Both Jones' are unsure with how to proceed on direction of the team

Pevansjr

Reaction score
Just my two cents, but I think they really truly believed this team was a smash mouth go out and punch teams in the jaw contender when in reality they were great against bad teams and were found wanting against good teams and the Green Bay game left them shell shocked. I certainly get that air of arrogance from the Jones's and some players too (pre planning victory parties before the game was even played).

GoldenR

Reaction score
The issue is the $$$ and they do not know what to do. They have to figure out who they are going to pay and all 3 are top dollar at their positions. 2 of the 3 are going to get the bag and we need to find the next QB and they are wondering if one will fall to them or trade up a bit to get one for the future. If they take an OT then Lance may be your starter next year.If they give all 3 the $$$, we are set back for 3 years, simple logic.

fivetwos

Reaction score
What’s the worst scenario for a fraud?

Being exposed.

Having to find the next QB will very likely do exactly that for these two. I fully expect them to cave to France.

Lance being around is nothing more than a feeble attempt at leverage which I’m sure France laughs over.

He was probably like…‘it’s 4/250, 200 fully guaranteed with a full NTC to begin talks’…or we go to free agency in nine months and you have no QB. Good luck.

That’s why theres no extension. If they can’t get him at a discount may as well make him play the year healthy. Jerry was also probably pissed off over that and is now saying….’ok, then we aren’t going to help you on the field. For that money, win games by yourself. Yeah that hurts him in a way but helps his massive ego, which rules the show here if no one has noticed.

The only caveat I see to the Lance situation is if this season goes by way of 2020…Dak goes down for the year on the earlier side, and Lance comes in and plays well. Even if that scenario hits, they will have to overpay him since he would have other offers.

There’s a reason why things don’t seem to add up

Blitzen

Reaction score
I have no feelings about Dak. but you mentioned Dak multiple times in your post. like I said its a Dak thread in disguise.

my point is its not Dak issue. its a Jones issue, but I guess you have been following the cowboys for the past 5 or 6 years. so I am not surprised

Then your point is why are fans speaking about moving on from their starting QB when they should be focusing their discussions about how the Jones’ have been the single greatest problem in the franchise since Jimmy left. No kidding? We all know it and since that will not be changing even when Dak leaves, I don’t spend much time discussing the immovable elephant in the room.

And this discussion is not supposed to focus on who is to blame for Dak’s failure. Just to discuss the moves this off-season, and how it foreshadows the potential transition to another QB. Also, how the moves don’t seem to add up with the recent m.o. of the front office at all.

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
The FO values its flexibility next off-season. They’ll have no coach under contract, no QB (unless Dak or Lance sign an extension), and players like Zack and Tank are coming off the books. They know they can franchise tag Lamb if they want as well.

My hunch is that Dak gets a deal done after the season. Belichick or MM will likely want him back (at least short term), and that’s the only way to erase the dead cap money you’ve pushed out to 2027.

The rest of the team will definitely be overhauled as I see MM being done, and a new coach will want to put his signature on the team.

ksadler1

Reaction score
Isn't Jimmy Johnson now a consultant for the Cowboys? I bet he could yell them exactly what they need to do in about 2 minutes.

NorthDalal

Reaction score
The Rams are the template.

Built it, went to the Super Bowl and lost, changed the QB and traded all their draft picks, won the Super Bowl, tore it down a bit, and now are surging again.

Compare that to here.
The Rams analysis lacks perspective and is missing important facts,try chewing on a few of these....The Rams blew a 17 pt. lead in their last game to divisional rival SF then won three times by 3 points to win the SB and it took a late poorly thrown INT by Garrapolo and an easy INT drop by Tart to get there. Remember any of that.??? The Rams went 12-5(sound familiar) in the regular season then won 3 pt.games to win the championship.The ball bounced their way.The Rams then won 5 games losing 12 in 2022,and had traded away draft choices in rounds 1-2-3.

In 2023 the Rams stated 3-6 that means their fans suffered through a 8-18 run after their SB win and their shiny new $300. seat stadium was a horror for their front running fans,meanwhile the Cowboys are a disappointment to us all but have a 12-5,12-5,12-5 regular seasons and an NFC East title winning returning team facing a clearly collapsing Eagle rival unsure if their contract with Hurts was a mistake after last year's late collapse.

The Rams template is a high-risk gamble that fails more than it succeeds.....Ask Baltimore,the Jets,Miami and Buffalo how things are working for them.

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
it seems the only thing that could cause them not to be in negotiations with Dak yet is the fact they haven't seen Lance play in preseason yet. And they don't want to say that is the reason, as it would cause huge media focus on Lance.

Or, maybe everyone is right, and they are indeed inept.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
All makes sense. Probably much truth there.

Jerry doesn’t want to move on from Dak, but similar to Garrett, there reaches a point when they can’t sell it anymore. I think they want Dak back but only at a certain number, then they can sell it that way. They got a bargain!

In order for that to happen, he has to have a down year, and they seem perfectly willing to do all they can to make that happen.

It’s an illogical way for an 82 year old to approach an off-season this way after you’ve called yourself “close.” Even from the kid’s point of view, seems strange to wish away the rookie deals of your two best players, and “look forward” to paying them big money. What?? You couldn’t win when paying them nothing.

This all adds up to the kid is running everything, and he is in way over his head.
Way over his head indeed!
Both of them, for many , many wasted seasons.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
The Packers loss coupled with the Texans swift ascension was finally the impetus to get Jerry rethinking things.

There has to be a new football man behind this new philosophy because it's totally unlike Jerry......2025 will reveal the man behind the curtain
Dak Prescott 8 year pro with a 2-5 playoff record and in those 5 losses look absolutely horrible in 4 of them. 3 against the 49-ers and last season against the Packers. His best playoff game has been beating up a horrible TB Bucs team that had no business even being in the playoffs. But no matter, he made up for that by going out and playing horribly against a Packers team that barely got into the playoffs by the skin of their teeth.

Meanwhile, Jerry looks around sees CJ Stroud over in Houston. He sees Geno Smith have a renaissance in Seattle for a fraction of what Dak is costing him. He sees Baker Mayfield in Tampa do something Dak couldn't this season - get out of the first round. He sees Jared Goff go to Detroit and resurrect his career and leading the Lions to their first ever NFC Championship game since 1992 and lose by 3 points. He sees Brock Purdy lead the 49-ers to their second NFC Championship game in back to back years and a SB appearance - all in the span of 2 years. Yea Dak Prescott is real special with that #2 in MVP votes.

Gonzomandela01

Reaction score
Do they want Prescott or do not?

I'm starting to think they, including Mac, finally realized what they got in him and its ugly, but for whatever reason, they can not just come out and say it, so they are scheming some elaborate way of getting rid of him with the lesser harm for the franchise.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I think we are getting to unfamiliar territory for the Jones’ in how to direct/plan for the team’s future. I think both wanted to see more playoff success this past season-not just because of stroking their egos but also because it would make marketing and future planning so much easier. If any season was set up for a deep playoff run (at least CCG)-it was this past one. Don’t have to face SF till that game. Plus, you could endlessly market the fact that you finally broke the 28 year drought even if SF destroyed the team yet again.

I think that GB game actually bummed Jerry out. I think he and Stephen see that the squad has plateaued with Dak, and last season was the best chance they will ever get to market him as a guy that can help advance Dallas in the postseason. That makes planning any future with Dak way more tenuous. It is extremely unlikely that Dak plays more than 5 seasons as a starter (and I think it likely that could plummet if he gets poor or just average offensive line play even for one season-which might happen this season).

I think both Jones’ are unsure with how to even approach a retool season without an apparent future QB to plan around. It has been awhile since they had to start over with a complete unknown (before Romo).

If what I say is true, we fans will not get any public acknowledgement from either Jones (because of the ensuing marketing disaster). They will speak in meaningless platitudes, but may not extend Dak before the season (all but assuring his last season with Dallas).
Time to sell.