Boosting our OL your choice O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila

cnuball21

Reaction score
If you have read my posts before, I am a big supporter of addressing the OL, just don't want them to reach to fill a need. Last time they tried to do the same thing and we drafted Taco Charlton. I view Avilia as a solid player who needs some development, not a future pro bowl type player which you want with your 1st rd selection. Even if he doesn't last to our next selection, there will be other comparable options. I rather have a pro bowl starter in rd 1 and find a solid Guard starter on day 2.
This times a million.

Ekspozed

Reaction score
I'm a big Bergeron fan myself, but I don't think he makes 58 any more than Torrence does. I like Bergeron in a trade down, Fredbeard-style, but I wouldn't be mad at Torrence at 26. Put either of these brutes next to Tyler and MASH some teams. Avila is a 332-lb. finesse player. NO THANK YOU.
Just because he can move and block in the 2nd level doesn't make him a finesse player. There's video evidence of him bulling over mazi.

His last game in a blowout loss he was still out there fighting, finishing his blocks. Love to see it.

Neither are making it to our 2nd pick.
Torrence isn't making it past the Eagles at 30 imo.

If you pass on then then you're going to have to go for someone like mafi or Bergeron if he makes it(or trade up)

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Ok, updated opinion. I watched some YouTube breakdowns of these guys last night.

OCT - Probably legit at 26 but would rather get him 8-12 picks later. Plus side (& I can't emphasize this enough) is you got to see him against beasts such as Jalen Carter. He won some, he lost some. He only lost a few where JC just blew up the play completely. So for me, it seemed he will fare quite well against most opponents but needs some work to better stymie top notch opponents.

SA - Beautiful pass pro. For some reason, struggles in run blocking. The disparity between the two is .... odd. I would not draft him at 26. Also got to see him some against Jalen Carter. I believe JC beat him a little cleaner, easier than he beat OCT. Would be ok drafting him in the second .... but the run blocking scares me a bit.

InPhiltraitor

Reaction score
In terms of drafting these guys per their value, we may be in somewhat of a no-man's-land. I'd prefer to take a player to bolster the interior of either side of the ball but pick 26 may prove too rich for these guys and hoping that one of them falls to 58 doesn't seem to be a wise wager.

Moving back is easier said than done as only a few dance partners remain behind us in round 1 and the top of round 2 has been highly coveted territory for contractual reasons, and the fact that teams have had a chance to hit the reset button following day 1, and are eager to grab an impact player that remain in play.

I posted a video very similar to this previously minus the commentary. Usually these vids. are accompanied by fanboy, non-technical blowhard analysis that carries no relevance regarding true player ability. This guy was a little different so give this a watch and listen and see if your thoughts on a specific interior lineman can be swayed one way or the other.

Mano a Mano Analysis

rambo2

Reaction score
In terms of drafting these guys per their value, we may be in somewhat of a no-man's-land. I'd prefer to take a player to bolster the interior of either side of the ball but pick 26 may prove too rich for these guys and hoping that one of them falls to 58 doesn't seem to be a wise wager.

Moving back is easier said than done as only a few dance partners remain behind us in round 1 and the top of round 2 has been highly coveted territory for contractual reasons, and the fact that teams have had a chance to hit the reset button following day 1, and are eager to grab an impact player that remain in play.

I posted a video very similar to this previously minus the commentary. Usually these vids. are accompanied by fanboy, non-technical blowhard analysis that carries no relevance regarding true player ability. This guy was a little different so give this a watch and listen and see if your thoughts on a specific interior lineman can be swayed one way or the other.

Mano a Mano Analysis
They very well could surprise us and end up taking an offensive lineman that is currently a tackle or taking a different position and going for an olineman in the 2nd round.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I agree…I personally hate pick 26 as I also prefer to bolster the lines. It’s likely that someone will grab Torrence in Rd.1 and Avila in R.2 before the Cowboys. The other two I like are Mauch and Bergeron who were tackles but will be better NFL guards. I think it’s very likely one of them will be there at 58. I like both a lot but prefer Mauch. The guy used to be a tight end and is an athlete. If you are a fan of RAS, the guy scored a 9.32 which is elite. He will need to add a few pounds and be coached up a little but he is already solid with lots of upside IMO.

My dream is to drop down and grab Benton who I think will be a beast and then grab Mauch at 58. If Mauch is gone, I’m happy with Begeron.

Aliencowboy

Reaction score
Boosting our offensive line would you rather draft O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila ? which one would help
the Cowboys the most and explain why that player over the other ?
Torrence is limited in mobility and position flex. Zone scheme settles it for Avila

Kwyn

Reaction score
I like both but if three were both there, I take Avila. I like his leadership and I think he’ll be a solid starting guard for a decade.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just because he can move and block in the 2nd level doesn't make him a finesse player. There's video evidence of him bulling over mazi.

His last game in a blowout loss he was still out there fighting, finishing his blocks. Love to see it.

Neither are making it to our 2nd pick.
Torrence isn't making it past the Eagles at 30 imo.

If you pass on then then you're going to have to go for someone like mafi or Bergeron if he makes it(or trade up)
@VACowboy

Avila is not a finesse player.

He just doesn't try to bury defensive players on every snap. Half of Tyler Smith's penalties in college where from pile driving defenders to the ground. It was fun to watch but you definitely can't do that in the Goodell era NFL.

Mafi (UCLA) is that guy. He often flattens 2 defender on 1 play. The problem is he often whiffs and blocks zero defenders on other plays.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Boosting our offensive line would you rather draft O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila ? which one would help
Its a tough call, with Avila you get postion flex since he can play center as well as guard.

Ocyrus is the better run blocker, but he seems to be a little slow getting to the second level and that might be a problem in the NFL.

We are kinda in no man's land, 26 is a little high for both of these guys but neither one is going to last till 58.

If the board gets wiped and the pass rushers, corners, and Bijan are all gone, then if I had to pick one at 26 I would probably go with Avila.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Its a tough call, with Avila you get postion flex since he can play center as well as guard.

Ocyrus is the better run blocker, but he seems to be a little slow getting to the second level and that might be a problem in the NFL.

We are kinda in no man's land, 26 is a little high for both of these guys but neither one is going to last till 58.

If the board gets wiped and the pass rushers, corners, and Bijan are all gone, then if I had to pick one at 26 I would probably go with Avila.
I am the other way; I want a road grader and anchor first; to be blunt pulling is less important than being able to hold up to bull rushes; also less important than moving out that DT so that we can get the tough yards. So I am leaning now towards the big powerful guy

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At OG I have them rated about equal.

Avila played a full season at OC.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Was wondering why Torrence wasn’t getting more attention as a likely pick, being a 30 visitor and plays a position where the starting job is up for grabs.

I’m not necessarily advocating for it, but he and Tyler on the left side could be something fun to watch.

Not in my top five choices for what I’d like to see happen, but there won’t be any remotes flying across the room in my house if they go this route.

Doubt they will, because they seem to like versatility, and he appears to be a G only.

morasp

Reaction score
Torrence, he didn't allow a single sack and is a bulldoze in the run game.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Was wondering why Torrence wasn’t getting more attention as a likely pick, being a 30 visitor and plays a position where the starting job is up for grabs.

I’m not necessarily advocating for it, but he and Tyler on the left side could be something fun to watch.

Not in my top five choices for what I’d like to see happen, but there won’t be any remotes flying across the room in my house if they go this route.

Doubt they will, because they seem to like versatility, and he appears to be a G only.
For sure. Guard's not a sexy 1st round pick, but IMO Torrance has unique enough traits to justify that selection.

Carson

Reaction score

They typically prefer guys who move well and get to the second level. Torrence is more of the Ron Leary mold. Bigger guy, slower feet. Avila more what they like being able to move better

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Hes about the 40th rated player so we would never see him in the 2nd Round without a tradeup and I personally
see the same situation for Avila
If the he is an interior OL, and ranked 40th overall he could easily last to our 2nd round pick