Bond, James Bond. Should he die?

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
.... And the publicity they would get with a female 007 would be better than they could buy.

I think a Miss Bond would be a big "miss" ala Ghostbusters.

... Just don't have her drinking Cosmos and worrying about breaking a nail.

Actually, I think the "breaking a nail thing" could be pretty funny...... provided she'd just left it in some guy's neck.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You may wish to try one of Craig's films, especially the first two, if you crave realistic, zero humor action.
I've seen the first two, and they were much more realistic, and I didn't dislike them, but I still just don't feel any urge to watch Bond films. Once Pierce Brosnan was cast in the role, I lost all interest, and I don't see what little interest I had before that returning.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
yep. she did morph. i've got the 1st run of the graphic novel where the guy died from cancer.

"beckiest becky" - brietbart review of the movie. he slams larson is so many ways calling her the "beckiest becky" out there. he's meaning most PC, most "girl next door" most "cute but not attractive" type. the article / review itself again is brutal but can be hilarious to simply read.

one quote was something along the lines of "i'd feel it in my loins if gail gadot killed my dog but i get nothing from brie..." you can google captain marvel beckiest becky and i'm sure it will come up.
Personally, I didn't find her very attractive at the beginning, but by the end of the movie she seemed much more attractive to me.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I don't really care what they do with Bond now, that franchise has lost its luster to me over the last few films. I used to look forward to a new one but didn't even care about seeing the latest ones......got around to it a year or two later. I still have yet to see Spectre.

IMO, it should go back to what it was, a debonair and sly womanizer but that is not Hollywood these days....

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
I've seen the first two, and they were much more realistic, and I didn't dislike them, but I still just don't feel any urge to watch Bond films. Once Pierce Brosnan was cast in the role, I lost all interest, and I don't see what little interest I had before that returning.
I've never watched a Bond film with an eye for realism. The were all "over the top", unrealistic, fantasy movies. No different than Avatar or Star Wars. The weapons, special effects, and situational outcomes were done with a nod and a wink like an inside joke to satisfy adolescent male viewers... no matter what their actual age.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just start a new 00x franchise without Bond. No need to kill him.
Nope, thought it over and he's gotta go. Can't retire, how's he gonna live? He depends on them for everything and has lived on a great expense account his entire life. Sad to think of him living out his days, sitting on the front porch with a bunch of old guys, scratching and swatting imaginary flies, while telling them of his exploits and them all thinking he's just a big liar.

He needs to take down Blofeld in a blaze of glory, sacrificing himself for the good of man and womankind.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't really care what they do with Bond now, that franchise has lost its luster to me over the last few films. I used to look forward to a new one but didn't even care about seeing the latest ones......got around to it a year or two later. I still have yet to see Spectre.

IMO, it should go back to what it was, a debonair and sly womanizer but that is not Hollywood these days....
Yep, they turned him into a man with feelings, in touch with his feminine side. Once they did that, mankind was doomed. As long as James was having them shaken, not stirred as foreplay and women never talked back to him, we had hope.

I do think they have the coolest and most creative openings to their films as tone setters but that no longer fits his tamed ways.

Quick story on Spectre. I haven't seen it yet and am planning on getting the BluRay but I am in the liquor store and see this boxed set of Belvedere vodka with two cool looking martini glasses that change when the cold hits the glass and I figure 'hey, these must be glasses James drinks martinis out of so I buy the set, get the BluRay and sit down all set to have a martini with 007'. I fix one, no glass in the movie yet, I fix another about 30 minutes later, still no glass has shown up and this goes on until I figure out unless he's going to cut some villain's throat with this glass at the end, I have just had 4 martinis and going to have a hard time remembering what the hell happened in the freakin' movie. I watched it a second time later that week and sure enough, stuff happened toward the end that I was seeing for the first time.

The glass never made an appearance but I still drink out of them and cuss Belvedere and myself for getting suckered in on a promotional gimmick. However, I have considered following this same agenda to watch movies I hate the ending of like Old Yeller, Saving Private Ryan, The Wild Bunch and Love Story, aka "being dead means you never have to hear I'm Sorry". I wish I didn't remember the end of Saving Private Ryan because I am still sad.

DanteEXT

Reaction score
I thought I read some internet theory that James bond is just a code name. And that when one agent dies or retires a new one is put in that spot. I don't if that theory works with the source material.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
I went to see Goldfinger when I was a kid, and I liked it, but the karate chop stuff was ridiculously bad, so I just never got that into it.
I thoroughly enjoyed that Gold member Bond flick but I don't recall much karate chopping from any of Dr. Evil's henchmen in it:huh:

o_O

GMO415

Reaction score
The whole damn film industry wants to be a rainbow society. They want to replace an icon with a female? Go ahead and kill him and off and watch the series die along with him.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I think it'd be great if they followed up on the theory where "007" is immortal but Bond is not.

The idea was that there's some sort of orphanage pipeline that grooms orphans to fill the role, giving the idea of an immortal British agent that is anything but.

It'd certainly explain why no one in the underworld seems to recognize or target the guy while he's home. He's romanced endless women, always giving his "real name", yet none of them (the ones that lived anyway) have gone to the tabloids about bedding a secret agent.

It would also explain why Bond is so thirsty for thrills, knowing he's filling a role filled by others that died before him. Live fast, die young, etc.

I personally don't care what race or gender James Bond is, as long as they deliver on the mystique and honor the source.

It's like the people crying Spiderman can't be black, then they nailed it with Into the Spiderverse.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Just start a new 00x franchise without Bond. No need to kill him.

Doubt they can due to the rights.

Nothing stopping them from creating a bond movie where he has to work more closely with a 00x, but he's always been a one man show.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Roger Moore for me...growing up in the 70s/80s.
no...you shouldn't kill off Bond.
ain't nothin' sacred?

(Batman is my favorite fictional character...in any form.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Saw this last week. The director of the last one with Daniel Craig is walking because the daughter of the originator of the films, Barbara Broccoli, wants to kill him off and bring in a new 007 but not Bond. Maybe even a female 007.

I have seen all of these films and while they all share the same formula, I have had an affinity for them and read all of the Ian Fleming novels several decades ago. Great escapism, especially for a man.

They're changed Bond's from Connery to Lazenby to Moore to Dalton to Brosnan to Craig and surprisingly Moore wins the favorite Bond in all of the surveys. However, they've never allowed Bond to die, just changed out the actor.

They've made him vulnerable with these last 4 with Craig so he's much closer to fragile and human inside than he's ever been so it seems they've been heading in this direction, so should he die?

I realize the answer to this is also affected by your age as I grew up on Bond and have spent the last 57 years with him showing up every 2 to 3 years. No other fictional character has lasted this long for me.

Who's your favorite Bond and should he die and be replaced with a new 007?

Mine is still the man who created the character, Sean Connery, and I think it is time that James Bond introduce himself in that iconic fashion, Bond, James Bond one last time in the working title, Bond 25. And then we bid adieu to the man we knew so well.

If anyone is actually considering that, they should killed him off. In fact, don't waste any time and money and just kill it off completely. End it. Because that's what you'd be doing.

As someone else said, it would go over as well as the Ghostbusters remake. Give people what they don't want and never asked for, and then blame them and label them as sexist for not supporting crap.

Here's a thought! If you want to have a female spy franchise, go make one. But don't try to piggyback it off of someone else's established idea.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
No freaking way am I watching Bond if they cast the character as a female.

Start a new series if you want a female lead, leave Bond alone.