Both Jones' are unsure with how to proceed on direction of the team

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Has there ever been a clear direction Jerry and Stephen were taking the team? If there has been a plan I would sure like to hear what it is.
They have no direction. No real football business model. They just roll with the flavor of the week. Great salesmen, great marketing people but completely worthless football minds in the salary cap era…..

Blitzen

Reaction score
The notion Jerry Jones would purposely sabotage the Cowboys’ chances of winning football games is ridiculous. He knows the business side of football. He certainly wants players’ agents respecting that and extends respect to agents and their clients. And he is a member of a fairly exclusive club, the controlling owners of an NFL franchise. There is no way he’d do anything to embarrass himself to his colleagues. Torpedoing his own team would not endear himself to NFL coaches, the present ones, and certainly coaches that are potential future hires. Not to mention players. Imagine what Lamb would think of an owner that would do such a thing. Lamb ever becomes a free agent all 31 of the other teams will aggressively try to sign him. Probably wouldn’t talk to the Cowboys. Come on. I get the angst over the loss to the Packers, but some of these posts are over the edge.

I think that it is possible Stephen thinks that the team could benefit financially long term by winning deep in the postseason. Long time fans of the team are going to start dying off soon, and the large base of diehard fans will start needing replacement. I’m sure there are many casual fans out there that view the games as an event, but the product has to deliver on some postseasons or there will eventually be a small number of diehard fans and an extreme number of casual fans.

That is a poor model to sustain revenue long term because if the team somehow cannot sufficiently replace Dak (which will happen sooner or later anyway), then the team could endure several consecutive extremely bad seasons which will cut deeply into viewership and eventually revenue. I think that it’s possible that Stephen sees Dak as a guy that is able to generate the revenue currently, but may be a poor long term investment because of team plateauing, age, and no chance of deeper playoff runs. Purposely not tripling down and trying to keep the current setup (pay the QB big money, pay still productive core players good money, pick up solid cheap depth in free agency) might be his version of sabotage.

Lamb will get a large extension I believe because of both his age and production-same with Micah. They would be part of whatever retool/rebuild that would happen over the next 4-6 seasons-because the chances of them still producing at a high level that many years in the future is still pretty high.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Jerry has been a reactionary owner since day one. They paid some players like Zeke, Jaylon Smith, etc. early and it hampered them so he decided he wasn't going to do that again and now here we are with no decision made on Dak or Lamb and Parsons waiting in the wings.

coult44

Reaction score
I think we are getting to unfamiliar territory for the Jones’ in how to direct/plan for the team’s future. I think both wanted to see more playoff success this past season-not just because of stroking their egos but also because it would make marketing and future planning so much easier. If any season was set up for a deep playoff run (at least CCG)-it was this past one. Don’t have to face SF till that game. Plus, you could endlessly market the fact that you finally broke the 28 year drought even if SF destroyed the team yet again.

I think that GB game actually bummed Jerry out. I think he and Stephen see that the squad has plateaued with Dak, and last season was the best chance they will ever get to market him as a guy that can help advance Dallas in the postseason. That makes planning any future with Dak way more tenuous. It is extremely unlikely that Dak plays more than 5 seasons as a starter (and I think it likely that could plummet if he gets poor or just average offensive line play even for one season-which might happen this season).

I think both Jones’ are unsure with how to even approach a retool season without an apparent future QB to plan around. It has been awhile since they had to start over with a complete unknown (before Romo).

If what I say is true, we fans will not get any public acknowledgement from either Jones (because of the ensuing marketing disaster). They will speak in meaningless platitudes, but may not extend Dak before the season (all but assuring his last season with Dallas).

“I think, I think, I think, I think, I think , I thjnk, “
Everyone has an opinion and thinks something. I give you credit for thinking so much. We will wait and see

:muttley: :thumbup::flagwave:

kskboys

Reaction score
Jerry has been a reactionary owner since day one. They paid some players like Zeke, Jaylon Smith, etc. early and it hampered them so he decided he wasn't going to do that again and now here we are with no decision made on Dak or Lamb and Parsons waiting in the wings.
Yup.

Always comes back to the same thing. Jerry and his cohorts are beyond horrible at understanding the NFL personnel. They simply cannot evaluate players.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Everyone has an opinion and thinks something. I give you credit for thinking so much. We will wait and see

:muttley: :thumbup::flagwave:

It’s good thing this is a forum, otherwise we could just wait for official results and then make a comment. The Chiefs won the superbowl. I will give my opinion on who might win the SB next season the day after it happens.

:muttley:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Here is the problem with that scenario.

We have no QB in waiting to take over for Dak.

Lance is the closest thing we have and he is a total unknown. Shanny watched the kid for 2 years in SF and came to the conclusion that he cant play.

That sends up red flags for me, if Shanny (who is one of the smartest offensive minds in the game) thinks you cant play, I find it very hard to believe that Fat Mike can turn him into anything but a backup.

Now if we draft a QB in the first or second round, then I think it does signal the end for Dak.
Just to be clear, I don't think that running out Dak's contract guarantees that they let him go. If they were to resign him now, his cap hit would go down this year but be even worse in the future. By taking $55m cap hit this year, they make more room in the future for Dak or whichever QB they go with.

The other alternative is free agency/trade. Teams are picking up QB's that way and with that above cap cleared, Dallas may decide to go that route too.

Regardless, IMO Dallas is giving themselves options next year at QB by taking the hit this year. Those options include Dak but also entails risk.

cowboyed

Reaction score
They are completely sure of what they are doing. They are running out MM and Dak's contract in a way that minimizes future cap hit.

What they don't know is how to respond to media questions in a way that is positive when they aren't acting in a way that maximizes talent this year.
Pretty much spot on, and the "all in" is about scoring high in the draft. That would be comforting if the other teams with similar needs weren't drafting. The worst part of early post season exits besides losing games is that you end up drafting in the back end of the early rounds.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All makes sense. Probably much truth there.

Jerry doesn’t want to move on from Dak, but similar to Garrett, there reaches a point when they can’t sell it anymore. I think they want Dak back but only at a certain number, then they can sell it that way. They got a bargain!

In order for that to happen, he has to have a down year, and they seem perfectly willing to do all they can to make that happen.

It’s an illogical way for an 82 year old to approach an off-season this way after you’ve called yourself “close.” Even from the kid’s point of view, seems strange to wish away the rookie deals of your two best players, and “look forward” to paying them big money. What?? You couldn’t win when paying them nothing.

This all adds up to the kid is running everything, and he is in way over his head.
Or, Dak at a certain number allows the team to build around him. Dak as a top 3 paid QB does not and there is a clear need for improvement.

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
What’s the worst scenario for a fraud?

Being exposed.

Having to find the next QB will very likely do exactly that for these two. I fully expect them to cave to France.

Lance being around is nothing more than a feeble attempt at leverage which I’m sure France laughs over.

He was probably like…‘it’s 4/250, 200 fully guaranteed with a full NTC to begin talks’…or we go to free agency in nine months and you have no QB. Good luck.

That’s why theres no extension. If they can’t get him at a discount may as well make him play the year healthy. Jerry was also probably pissed off over that and is now saying….’ok, then we aren’t going to help you on the field. For that money, win games by yourself. Yeah that hurts him in a way but helps his massive ego, which rules the show here if no one has noticed.

The only caveat I see to the Lance situation is if this season goes by way of 2020…Dak goes down for the year on the earlier side, and Lance comes in and plays well. Even if that scenario hits, they will have to overpay him since he would have other offers.

There’s a reason why things don’t seem to add up

No its pretty obvious . Jerry and the FO see what most of us see. Dak is a choking crappy QB who wants to get paid like Mahomes, but plays more like Cousins .
Dak fanbois can cry and moan all they want , but Dak's days as the QB of America's team are finally coming to an end . This is his last year without a doubt .

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
Crap!!!

I stepped into another Dak thread by mistake.

Now I gotta clean my shoes.