of 1st rd olinemen picks being rookie starters.

I question both the kid's lack of experience, maturity and Solari's ability to coach him up to a competent standard by week one.

Yep, he's an expensive, draft-wise anyway, swing tackle to me this year.
He's not ready for the starting dlines of the NFC East or AFC North.
His daily beat downs by Micah in camp will not serve as an iron sharpens iron catalyst but more take away the confidence of a kid not quite ready for prime time yet.

Remember Tyron getting embarrassed by Micah in camp last year?
Yeah, just not so sure this kid's ready for that kinda indoc to the NFL.

jmo
Agreed that if Bass continues to impress the coaches, and Guyton disappoints, that lineup is probably a go.

If Guyton is a dud, I‘m rooting for Beebe to win just so can get some value. Two years in a row of first round spoiled beef on the lines.