Bobby Wagner and some DT now

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Do it now!! 2/18 for Wagner with first year all guaranteed- I need violence at lb. Lve is too slow and soft!!!

And get me some fat mean guys to stuff up the middle!!!!!
We resigned LVE who is strictly anMLB, so can Wagner move to the outside? If we sign Wagner then we are probably more of a 3-4 defense with Parsons playing outside, which is better for him anyway given playing DE wore him out. He can then do what he does which is rush the QB from standpoint position which is better for him long term.

We can then be a true hybrid 4-3, 3-4 defense depending on what we do with Parsons.

That would dictate having a big NT to man the middle as I think Osa, Armstrong can play 3-4 DEs. Lawrence would be the odd man out a
3-4 DE As henis purely a 4-3 DE and only on the right side.

Majic

Reaction score
We resigned LVE who is strictly anMLB, so can Wagner move to the outside? If we sign Wagner then we are probably more of a 3-4 defense with Parsons playing outside, which is better for him anyway given playing DE wore him out. He can then do what he does which is rush the QB from standpoint position which is better for him long term.

We can then be a true hybrid 4-3, 3-4 defense depending on what we do with Parsons.

That would dictate having a big NT to man the middle as I think Osa, Armstrong can play 3-4 DEs. Lawrence would be the odd man out a
3-4 DE As henis purely a 4-3 DE and only on the right side.
This is exactly what I think we should be doing.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do you remember last year when LVE was out how the run defense suffered greatly, as much as people like to complain about LVE, he gets the defensive line lined up in the correct gaps and calls the defense..
I have stated for twenty years plus and agree with many that have stated here that Dallas needs a massive Defensive tackle that requires double teams to help the run game defense but time and time again the brain trust running this gong show wants versatile defensive linemen along the defensive line instead which escapes me...
LVE gets other players to the right gaps, but he seldom fills them. His high tackle rate is reminiscent of another former player.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Wagner has been a great HOF linebacker. Everything you read about him is that he’s definitely slower and it has affected his play, but he still makes plays with his knowledge and instincts. I’d love to have him for a year, but he’s not bringing any violence.
Based upon principals of war: Wagner is ... where he is supposed to be; when he is supposed to be; with what he is supposed to have. He's also a leader in the field of conflict. Oh, he is still quality - top shelf- and not just a stereotype for someone to throw around and tap rings about.

Jipper

Reaction score
Per Broadus sounds like we're pretty unlikely for Wagner at this point...and not much out for DTs either.

Hope we resign Hankins and then it's on to yhe draft, possibly get a couple of FA stragglers or late cuts

DRella

Reaction score
Would be nice if we can bring in another vet LB of some kind. I dont think Wagner is the piece though.

Cunnigham, Jack, Perryman, Barr or Morrow would be a nice add to the LB corps. Then you draft depth.

At DT, it needs to be Hankins coming back and draft in the first 2 rounds if one of the top become available.

Where I think we still have holes is at G, RB and TE. Which I think vets need to be brought in for depth. We cannot go forward without replacing McGovern. So a cheap G would be nice. We need a vet at RB, someone like R. Jones, D. Singletary, or D. Harris would be nice on the cheap. And at TE, bring on someone like Moreau. Can block and catch.

By doing all these type of moves prior to draft you have placed yourself in a position to draft the best available player at your draft slots. And you can probably get it done for about 10 million combined.

ICP

Reaction score
I would have to agree with those stating that the signing of LVE most likely means Wagner will never wear the Star. It's nice to dream about though

starfan1

Reaction score
Do you remember last year when LVE was out how the run defense suffered greatly, as much as people like to complain about LVE, he gets the defensive line lined up in the correct gaps and calls the defense..
I have stated for twenty years plus and agree with many that have stated here that Dallas needs a massive Defensive tackle that requires double teams to help the run game defense but time and time again the brain trust running this gong show wants versatile defensive linemen along the defensive line instead which escapes me...
LVE had a good year and I’ve been critical of him but I think the run game improvement also coincided with Hankins being traded for

Kwyn

Reaction score
Does Wagner play SLB? Or on the outside?
Half of these people clamoring for Wagner have even seen him play other than a few highlights.. They just get excited.

The problem is that teams primarily play the nickel now, even on first down, so 3 LB sets are uncommon. Considering he and LVE are both inside LBs, there’s not room for both to start.

So, it’s unlikely we see him in Dallas.

Majic

Reaction score
Half of these people clamoring for Wagner have even seen him play other than a few highlights.. They just get excited.

The problem is that teams primarily play the nickel now, even on first down, so 3 LB sets are uncommon. Considering he and LVE are both inside LBs, there’s not room for both to start.

So, it’s unlikely we see him in Dallas.
We only need 2 and they should be Wagner and LVE either in 4-2-5 or 3-4. and from what I saw Wagner played well last year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Do it now!! 2/18 for Wagner with first year all guaranteed- I need violence at lb. Lve is too slow and soft!!!

And get me some fat mean guys to stuff up the middle!!!!!
I don't see LB as a big need at this point. Parsons, LVE, and Clark. All showing up last year.

Just get us a NT and a full sized DT to keep the oline off of them.

Majic

Reaction score
I don't see LB as a big need at this point. Parsons, LVE, and Clark. All showing up last year.

Just get us a NT and a full sized DT to keep the oline off of them.
it's not really a strength though is it. Parsons is fantastic but it's not his best position. LVE is good and Clark unknown. Upgrade needed here I think

Kwyn

Reaction score
We only need 2 and they should be Wagner and LVE either in 4-2-5 or 3-4. and from what I saw Wagner played well last year
So, you’re just lining up Micah at DE every down?

We don’t have the players to run a 3-4. You don’t change your entire defense so you can go out and rent an aging LB.