Bond, James Bond. Should he die?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Lazenby is the only Bond who fit cleanly within the 'unknown' category. The Bond films are British based. Connery, Moore, Craig and even Dalton had done enough in their home market to be known commodities. I am old enough to remember Moore as The Saint, which is a reason why I initially enjoyed his casting as the new Bond at the time. Brosnan was well-known (in my opinion) on both sides of the Atlantic. Americans certainly loved him as Remington Steele before he became 007.
But back then, the movement from TV to film was not an easy one and he would be more interested in the exposure and pay off played into it and while they were known commodities across the pond, the US is where the money was and is. And I agree, whoever it is should be English or Australian.

And while I have a hard time seeing a female 007, Garner was pretty good in Elektra and Peppermint and Theron in Aeon Flux. So, they cast it right and give some early Bond twists to her and make her a manizer, might be really interesting. Just don't have her drinking Cosmos and worrying about breaking a nail.

And they haven't said they're moving that direction but they do feel this franchise has run it's course. And just think of the parties of women that would be flocking to see one of their own playing the role replacing the biggest womanizer in film history. They get opening crowds like Wonder Woman got and the success of Captain Marvel won't be lost on them. And the publicity they would get with a female 007 would be better than they could buy.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wasn’t really comparing.

My point is make movies for each instead of changing just to change.
The only changes I foresee would only be the actress in the lead role and actors becoming the romance objects. Ironically, Daniel Craig played sort of the latter dynamic to Angelica Jolie in the first Lora Craft: Tomb Raider film.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No problem with a female lead in an action/spy/whatever lead role. But Bond is a franchise.... If you want a female lead, create a new role with a new persona.
Bond would be gone but the 007 might remain as they've established that doesn't change, they replace the 00's with new people but keep the 00 designation.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
I will say.. thy talked about Idris Elba as Bond.

My first thought was.. come on man. Make him Bond because he is great. I am a fan. Even before Thor movies. Not the white/black thing.

It’s a tad disrespectful to him as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember hearing/reading that Lazenby’s Bond. OYMSS is highly regarded as one of the best if not the best Bond films.
I thought he was a great Bond and the script on that one humanized him more than just a womanizing guy drinking shaken martinis and smoking Chesterfield's and kicking butt.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Never really cared for Bond. Sean Connery was cool and funny, but the character just does nothing for me.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
But back then, the movement from TV to film was not an easy one and he would be more interested in the exposure and pay off played into it and while they were known commodities across the pond, the US is where the money was and is. And I agree, whoever it is should be English or Australian.

And while I have a hard time seeing a female 007, Garner was pretty good in Elektra and Peppermint and Theron in Aeon Flux. So, they cast it right and give some early Bond twists to her and make her a manizer, might be really interesting. Just don't have her drinking Cosmos and worrying about breaking a nail.

And they haven't said they're moving that direction but they do feel this franchise has run it's course. And just think of the parties of women that would be flocking to see one of their own playing the role replacing the biggest womanizer in film history. They get opening crowds like Wonder Woman got and the success of Captain Marvel won't be lost on them. And the publicity they would get with a female 007 would be better than they could buy.
lol @ 'worrying about breaking a nail'. :muttley:

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No problem with a female lead in an action/spy/whatever lead role. But Bond is a franchise.... If you want a female lead, create a new role with a new persona.
I would be in favor of a reboot but not a total one.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will say.. thy talked about Idris Elba as Bond.

My first thought was.. come on man. Make him Bond because he is great. I am a fan. Even before Thor movies. Not the white/black thing.

It’s a tad disrespectful to him as well.
I think he wanted to get paid according to his stature as an actor. All of the other actors had reasons to work for less and sign on for more time. He's an in demand actor and should be.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Never really cared for Bond. Sean Connery was cool and funny, but the character just does nothing for me.
Might not for me had I not been 15 when he first appeared and he put the cool in cool and we all had a new male role model to aspire to be. That got me into all of the books and then I was hooked and the gadgets worked on me as well, it was the future of technology. I read that inventors read his books and that actually inspired them to try and create some of those "toys".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Might not for me had I not been 15 when he first appeared and he put the cool in cool and we all had a new male role model to aspire to be. That got me into all of the books and then I was hooked and the gadgets worked on me as well, it was the future of technology. I read that inventors read his books and that actually inspired them to try and create some of those "toys".
I went to see Goldfinger when I was a kid, and I liked it, but the karate chop stuff was ridiculously bad, so I just never got that into it.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
You're gonna start a rumble if we go the "What is the best Bond movie route?" :laugh:

To me, the only Bond Movies were Roger Moore’s.
Love Connery and liked Lazenby in his but they came across as different movies.

Moore sold the debonaire Bond look the best. IMO.

“Flame ON!” (See what I did there)? Lol

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
I started something. My apologies to the OP. :)

Technically she started out as Ms. Marvel and a separate character back then. I am lost about 'beckiest becky' though. What is that?

yep. she did morph. i've got the 1st run of the graphic novel where the guy died from cancer.

"beckiest becky" - brietbart review of the movie. he slams larson is so many ways calling her the "beckiest becky" out there. he's meaning most PC, most "girl next door" most "cute but not attractive" type. the article / review itself again is brutal but can be hilarious to simply read.

one quote was something along the lines of "i'd feel it in my loins if gail gadot killed my dog but i get nothing from brie..." you can google captain marvel beckiest becky and i'm sure it will come up.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
To me, the only Bond Movies were Roger Moore’s.
Love Connery and liked Lazenby in his but they came across as different movies.

Moore sold the debonaire Bond look the best. IMO.

“Flame ON!” (See what I did there)? Lol
It's A Trap! :muttley:

While I enjoyed all Bond movies, I loved all of Connery's, Craig's, Lazenby's single film, the first and maybe second Moore movie, Brosnan's Die
Another Day
and none of Dalton's.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I went to see Goldfinger when I was a kid, and I liked it, but the karate chop stuff was ridiculously bad, so I just never got that into it.
You may wish to try one of Craig's films, especially the first two, if you crave realistic, zero humor action.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yep. she did morph. i've got the 1st run of the graphic novel where the guy died from cancer.

"beckiest becky" - brietbart review of the movie. he slams larson is so many ways calling her the "beckiest becky" out there. he's meaning most PC, most "girl next door" most "cute but not attractive" type. the article / review itself again is brutal but can be hilarious to simply read.

one quote was something along the lines of "i'd feel it in my loins if gail gadot killed my dog but i get nothing from brie..." you can google captain marvel beckiest becky and i'm sure it will come up.
Thanks but no thanks if that is the angle some reviewers are working. Larson was not an unknown before the movie debuted so anyone could have run with that viewpoint, skipped the movie, and embraced the same conclusion. There was more to the movie than their libidos allowed them to see in my opinon. :p

EDIT: Curiosity got the better of me and I read the review you mentioned. So I lied. Sue me. :muttley:

I agree partly with the nostalgia factor and Jackson/Larson chemistry in the first half of the movie. Those were partial reasons why I thought the movie's first half scenes were a bit stiff.

Otherwise I was pretty meh about the rest. The article's author should think about writing for Playboy though. His content is pretty linear lol. I got a good laugh. Thanks.

Last edited: