Twitter: Bobby Belt Questions Whether Tyler Guyton is NFL Ready

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Ian Fitzsimmons who is as well connected as anybody in college football said on draft night he was not a Guyton fan. Said many of his contacts told him work ethic and not taking responsibility were issues.
OK. Thanks for that. I didn't see that in any of the reviews I read concerning his play. Like I said, the team praised his work ethic ... but that's what teams do.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Tyler will be the LG.

Guyton will be ready at some point this year. If he isn't ready on week one there are other LT's on the roster.
There is "other" LTs ... Richards. If we're starting Edoga at LT, we deserve what we get. I don't mind him as a backup G or even RT, but he's proven over and over that he's a problem spot at LT.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
OK. Thanks for that. I didn't see that in any of the reviews I read concerning his play. Like I said, the team praised his work ethic ... but that's what teams do.

Coach's Corner: Oklahoma OL coach discusses Guyton

Q: When he made the transition from TCU to Oklahoma, what was the mentality he showed early on in Norman to prove himself on the field?

A: Well, he had to mature a lot when he got here and grow up, and he did. From the first time that he got here to the day he left – and I've told a lot of people – it's really kind of an astronomical change. He was a young kid, had some immaturity, didn't know how to work. And that's part of your job as a coach, help them understand what the standard is of how we work as an o-line here at Oklahoma and the expectations and all of those things. I thought it was OK his first year, but then his second year here, it was really good. He started to learn and gain confidence. He worked hard to get to the point where he's at right now. I think he's still got a long ways to go. He started 14 games and he's really played o-line for three years. The sky is the limit for him, and I know that's cliche but this guy can be as good as he wants. I've seen the growth and maturity that leads me to believe that he's going to be a damn good player in the NFL.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
There's an interview back a month or so on the team website where one of his coaches said that was an issue when he first showed up but that it wasn't an issue (I'm thinking the last couple of years)
I'm curious if he went to Oklahoma thinking he was going to still be a tight end. That could mess with your attitude if you go somewhere and your coaches tell you we're going to make you an offensive lineman. I figure he already knew what they wanted before transferring, though.

Rayman70

Reaction score
It will be sorted out. Thats why every team has training camp guys. To get things sorted and fined tuned. I feel sorry for anyone getting all worked up over what a radio guy says. Especially when he has never been involved in the team building process day in day out. BOBBY aka Booby is NOT in the loop on anything inside the building, regardless of what he tries to tell the fans. I like Broaddus better, because he HAS been involved in team building, hands on. That said, even he has to be taken with a grain of salt. The players and coaches dunno what they are yet, so how the heck can some guy on the radio know? Thats why I can't stand these content creators and guys that say crap without any proof. Common sense is needed. Lets wait and see.

kskboys

Reaction score
We knew that Guyton was a bit of a project and would likely take 1-2 years to reach his full potential.

We just need him to be a top 20 type tackle and do not get Dak killed.
Yup. The non-project OLT's were taken much earlier.

How long will it take til he's ready? Hard to say, some players don't take long at all, some take 2-3 years. I have no idea which one of these Guyton is.

kskboys

Reaction score
Projects are not what you want with top pick
Yes and no. When it gets to the late 1st round, you often have a choice between a lower level player or a player w/ a higher ceiling(potential). It's not simple at all as to which to take. Tyron Smith was a project. Ware was a bit of a project.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yes and no. When it gets to the late 1st round, you often have a choice between a lower level player or a player w/ a higher ceiling(potential). It's not simple at all as to which to take. Tyron Smith was a project. Ware was a bit of a project.
Great point. People are very quick to dismiss poor rookie seasons and preach patience not realizing that many ‘projects’ came out strong their first year. Demarcus Ware had a lot of question marks if he could perform at NFL level coming from Troy State but we knew from year one he was a great draft pick. No rocket science, it is what it is. First round picks shouldn’t take years to develop to a point where they are startable. That should be your UDFAs and late picks like Romo.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm curious if he went to Oklahoma thinking he was going to still be a tight end. That could mess with your attitude if you go somewhere and your coaches tell you we're going to make you an offensive lineman. I figure he already knew what they wanted before transferring, though.
The TE thing at TCU is overblown. He was a underclassman LT at that point and volunteered to play TE because they were short at the position. Much like when teams use OL at TE in short yardage situations. It may of slowed his progression but it didn't make him not an OL.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Projects are not what you want with top pick
No team has 29 players with first round grades. So they are automatically drafting a player with 2nd round grade at the end of the first round. While it would be nice to draft a walk in starter that late, it's just not realistic. Each player has something wrong that keeps them from being a top 10-15 pick. In Guytons case, it's just inexperience and he is somewhat changing positions. The good news is his short learning curve will pay off big time for years and years.