Boise State Vs. VT

Bizwah

Reaction score
LatinMind;3537963 said:
for teams like boise its harder cause if they dont win by 60 they fall in ranking

I don't agree with this at all.

They only have to win and not have too many bad looking games.

Yes, style points are important.....but they've controlled the conference pretty easily the last few years, so this won't be anything new or difficult for them.

rkell87

Reaction score
Bizwah;3538114 said:
I don't agree with this at all.

They only have to win and not have too many bad looking games.

Yes, style points are important.....but they've controlled the conference pretty easily the last few years, so this won't be anything new or difficult for them.
yeah but if they 'struggle' at all with a weaker team with their weaker schedule then they will get jumped in the standings.

like if #5 texas beats #7 OU and in that same week or any surrounding week boise or tcu struggle or dont look dominate then texas, or any other team in position to jump them, will.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Teams with week schedules play for the title every year.

Texas, OU, and Ohio State have made many appearances because of no competition.

Cythim

Benched
Reaction score
CATCH17;3538264 said:

If it is because of no competition is is because they are head and shoulders above the rest of the nation. Boise St would not go undefeated every year in the Big 10 or Big 12 like UT, OU or OSU have to do in order to make the NC game. They can play teams like Tulsa, Rice and Marhsall in non-conference because they are at the same level as most of Boise State's opponents.

rkell87

Reaction score
CATCH17;3538264 said:

oh come off it, you don't have to play ranked teams every week to have a strong schedule. Iowa, Penn st., osu, and until recently Michigan have been tough enough each year to to warrant cake out of conference opponents.

same for Texas, ou, TT, tamu, and depending on the year Nebraska or Colorado. same for VT, fla st., Clemson, GT, and MIA. all these guys usually have one or two teams in the top 10-15 and all of them regularly make an appearance in the top 25.

also the rest of the teams in those conferences are closer to the 50 range where as the guys in Boise st conference are closer to the 75-100 range for the most part.

rkell87

Reaction score
Cythim;3538289 said:
Boise St jumped Texas and Florida in the Coaches' Poll.
which is how it should be, both fla and texas didnt blow out easy guys and boise beat the #10 team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
LatinMind;3537963 said:
for teams like boise its harder cause if they dont win by 60 they fall in ranking

Not true that is not part of the formula that is used in the BCS computer rankings.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Bizwah;3538111 said:
I think there's a lot of validity to this.

Last night was basically BSU's Super Bowl. Just like last year when they played Oregon. They really can let it hang out for that first game because they don't have to worry so much about any kind of challenge from their conference.

They're a fun team to watch, but simply pointing to one game is not good enough. I think a team with one loss from the SEC, Big 12, Big 10, is more impressive than a BSU team that goes undefeated and beats one or two teams (Oregon St. is next) from a power conference.

I love BSU...as I said, my cousin was a prof there. But they really present a ton of issues for the BCS. I don't think it's fair for them, the power conferences, or the fans of college football to NOT have a playoff.

I agree with you 100%. I think this is the reason that a playoff system is needed to give teams like Boise and TCU a fair shot at the National title.

I fully understand the sentiments for Boise after all they have little control over who they play and the teams they have played they have beaten including the 1 or 2 ranked teams they face within a season.

Problem is the big schools are facing 4 or 5 ranked teams within a season not counting their bowl game they face the pressure that Boise and TCU do not have to face.

I know a couple of years ago Texas had 4 games in a row with top 20 team 1st Oklahoma, Missouri, Oklahoma st and Texas Tech and in the end they lost the shot at the NC because of the 1 point loss to Tech.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Muhast;3538305 said:
Fla and Tex both looked pretty average last week.

Both are going through a big change. Tebow has been the QB for 4 years and now is gone and for Texas Colt was there for 4 years and is he is gone. Add to that both are having to change their style of offense to try and compliment the talent of the new QB's they have in place.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Cythim;3538304 said:
If it is because of no competition is is because they are head and shoulders above the rest of the nation. Boise St would not go undefeated every year in the Big 10 or Big 12 like UT, OU or OSU have to do in order to make the NC game. They can play teams like Tulsa, Rice and Marhsall in non-conference because they are at the same level as most of Boise State's opponents.

The year Texas won it with Vince Young was not a tough schedule at all.

This Boise State team would have a shot @ running the table against that schedule.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3538552 said:
Both are going through a big change. Tebow has been the QB for 4 years and now is gone and for Texas Colt was there for 4 years and is he is gone. Add to that both are having to change their style of offense to try and compliment the talent of the new QB's they have in place.
Garrett Gilbert ran the spread in high school.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimmy40;3538617 said:
Garrett Gilbert ran the spread in high school.

I understand that but evidently after going through the off season the Texas coaches do not think he can run the spread effectively enough to implement it exclusively as they did with Young and Colt. There has to be a point where fans have to trust those who are seeing these guys day in and day out. I think the Texas coaching staff has enough skins on the wall to trust their judgment.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;3538604 said:
The year Texas won it with Vince Young was not a tough schedule at all.

This Boise State team would have a shot @ running the table against that schedule.

Texas played 4 ranked teams that season including a big show down with #4 Ohio State in week 2 of the season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;3538631 said:
I understand that but evidently after going through the off season the Texas coaches do not think he can run the spread effectively enough to implement it exclusively as they did with Young and Colt. There has to be a point where fans have to trust those who are seeing these guys day in and day out. I think the Texas coaching staff has enough skins on the wall to trust their judgment.

I think some of it has to do with his Physical abilities too.

He is more of a Pro Style QB so it makes sense to run that kind of Offense.

Plus it allows you to play more of a Physical Style of football too.

Gilbert is so gifted that you can probably run whatever style of Offense you want though.

If I were Texas, with the way they can recruit, all you need is a team that can run through people.

Thats what USC and a lot of the SEC schools do.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3538631 said:
I think Mack just wants to run the ball, which is fine by me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
jimmy40;3538696 said:
I think Mack just wants to run the ball, which is fine by me.

I think Mack wants to win and will do whatever they feel gives them the best chance to win. I think in the Rice game they played it closer to the vest than what we will see as the season progresses and Gilbert progresses.

jimmy40

Reaction score
Doomsday101;3538713 said:
. I think in the Rice game they played it closer to the vest than what we will see as the season progresses and Gilbert progresses.
no doubt about that

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
AUSTIN AMERICAN STATESMAN -- Texas tailback Tré Newton, a sophomore from Southlake Carroll who led the team in rushing last season, moved back into the starting lineup Monday after grinding out a team-high 61 yards and three touchdowns in Saturday's opener against Rice.

But coach Mack Brown made it clear that Newton's elevation came, at least in part, because Cody Johnson -- the 250-pounder who started against Rice -- sprained an ankle on his second carry against the Owls and did not tell coaches about the injury until after the game.

By then, Brown said the ankle was swollen to the point that Johnson is not expected to practice today but should be available for Saturday's game against Wyoming (6 p.m., Austin).

Asked if Newton, who rushed for 552 yards last season, would have supplanted Johnson on Monday's depth chart without the injury, Brown said: "It's hard to tell. I thought Tré looked good... and Cody only had two healthy plays. He wasn't cutting as well after [the injury]. When we asked him after the game why he didn't tell us, he said, 'I've worked too hard to be the starter. I don't want to lose it.'"

Johnson, the goal-line back last season, earned the starting role last week because of what he showed in fall camp. Those skills were not evident after Johnson's 18-yard run on his second carry, Brown said.

Brown and offensive coordinator Greg Davis said they reminded Johnson about the fine line that exists between playing with pain and trying to play through an injury that saps production and hurts the team.

Newton said he is happy to be back atop the depth chart but understands that coaches plan to rotate multiple players at the position. Texas started four different tailbacks in 14 games last season.

Texas offensive coordinator Greg Davis said fans and media members "should not draw too many conclusions" from the play calls made against Rice, which included 46 runs and 24 passes. Davis said he envisions more of a 50-50 mix as the season unfolds, with Texas spending less time under center -- and more plays from shotgun formation -- than the Longhorns showed in the opener.