Boosting our OL your choice O'Cyrus Torrence or Steve Avila

Cowboyny

Reaction score
lot closer to 40 then 60 in the CREDIBLE draft sources.
40 is the highest I have seen from Dane Bruglar, many others have him closer to 50. Taking him at 26 is definitely a reach to fill a need.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
lot closer to 40 then 60 in the CREDIBLE draft sources.
Yeah I always laugh when people use "draft sources" as their reasoning for player slotting. Do they really think that GM's, coaches, and scouts are following what Brugler, Zierlein, Mel, and McShay are saying? These scouts spend an entire year putting together their draft board and our resident draft gurus will use terms like "a reach" or "steal of the draft" based off what they read on a web site written by a guy who's never played football...and they take it as gospel. The only thing more comical is when they start projecting the cap through the draft too. There's never more crushed feelings on this board than the day after the draft.

garyv

Reaction score
So probably one of those guys makes it to our 2nd round pick. Olineman especially interior ones usually slip while a huge run on DE and corners usually takes place
I think if either is there at 58 we would not pass

garyv

Reaction score
Kind of torn; we need a bully on the line. Last one we had was Colombo. Though actually Lae'l was sort of one.

Avila is very good.

One of my pet peeves with the boys O line selections is that they pretty much always want players that can flex. That is a good thing but should not stop you from say taking a guy who can only play guard but who will be truly excellent at it.
Jack of all trades means a master of none and the Boys have done that all too often.
When Nate Newton played I like the fact 3rd Down and 1 or 2 yards to go you could just run behind his big butt and get the 1st Down

Acceptablename

Reaction score
I think whoever they choose, if they do shows you have they want to block.

Torrance is a big mauler type but struggles to get to the 2nd level. I see him as similar to Ron Leary. Big, mean but struggles to get to the next level.

Avila isn’t a nasty but gets to the 2nd level better
I push this on the assumption of West Coast offense and listening to Talking Heads. I started out loving Torrance and still do like him I like the idea of the whole side of the line just clearing them out

ghst187

Reaction score
Avila easily as he can slide over to C or any interior OL position where the UF kid is strictly a G

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm a big Bergeron fan myself, but I don't think he makes 58 any more than Torrence does. I like Bergeron in a trade down, Fredbeard-style, but I wouldn't be mad at Torrence at 26. Put either of these brutes next to Tyler and MASH some teams. Avila is a 332-lb. finesse player. NO THANK YOU.

rambo2

Reaction score
I would rank the guards like this.

1, Cody Mauch North Dakota State
2. Darnell Wright Tennessee
3. John Michael Schmitz Minnesota
4.. Steve Avila TCU
5. Atonio Masi UCLA
6. O'Cyrus Torrence Florida
7. Chandler Zavala NC State
8. Andrew Vorhees USC

Mauch and Wright would be moving from tackle to guard and I would take them at 26.
Schmitz would be moving from center to guard. I would take him at 26.
Avila I would take in a trade back.
Masi I would take in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Torrence I would take in the 2nd round.
Zavala I would take in the 3rd round if he passes medical.
Vorhees I would take in the 4th round because of injury.

It looks to me like they will find their left guard in the draft. It wouldn't surprise me if it was Masi.

gtb1943

Reaction score
40 is the highest I have seen from Dane Bruglar, many others have him closer to 50. Taking him at 26 is definitely a reach to fill a need.
Like I said a lot closer to 40 than 60 no matter how you don't like it.

Why some people get so butt hurt over rankings is truly bizarre.

Now I happen to agree that 26 is too high; if none of the top TE's or someone good does not drop to us, I want to see a trade down. Get more picks. Then grab Avila or Torrance.

Carson

Reaction score

Now I happen to agree that 26 is too high; if none of the top TE's or someone good does not drop to us, I want to see a trade down. Get more picks. Then grab Avila or Torrance.
Problem is when nobody is there nobody wants to move up lol

Cowboyny

Reaction score

If you have read my posts before, I am a big supporter of addressing the OL, just don't want them to reach to fill a need. Last time they tried to do the same thing and we drafted Taco Charlton. I view Avilia as a solid player who needs some development, not a future pro bowl type player which you want with your 1st rd selection. Even if he doesn't last to our next selection, there will be other comparable options. I rather have a pro bowl starter in rd 1 and find a solid Guard starter on day 2.

Carson

Reaction score
I cannot imagine two more underwhelming choices
That’s what is always impossible about the draft. You never know who will be left, who goes too early, who falls into your lap.

For me it’s never “Oh man we drafted this guy”. It’s, who we missed out on.

If we take O’Cyrus and the big playmakers like Bijan, Flowers, Addison, Kincaid are all gone I’m ok with it

Not sure what is worse. Having a player go one pick before your pick and not taking the better player.

Spottswoode

Reaction score
I think Torrence, Avila, Mauch, and Bergeron will all be very solid pro guards and while Torrence will definitely be gone, one of the others will be available at 58. I would not use our 26th pick on a guard when you can basically get the same player at 58. One of them will likely even be available early round 3 (my guess is either Bergeron or Mauch). If I were the Cowboys, I would trade back and grab an extra 3rd.

p.s. Nothing more special than your first time.