Boosting our OL your choice O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila

garyv

Reaction score
Boosting our offensive line would you rather draft O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila ? which one would help
the Cowboys the most and explain why that player over the other ?

gtb1943

Reaction score
He may slide as you can never tell, but I don’t see any way in hell he slides past the 30s. His film is way too good
Kind of torn; we need a bully on the line. Last one we had was Colombo. Though actually Lae'l was sort of one.

Avila is very good.

One of my pet peeves with the boys O line selections is that they pretty much always want players that can flex. That is a good thing but should not stop you from say taking a guy who can only play guard but who will be truly excellent at it.
Jack of all trades means a master of none and the Boys have done that all too often.

garyv

Reaction score
OCyrus just sounds like a bully. Sign me up but not until the 2nd
Hes about the 40th rated player so we would never see him in the 2nd Round without a tradeup and I personally
see the same situation for Avila

garyv

Reaction score
He may slide as you can never tell, but I don’t see any way in hell he slides past the 30s. His film is way too good
I agree 100% and honestly I don't see him or Avila there for our 2nd Rounder we would need to slide up in the 2nd round for Avila
and Torrence we would have to take at #26

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Top 10 Offensive linemen 2023 Draft - - - link I just have this feeling he will be the equivalent of Erik Williams in brutality and savagery

1. O’CYRUS TORRENCE, FLORIDA (SENIOR | 6-5, 357)

• 2022 Grade: 88.0
  • Initial Round Projection: 1-2
After three years starting at Louisiana, Torrence followed Billy Napier to Florida, where he firmly proved he belonged with a tremendous senior season. Torrence finished with an 88.0 overall grade and allowed all of eight pressures all season.

Torrence’s career path isn’t the only thing that makes him a unique guard prospect, though. He is not your typical guard at a whopping 6-foot-5, 347 pounds. To say you won’t find too many other top guard prospects tipping the scales in that range is an understatement. There hasn’t been a single other 340-plus-pound guard taken in the first two rounds of the draft since PFF started grading in 2006. It’s incredible how balanced he is for a man that size.

Usually, jumbo guards have a tendency to get top-heavy, but you’ll rarely see Torrence on the floor. That’s a necessary trait for an interior lineman. While I project him to be a late first- to early second-round draft pick, Torrence may very well go higher than that for the simple fact that there are so few quality guards in this class.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Top 10 Offensive linemen 2023 Draft - - - link I just have this feeling he will be the equivalent of Erik Williams in brutality and savagery

After three years starting at Louisiana, Torrence followed Billy Napier to Florida, where he firmly proved he belonged with a tremendous senior season. Torrence finished with an 88.0 overall grade and allowed all of eight pressures all season.

Torrence’s career path isn’t the only thing that makes him a unique guard prospect, though. He is not your typical guard at a whopping 6-foot-5, 347 pounds. To say you won’t find too many other top guard prospects tipping the scales in that range is an understatement. There hasn’t been a single other 340-plus-pound guard taken in the first two rounds of the draft since PFF started grading in 2006. It’s incredible how balanced he is for a man that size.

Usually, jumbo guards have a tendency to get top-heavy, but you’ll rarely see Torrence on the floor. That’s a necessary trait for an interior lineman. While I project him to be a late first- to early second-round draft pick, Torrence may very well go higher than that for the simple fact that there are so few quality guards in this class.
This is my first choice with 26 if Bijan doesn't fall. This kid starts day one and you can't convince me he and Tyler won't dominate the left side. This also allows Tyron to play RT so we are not rushing Steele back.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Hes about the 40th rated player so we would never see him in the 2nd Round without a tradeup and I personally
see the same situation for Avila
So probably one of those guys makes it to our 2nd round pick. Olineman especially interior ones usually slip while a huge run on DE and corners usually takes place

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Torrence was 330 at the combine.

J-man

Reaction score
Torrence, Avila would be great in rd 2. Tippmman is another I'd take in rd 2.
No way any of them make it to 58 though.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
Depends. If we are moving on from Tyler B next year Avila makes a lot of sense. If we view Tyler as the center for the next 5 years then I want Torrence

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Boosting our offensive line would you rather draft O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila ? which one would help
Everyone is aware that there is a need at LG, but I think many fans are pushing up these Guards way too high. There will be better players available at 26. Would you rather have an all pro pass rusher or corner over a solid guard?

Carson

Reaction score
Avila has better move schools
I think whoever they choose, if they do shows you have they want to block.

Torrance is a big mauler type but struggles to get to the 2nd level. I see him as similar to Ron Leary. Big, mean but struggles to get to the next level.

Avila isn’t a nasty but gets to the 2nd level better

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d choose Avila, for two reasons:

1) He’s played left guard more recently of the two, so there would be less of an adjustment.

2) Avila has played more positions on the line - including center. That position may open up after this year.