Boise State Vs. VT

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3538749 said:
AUSTIN AMERICAN STATESMAN -- Texas tailback Tré Newton, a sophomore from Southlake Carroll who led the team in rushing last season, moved back into the starting lineup Monday after grinding out a team-high 61 yards and three touchdowns in Saturday's opener against Rice.

But coach Mack Brown made it clear that Newton's elevation came, at least in part, because Cody Johnson -- the 250-pounder who started against Rice -- sprained an ankle on his second carry against the Owls and did not tell coaches about the injury until after the game.

By then, Brown said the ankle was swollen to the point that Johnson is not expected to practice today but should be available for Saturday's game against Wyoming (6 p.m., Austin).

Asked if Newton, who rushed for 552 yards last season, would have supplanted Johnson on Monday's depth chart without the injury, Brown said: "It's hard to tell. I thought Tré looked good... and Cody only had two healthy plays. He wasn't cutting as well after [the injury]. When we asked him after the game why he didn't tell us, he said, 'I've worked too hard to be the starter. I don't want to lose it.'"

Johnson, the goal-line back last season, earned the starting role last week because of what he showed in fall camp. Those skills were not evident after Johnson's 18-yard run on his second carry, Brown said.

Brown and offensive coordinator Greg Davis said they reminded Johnson about the fine line that exists between playing with pain and trying to play through an injury that saps production and hurts the team.

Newton said he is happy to be back atop the depth chart but understands that coaches plan to rotate multiple players at the position. Texas started four different tailbacks in 14 games last season.

Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis said fans and media members "should not draw too many conclusions" from the play calls made against Rice, which included 46 runs and 24 passes. Davis said he envisions more of a 50-50 mix as the season unfolds, with Texas spending less time under center -- and more plays from shotgun formation -- than the Longhorns showed in the opener.

I was very happy with the play of Newton, he looked very quick hitting the holes and would not be surprised if he holds on to the starting role.

jimmy40

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3538749 said:
Davis said he envisions more of a 50-50 mix as the season unfolds, with Texas spending less time under center -- and more plays from shotgun formation -- than the Longhorns showed in the opener.
considering everyone was recruited for the spread they have no choice. no way they can just turn into a running team unless they want to lose 3-4 games.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimmy40;3538759 said:
considering everyone was recruited for the spread they have no choice. no way they can just turn into a running team unless they want to lose 3-4 games.

Texas recruited the top players in Texas it had nothing to do with the spread. They may throw the ball more than they did vs Rice which I would expect but I don't think we will see a lot of the QB faking the handoff and running like we saw with Young and Colt.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3538604 said:
The year Texas won it with Vince Young was not a tough schedule at all.

This Boise State team would have a shot @ running the table against that schedule.

This Boise St team would've lost to OSU in Ohio and to Texas Tech. They wouldose to those Horns and Trojans from 2005 as well.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
I always get a laugh when people say that Boise needs to just get in a better conference. They have tried to get in the PAC-10 for years, and are routinely denied because this market is too small. They cannot recruit top 100 players yet they are competitive every year. For hell's sake, VT's Band had more members than Boise had attending that game.

Every time they beat a "ranked" opponent the excuses come flying out as to why they lost to BSU and why BSU really sucks. The preseason excuse is one of my favorites, that loss still goes into the "L" column whether the other team was up for it or not. I would say a team that overlooks BSU is a poorly coached team.

Would you want BSU in the Big 12, or PAC 10, or Big 10 or SEC or any other supposed "power" conference? Do you really want your team coming into Boise and playing? Ask Oregon how that worked out for them. Ask Nebraska why they won't sign a 1-1 deal to play BSU? You cannot continue to blame the conference for their not getting a shot at the title. They play who lines up against them, regardless of who it is. The VT game was not their Super Bowl, it was a hyped game for certain, but the OSU game will be far more hyped than the VT game was. The Oregon/Idaho rivalry is far more prevalent than the VT game. Their #10 ranking was the biggest reason for the hype.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jack-Reacher;3539257 said:
I always get a laugh when people say that Boise needs to just get in a better conference. They have tried to get in the PAC-10 for years, and are routinely denied because this market is too small. They cannot recruit top 100 players yet they are competitive every year. For hell's sake, VT's Band had more members than Boise had attending that game.

Every time they beat a "ranked" opponent the excuses come flying out as to why they lost to BSU and why BSU really sucks. The preseason excuse is one of my favorites, that loss still goes into the "L" column whether the other team was up for it or not. I would say a team that overlooks BSU is a poorly coached team.

Would you want BSU in the Big 12, or PAC 10, or Big 10 or SEC or any other supposed "power" conference? Do you really want your team coming into Boise and playing? Ask Oregon how that worked out for them. Ask Nebraska why they won't sign a 1-1 deal to play BSU? You cannot continue to blame the conference for their not getting a shot at the title. They play who lines up against them, regardless of who it is. The VT game was not their Super Bowl, it was a hyped game for certain, but the OSU game will be far more hyped than the VT game was. The Oregon/Idaho rivalry is far more prevalent than the VT game. Their #10 ranking was the biggest reason for the hype.

Beating a top 10 team is why the voters gave Boise more #1 vote. Oregon St started the year as a top 25 but the loss to TCU will likely knock them out of the top 25.
I don't blame Boise but I do see the other end of this as others are forced to play several top 25 teams while Boise gets 1 maybe 2?

TCU gets pretty much the same deal as Boise and the only way that is going to change is playoff system and I think we will see some conferences disbanded like the Big 12 and teams will play in larger super conferences.

Jack-Reacher

MTRS-Jon
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3539269 said:
Beating a top 10 team is why the voters gave Boise more #1 vote. Oregon St started the year as a top 25 but the loss to TCU will likely knock them out of the top 25.
I don't blame Boise but I do see the other end of this as others are forced to play several top 25 teams while Boise gets 1 maybe 2?

TCU gets pretty much the same deal as Boise and the only way that is going to change is playoff system and I think we will see some conferences disbanded like the Big 12 and teams will play in larger super conferences.

I agree completely, it is crappy deal regardless of who the team is. We had the same debate back in the 80's When BYU went undefeated. The NCAA should take over the scheduling at the very least and let these teams prove themselves. A playoff system would be ideal but you would have the same debates as to seeding. A BSU or TCU will have to play tougher competition in the playoffs, because they will be seeded low due to their scheduling. Hopefully this because somewhat of a non issue next year when BSU moves into the MWC.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Jack-Reacher;3539342 said:
I agree completely, it is crappy deal regardless of who the team is. We had the same debate back in the 80's When BYU went undefeated. The NCAA should take over the scheduling at the very least and let these teams prove themselves. A playoff system would be ideal but you would have the same debates as to seeding. A BSU or TCU will have to play tougher competition in the playoffs, because they will be seeded low due to their scheduling. Hopefully this because somewhat of a non issue next year when BSU moves into the MWC.

True, the NCAA could take over the 3 non conference games you will still have your own conference you will have to play but at least the 3 non conference games could be vs better teams.

As for the playoffs you may be right that a TCU or a BSU would have the tougher road given their seeding however they did well enough last season to be in the BCS bowl so chances are their seeding would still be pretty decent.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3539269 said:
I think we will see some conferences disbanded like the Big 12 and teams will play in larger super conferences.

When did the Big XII "disband"?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3539371 said:
When did the Big XII "disband"?

They have not as of yet but I can see a time come where some of the conferences and the Big XII minus 2 being 1 of them. I think we will one day we will see Teams become part of lager super conferences.

Currently we have 12 Division 1-A conferences I could see that paired down to 5 to 6 super conferences in the future

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3539392 said:
They have not as of yet but I can see a time come where some of the conferences and the Big XII minus 2 being 1 of them. I think we will one day we will see Teams become part of lager super conferences.

Currently we have 12 Division 1-A conferences I could see that paired down to 5 to 6 super conferences in the future

I think the B12 will start working seriously towards bringing in 2 more teams here fairly quickly. TCU, Houston or even SMU would be tops on my guess-list.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3539428 said:
I think the B12 will start working seriously towards bringing in 2 more teams here fairly quickly. TCU, Houston or even SMU would be tops on my guess-list.

It is not about the big 12 per say I think in the end there will be fewer conferences that make up the division 1-A schools. There has been talk of putting super conferences in place and I think eventually that will happen.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3539441 said:
It is not about the big 12 per say I think in the end there will be fewer conferences that make up the division 1-A schools. There has been talk of putting super conferences in place and I think eventually that will happen.

I think that's a long way away though. I could easily see conferences adding teams, even as back-room discussions about super conferences are taking place and imminent.

joseephuss

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3539454 said:
I think that's a long way away though. I could easily see confrnces adding teams, even as back-room discussions about super conferences are taking place and imminent.

Five years is not a long time in the big scheme of things, which is when the next big changes will likely occur.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3539454 said:
I think that's a long way away though. I could easily see confrnces adding teams, even as back-room discussions about super conferences are taking place and imminent.

Not sure how far away that really is. There are other school looking to make moves and I think the day of the super conference may be right around the corner. I don't say this as a supporter of it or against it I just think it is something that will happen and sooner than you may think

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-realignment-the-super-conference-blueprint

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3539464 said:
I don't say this as a supporter of it or against it I just think it is something that will happen and sooner than you may think

You're dead to me!

:p:

DFWJC

Reaction score
casmith07;3536754 said:
It is their fault. They could actively petition to join a conference where they'll routinely play tough talent, like the Pac 10 or the Big XII.

Oregon State being ranked #24 is a far cry from playing top tier talent.

If they were to join the Pac-10 they would routinely have to play USC, Cal, UCLA, Washington, Oregon, Oregon State, and then I want to see them schedule their out of conference games against teams like Alabama, Texas, and Oklahoma and have ROUTINE success, not one-hit-wonder games where they win by 3 points or a last second touchdown. Blowout wins.

They're in the WAC. They shouldn't even be considered for Top 10.
You make it sound like BSU does not want to be in the Pac-10. That is their DREAM to be in a BCS conference. Just because schools want in, does not mean they get in.
Every CUSA, WAC, and MWC team would love to be in a so-called BCS conference.

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3538604 said:
The year Texas won it with Vince Young was not a tough schedule at all.

This Boise State team would have a shot @ running the table against that schedule.
@#2 Ohio state
#24 Colorado
#10 Texas tech
OU who had whipped us the previous 2 years
rankings go out the window in rivalry's like UT vs. A&M
and then Colorado again

me thinks your talking out of your butt

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cythim;3538872 said:
This Boise St team would've lost to OSU in Ohio and to Texas Tech. They wouldose to those Horns and Trojans from 2005 as well.

But you can't prove that.

At least give Boise state a chance to prove they can't play with the "big boys".

Everytime you put them on the same field with a good team they play well.

Plaaaayoooofff.